Oregon concealed carry question

Discussion in 'Firearm Laws & Legal' started by soberups, Nov 10, 2017.

1. soberups

soberups
    Newberg

Is it legal for someone to carry a concealed handgun without a permit if they are indoors at their office/place of business?
    Long story short: I have a permit, my wife does not, there is an individual at her workplace that she has serious concerns about and she is considering carrying when she is by herself in the office.

Howard1955 likes this.
  2. v0lcom13sn0w

v0lcom13sn0w
    Keizer
    Silver Supporter Silver Supporter

i think her concerns should be addressed by HR.

as far as carrying concealed without a license i cant answer your question here but i know what i would do.

3. RicInOR

RicInOR
    Washington County
    Bronze Supporter Bronze Supporter

Private?

If so, check your HR policies. If in a private building, there could be a second set of requirements to comply with. Example an office tower -

Federal? School? Post Office?

Help her take an on-line course over the weekend, and get a permit application started next week.

4. Aero Denezol

Aero Denezol
    Salem

I could be wrong, but I think you have to be the owner of the company to carry concealed at work without a permit..

Howard1955 and CountryGent like this.
  5. v0lcom13sn0w

v0lcom13sn0w
    Keizer

or the property the building is on. idk

6. v0lcom13sn0w

v0lcom13sn0w
    Keizer

at my work we cant have guns but i would estimate 50-60% of the employees here have CHLs and bring their EDC including myself.

would be a bad place to come start somethin.

7. The Heretic

The Heretic
    Oregon

I can't find it right now, but I thought that in Orygun it is legal to carry concealed in a place of employment, without a permit, assuming that employer approves.

BUT - I think I am wrong:

ORS 166.250 - Unlawful possession of firearms - 2015 Oregon Revised Statutes

The exception makes no mention of concealed guns.

It would be better to just have a permit and the employer's written permission.

Also, as others have said, if the person is that much of a perceived threat, then your SO should get HR involved.

Most employers specifically prohibit weapons of any kind in the workplace so it would be an exceptional one that allows you to carry a gun at work. Mine does, as does the building owners too. Then there are all the other prohibitions; certain public and government buildings/offices, etc.

Camelfilter likes this.
  8. Camelfilter

Camelfilter
    Salem
    Bronze Supporter Bronze Supporter

No.

My primary thought proccess of this is that it would more likely be concealed for her to get it there in the first place (in a purse, bag, box or on her person).

It would also be concealed while driving to and frow.

Unless somehow she carries it boxed/unloaded, then loads it & conceals it while at work, then unloads it & boxes it back up while going anywhere.

9. Nick Burkhardt

Nick Burkhardt
    NE Oregon

Pepper spray is her new best friend.

Howard1955 and TeacherSmurf like this.
  10. OldTengu

OldTengu
    East Multnomah county

Lame. I can't carry at work because it's currently an atf violation to do so, but the owners of the business would fully support a decision on my part to carry if it wasn't.

Most days I feel like a steak in a Lions den.

Howard1955 likes this.
  11. OldTengu

OldTengu
    East Multnomah county

Also, at the risk of sounding ignorant, are CHL holders ok for person to person sales without an FFL? I'm certain that the answer is no, but, I have seen ads (on this site even), that say that they prefer to sell to CHL holders. Did I miss something?

Howard1955 likes this.
  12. v0lcom13sn0w

v0lcom13sn0w
    Keizer

No. all sales req transfer

;)

Howard1955 and OldTengu like this.
  13. OldTengu

OldTengu
    East Multnomah county

That's what I'd read, but wanted to verify. Any particular reason why this preference would be stated?

Howard1955 and v0lcom13sn0w like this.
  14. HB of CJ

HB of CJ
    42N, 123W Kinda

The property owner can CC carry on his/her personal and private property? Yes? Without a CC permit? Yes? Inside you home would be an example. Outside on your private personal property another example. But I do not know if an associate or employee can also CC carry without a CC permit with permission of the owner. Grey area?

Also if you have imaginary or real deal concerns about another employee then perhaps this all should be addressed by other means. I had a MD Doc appointment this afternoon. I had to disarm myself to go inside the doctors office building. They had that silly stupid free kill zone sign. The ladies in the front office are all known to me.

When I asked them about the free kill zone they got instantly mad and very hostile. I had to change the subject fast. Strange how they went from zero to pissed so quick. One nice lady said that in Cave Junction everybody carries only not inside the Doctors office. Made no sense to me but there you have it. The Doc hunts Elk. No guns inside..

The guys at OFF would know your needful answers.

Last edited: Nov 10, 2017
    Howard1955 likes this.
  15. v0lcom13sn0w

v0lcom13sn0w
    Keizer

my guess is its because some people want to know that one can pass a BGC before hand so that there is less chance for a set back at the FFL.

16. Hayshaker

Hayshaker
    Irrigon

GET THE PERMIT as you will have to carry it back and forth from home or leave it at the office where some one will be happy to take care of it for you ~~~ permanently.

OldTengu likes this.
  17. Dyjital

Dyjital
    Albany, Ore
    Flavorite Member Bronze Supporter

No.

Last edited: Nov 10, 2017
    OldTengu likes this.
  18. The Heretic

The Heretic
    Oregon

No.

I believe there is a similar exception in WA state that uses a more technical legal terminology for residence that escapes me right now, but the gist of what I am getting is that it has to be your residence or place of business. There have been court cases (don't make me look them up) - e.g., where a person was carrying concealed when he went to his truck from his house, still on his property, without a permit, and he was convicted of violating the law because the court decide this was not his residence because he was outside his house. There were some other cases, including one where the guy was in a tent (I believe he got off on that one).

It is important, to be safe, to interpret the law as narrowly as possible with regards to what you can do and as widely as possible with regards to what the government will convict you of.

Even safer would be to just get the silly permit and then you are covered for the most part (mea culpa - I need to do this).

I too used to think it was fine to carry concealed anywhere on your property, but then I read of these cases and court decisions.

Disclaimer: I am working from my flawed memory here. It would be better to find the laws and case precedents yourself, and even better to consult an attorney knowledgable in this area of the law.

Camelfilter likes this.
  19. cigars

cigars
    Beaverton, USA
    Cav Scout/Armorer/Cold War/Communist Borders Platinum Supporter 2016 Volunteer

If you are outside your domicile you need to have your permit with you if are carrying concealed. Why wouldn't you have it on your person outside the home?

20. OldTengu

OldTengu
    East Multnomah county

That is something I hadn't thought of. I was fairly certain I was right, I really just like to plan against my own ignorance, as well as that of others.