JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Trying to solve problems that don't exist. And spending taxpayers money to do it.:mad:

Yep. The kind of "3D Printing" ( or Additive Manufacturing as we call it, in the manufacturing world) required to build anything approximating a quality firearm would require access to a very, very, expensive machine, and lots of time.

You are better off buying a block of aluminum and a steel, and machining your own parts on a traditional CNC mill/lathe from a 2D print.

Darnit these guys are making me want to buy a 3D printer. I was going to wait a few years for the technology to improve but these guys are literally awesome salesmen. I even know a 80% aluminum receiver is superior in almost all respects to a 3D plastic receiver but Darn Darn double Darn I want one now.

Darnit these guys are making me want to buy a 3D printer. I was going to wait a few years for the technology to improve but these guys are literally awesome salesmen. I even know a 80% aluminum receiver is superior in almost all respects to a 3D plastic receiver but Darn Darn double Darn I want one now.
Making me want both a SLP and a CNC system... what's the smallest, most compact CNC rig that'll do a 1911 frame and 7" slide and/or AR lower?

Well the only solution is to lock down the internet and prohibit sites like China. Then only outlaws, those with proxies, or those in power get real internet...no internet for the plebes. Give them 1995 AOL or CompuServe...

Political theater, Truly practical 3d printed firearms still require 3d metal printers that cost hundreds of thousands of dollars...

On the other hand... Decent CNC machines are cheap enough now that it would not be surprising if major transnational Criminal Organizations make their own weapons... Don't see any plans to increase regulation of CNC machines in the works though...

Political theater, Truly practical 3d printed firearms still require 3d metal printers that cost hundreds of thousands of dollars...

On the other hand... Decent CNC machines are cheap enough now that it would not be surprising if major transnational Criminal Organizations make their own weapons... Don't see any plans to increase regulation of CNC machines in the works though...

That's right. Laser sintering of powdered metal is very expensive and very slow, and the finishes are nowhere near as good as you can get from traditional CNC machines. You would still have to go in after the fact and manually grind and polish all of the parts. Those 3D printers you can get at Best Buy that melt the plastic rods, those are barely good enough for making a coffee cup.

As it currently stands, the advantage of 3D printing is for prototyping and making models (proof of concept, etc.) It could be useful to generate spare parts in space, or underwater. Building your own gun collection using a 3D printer is just not cost-effective for 100 reasons.

Back to school shopping season is here and soon school will be back in session too. The attacks on our rights are going to resume in earnest the first time a kid is apprehended with a gun somewhere. We need to be vigilant in our communities and stop the little terrorists before they get started. And we need to keep the pressure up going into the election. If we don't send a strong message in November, the legislature will for sure move against us in 2019.

Here is a good source for conversions and a complete CNC mill
https://littlemachineshop.com/images/gallery/instructions/CNCHiTorqueMiniMill.pdf

Yep. The kind of "3D Printing" ( or Additive Manufacturing as we call it, in the manufacturing world) required to build anything approximating a quality firearm would require access to a very, very, expensive machine, and lots of time.

You are better off buying a block of aluminum and a steel, and machining your own parts on a traditional CNC mill/lathe from a 2D print.

Yeah. And you could be reasonably sure it would not blow up in your hand on the 3d or 4th shot!!

Good grief I have seen exact duplicates of something as detailed as a Marlin model 39 made by some guy at home. You can easily acquire the plans for a Gatling gun in both .22 rim fire and full scale.

I know people who scratch build beautiful muzzle loading rifles and pistols. You don't think they or I couldn't make a few more parts and have a firearm.

A 12 gauge shell fits in certain sizes of 3/4 steel water pipe. It takes but a few minutes to cut another piece that slides over the outside of that to contain the firing pin. Anyone with a drill press and a little mechanical common sense can fabricate a slide fire shotgun in less than an hour. There's were several youtube videos that explained it in detail. Why all the excitement over a plastic handgun that appears harder to assemble in my opinion and requires some advanced equipment.

A 12 gauge shell fits in certain sizes of 3/4 steel water pipe. It takes but a few minutes to cut another piece that slides over the outside of that to contain the firing pin. Anyone with a drill press and a little mechanical common sense can fabricate a slide fire shotgun in less than an hour. There's were several youtube videos that explained it in detail. Why all the excitement over a plastic handgun that appears harder to assemble in my opinion and requires some advanced equipment.
Don't divers call those "powerheads" or "bangsticks" for dissuading overaggressive sharks?

Don't divers call those "powerheads" or "bangsticks" for dissuading overaggressive sharks?

I was going post a PDF of instructions for the "Four Winds" to show how easily the 'build your own' information can be found, but felt that might muddy the thread. Anyway, that is the more common land lubber name.

It is political grandstanding. The blueprints/plans are already available on the web and they are not going to make them magically disappear. You can find them on aisle 3 right next the plans to build a home made bomb.

Attorney General Ellen Rosenblum. "Once these tutorials to build 3D-guns are unblocked, there is no turning back. This action has been taken in utter disregard for public safety and I will not stand for it."

Well then Ellen, go find your safe space and lay down. ...

Just for troll points, someone should send her a link to fosscad.org and encourage her to send them a cease and desist letter.

$ whois fosscad.org

Domain Name: FOSSCAD.ORG
Registry Domain ID: D169368731-LROR
Updated Date: 2017-07-16T17:56:24Z
Creation Date: 2013-08-05T20:49:55Z
Registry Expiry Date: 2019-08-05T20:49:55Z
Registrar Registration Expiration Date:
Registrant State/Province: Panama
Registrant Country: PA

Upcoming Events

Lakeview Spring Gun Show
Lakeview, OR