JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
I think the best advice of I have heard on this is the idea of "hard lines". You set certain parameters that no matter what the how bad the tactical situation you will fight. They pointed out that if a criminal tells you to lay on the floor or tries to tie you up, they want to do something that they can't do with you uncontrolled. If the try to take you or your family member to another location it is because they want to do something that can't be done right there. In those circumstances you have to fight.

Yep.. I've faced much scarier bubblegum than a tweeker with a gun. I'm ready to go home to Glory whenever my Master calls me. That I'll "comply" with.

But I'm NOT ready to be tied up to watch my family be brutalized because I complied with the orders of a scum sucker. Pull a gun on me, you're about to be shot. And whether I'm armed or not ('cause if you are, I'm about to be)

A man in Lane County was confronted by a burglar inside his home who pointed a realistic looking gun at him, and ordered him to get on the floor. Would you comply in such a scenario?

This homeowner did not. Instead, he jumped the intruder, and proceed to beat the living daylights out of him. While the prowler escaped, he was arrested a little while later when he showed up at a hospital seeking treatment for his significant head injuries. The home owner had severely beaten him on his head.

Here is a full news report:

http://registerguard.com/rg/news/lo...-be-robber-beaten-by-would-be-victim.html.csp

What do you think of this incident? Could something like this ever happen to you in your home? Or do you have enough safeguards in place to make this unlikely? Does anyone ever carry while inside their home?

As it turned out, the intruder's gun was only a pellet pistol. The news story does not say whether the home owner was able to recognize the gun as being a fake or not.

Here is the perp's booking photo, after he was treated at the hospital:

View attachment 241431

A man in Lane County was confronted by a burglar inside his home who pointed a realistic looking gun at him, and ordered him to get on the floor. Would you comply in such a scenario?

This homeowner did not. Instead, he jumped the intruder, and proceed to beat the living daylights out of him. While the prowler escaped, he was arrested a little while later when he showed up at a hospital seeking treatment for his significant head injuries. The home owner had severely beaten him on his head.

Here is a full news report:

http://registerguard.com/rg/news/lo...-be-robber-beaten-by-would-be-victim.html.csp

What do you think of this incident? Could something like this ever happen to you in your home? Or do you have enough safeguards in place to make this unlikely? Does anyone ever carry while inside their home?

As it turned out, the intruder's gun was only a pellet pistol. The news story does not say whether the home owner was able to recognize the gun as being a fake or not.

Here is the perp's booking photo, after he was treated at the hospital:

View attachment 241431
I'm too old to comply. Just like I wouldn't let a guy with a gun tell me to get into the trunk of the car. I would rather be shot. Imagine if they had control of your body, what horrors they could do to you. It's better to fight than to comply. I'm with the home owner. I'm old and a black belt and I still work out. I also write article for survival and martial art magazines. I never condone someone giving up like a mangy dog! Be a man or woman and fight for your rights and life!

The main idea is to never let it get that far.
Sure ,Ben I'm sure you could take a gun from anyone.Maybe. Maybe he has the same traning or more than you? Always someone tougher or faster
No need to fight anyone if you have your security plans in order and ready for a break in
Remember,as soon as he came into your house with you there,he was willing to risk his life for something he needed more than you do,in his mind.
Maybe it's your life?

Simply, the perp was not injured enough. It needed to be imprinted on his brain much more that doing what he did is a bad move never to be repeated. Imprint imprint imprint !! and then Imprint once more to make sure it set in.

Sure ,Ben I'm sure you could take a gun from anyone.Maybe. Maybe he has the same traning or more than you? Always someone tougher or faster
No need to fight anyone if you have your security plans in order and ready for a break in
Remember,as soon as he came into your house with you there,he was willing to risk his life for something he needed more than you do,in his mind.
Maybe it's your life?

Darn right. I would just Jackie Chan it and pull the slide off. That is if they are stupid enough to hold their gun within arms reach of me. Hopefully I never let it get that far. If I do I will certainly not comply but I dunno that I could take a gun away from someone who could be well trained.
I am a paranoid fella and have had a gun held on me before. After that I do not go anywhere without a gun...Including my back yard. I have one in my pajama pocket until I go to bed. You are going to have to get a serious surprising entrance to avoid me getting to my gun. Kick in the door, break a window, pretty much anything and the alarm goes off. Then a loud bang and its over....For me or them but I will not comply.
Those who feel they can "get to their gun" after they have one pointed at them are living a fantasy of mall ninja syndrome. We can pull our gun first but it is not the movies where you just quickly pull a gun out of someones hand. In real life I would say you would have to be pretty damn bad bubblegum to be confident that in a bad situation that is how you handle it. Good luck to ya if you think that. I keep my gun on me and continue to have it in hand whenever there is a noise that is not normal around my home.
Not chancing finding out how tough I am when I have a family to protect. We have guns. No need to practice your martial arts on a bad guy in your house. At that point it is you or them. Your confidence in hand to hand means nothing. Your bullets mean a lot.

Maybe it's your life?

Well, that shouldn't have to be said, but I'm glad you did. People should secure their homes first and go from there. Good point.

Darn right. I would just Jackie Chan it and pull the slide off. That is if they are stupid enough to hold their gun within arms reach of me. Hopefully I never let it get that far. If I do I will certainly not comply but I dunno that I could take a gun away from someone who could be well trained.
I am a paranoid fella and have had a gun held on me before. After that I do not go anywhere without a gun...Including my back yard. I have one in my pajama pocket until I go to bed. You are going to have to get a serious surprising entrance to avoid me getting to my gun. Kick in the door, break a window, pretty much anything and the alarm goes off. Then a loud bang and its over....For me or them but I will not comply.
Those who feel they can "get to their gun" after they have one pointed at them are living a fantasy of mall ninja syndrome. We can pull our gun first but it is not the movies where you just quickly pull a gun out of someones hand. In real life I would say you would have to be pretty damn bad bubblegum to be confident that in a bad situation that is how you handle it. Good luck to ya if you think that. I keep my gun on me and continue to have it in hand whenever there is a noise that is not normal around my home.
Not chancing finding out how tough I am when I have a family to protect. We have guns. No need to practice your martial arts on a bad guy in your house. At that point it is you or them. Your confidence in hand to hand means nothing. Your bullets mean a lot.

Just throwing this out there 40cal :s0004:

Well just goes to show what happens when you put it in a persons face that might not panic as much as others. I like the guys reaction. Grab it and go after the idiot putting it in your face. I know that anyone with any sort of training is not going to be dumb enough to get right up in your face like that...I hope if someone comes at me that is how they do it.

Exactly. As we age, we become more like prey. Even though I still am adept at martial arts, but I'm no fool. The tables could turn at any second, life is not a movie! So around the house I carry a small North American Arms revolver; small .22 mag and a tiny .22 lr and any one time. By carrying tiny guns, I'm more sure that I will always have it on me.

Reminds me of a true story: A knock at the door and a eighty year old man answers it. Two young men rush in and knock him to the floor and start kicking him. He pulls our his tiny .22 lr revolver and peppers both of them. They run like screaming rabbits. Police gets them at the ER room.

One important note, things like the above happens because they have only one door and they open it. I have a high security metal screen door and a regular wooden front door. They are both always locked. I can open the main door and still be protected by the heavy duty screen door. People should invest in something like that, because once you open your front door, there's nothing between you and scum, except air.

Sifu

As far as I know, anyone that illegally enters your home with the intent to steal or rob, is pretty much fair game under Oregon law. It is doubtful that you will be charged, even if you resort to using lethal force.

Although I would still advise that people only consider lethal force, if they absolutely believe that their life is in danger.

Above all, never shoot an intruder in the back, as they are about to leave your residence, or fleeing outside your home. Doing that will generally lead to charges being filed against you.

And never fire warning shots into the ground or into the air too. The courts seem to frown on doing that.

To add on... You are only allowed to legally kill someone if they make a move towards you or grab a possible weapon.

I would most likely obey at first to give him/her a false sense of power, then when the gun is close enough to me grab the gun, twist it out of his hands while also giving his central vessel region (middle of the wrist) a good hard push with the thumb (try it lightly and you will soon realize why it works:D). Then toss the gun and give him a good blast of some of my martial arts training to subdue him while I call the cops and hold him there until they get there. That would be if I didn't have a gun on me and his brain was still intact. This may sound crazy to some of you but I would rather die protecting loved ones than not trying. (Ya'll probably think I am pure nutters now)

I would try to smoke him with laying down and when close, I would make my move. Standing, my main move, that works, slap the back of the hand at same time strike inside his wrist. This will usually knock the gun or knife out of his hand.
One thing I would not let him do is tie me downl.
Sifu

I would yell one word. It sounds normal. It is the signal for my dogs to attack. It is also a word that would seem appropriate. My male dog is a fearsome beast indeed, so I suspect even if I never gave the signal, he would charge. My female would circle. They are large old English Bulls. The male baits from the front the female circles from behind and both attack simultaneously. You don't want to know how fast they can destroy raccoons.

I work in a psych ward so I have a bag of dirty melee tricks and am usually armed at home. I get a lot of death threats at work from certain folks who are genuinely dangerous. So I would probably appear to comply at first, stumble and then go to fighting however seemed appropriate. Fortunately, I have a fair bit of experience being attacked at work so it doesn't seem too weird and I have learned to keep my head.

If I am wearing pants, there is a Ruger LC9s in my pocket (holstered) or IWB waist. If not, there is a loaded pistol, rifle or shotgun in a quick access safe only one room away. Except the kitchen, damn! Fridge safe?

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top