JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
A man in Lane County was confronted by a burglar inside his home who pointed a realistic looking gun at him, and ordered him to get on the floor. Would you comply in such a scenario?

This homeowner did not. Instead, he jumped the intruder, and proceed to beat the living daylights out of him. While the prowler escaped, he was arrested a little while later when he showed up at a hospital seeking treatment for his significant head injuries. The home owner had severely beaten him on his head.

Here is a full news report:

http://registerguard.com/rg/news/lo...-be-robber-beaten-by-would-be-victim.html.csp

What do you think of this incident? Could something like this ever happen to you in your home? Or do you have enough safeguards in place to make this unlikely? Does anyone ever carry while inside their home?

As it turned out, the intruder's gun was only a pellet pistol. The news story does not say whether the home owner was able to recognize the gun as being a fake or not.

Here is the perp's booking photo, after he was treated at the hospital:

3918380.jpg

Last Edited:
Every situation is different. I have plans in place if I ever had to confront a invader in my home. Some involve engaging them at some point but honestly if I had the option of just getting everyone clear and safe I would choose that over confrontation. I would rather lose everything than risk a confrontation where a family member got hurt. Stuff is insured and replaceable.

If it came to violence then I will stop the intruder or die trying. I will not be restrained or subdued

+1 to IronMonster's post. Could it happen in my home? Sure, I don't live in a vault. But we take reasonable precautions from locked doors/windows when we're home, to lighting outside, to keeping plants away from windows to limit hiding spots. Doors are dead-bolted as well as the regular locks. While I do carry inside sometimes, it's not always practical (like in PJ's) so at those times, since we have a kid in the house, the gun(s) are in various places, locked away, but accessible. We also have several cans of pepper spray in strategic locations in the house, and other items that could be improvised easily into a defensive weapon.

As for attacking an intruder, it depends on a lot of factors. I would have to size myself up against him, consider his strengths against my own, maybe consider if he seems to be cogent or hopped up on drugs, etc. Like IM said, I would always prefer to get my family away, or, if possible, barricade in place with a weapon in hand and let the police handle it. I sleep with a cell phone next to me so we always have a chance to call if something goes down.

But if it came down to it, if my wife/daughter's lives were in danger, or my own were in danger, they would not get a compliant victim.

My grandfather, twice, faced down 4 intruders during home invasion robberies back in the 80's in SE PDX. Each time, he confronted them, 4 against 1 with a simple shotgun, and each time, they all fled, without a single shot fired. After the 2nd time, they never came back. I could only hope to have inherited the brass set he had if I'm ever in the same situation.

The perp doesn't look very beat-up.
He still has his eyes and throat

It would seem that the home owner was more intent on bashing his brains in.

Is it better to punch in the eyes? Is that considered a more disabling blow to use against an attacker? Despite all the blows to his head, the intruder was able to escape.

I've heard comments that the throat is indeed a vulnerable target.

Just so you know. I keep my door locked. Not to protect me!
But to protect the poor SOB that could accidently enter my house! ;)

As far as I know, anyone that illegally enters your home with the intent to steal or rob, is pretty much fair game under Oregon law. It is doubtful that you will be charged, even if you resort to using lethal force.

Although I would still advise that people only consider lethal force, if they absolutely believe that their life is in danger.

Above all, never shoot an intruder in the back, as they are about to leave your residence, or fleeing outside your home. Doing that will generally lead to charges being filed against you.

And never fire warning shots into the ground or into the air too. The courts seem to frown on doing that.

As far as I know, anyone that illegally enters your home with the intent to steal or rob, is pretty much fair game under Oregon law. It is doubtful that you will be charged, even if you resort to using lethal force.

Although I would still advise that people only consider lethal force, if they absolutely believe that their life is in danger.

Above all, never shoot an intruder in the back, as they are about to leave your residence, or fleeing outside your home. Doing that will generally lead to charges being filed against you.

And never fire warning shots into the ground or into the air too. The courts seem to frown on doing that.

Thank You Cpt. Obvious!

However . You for got to tell me, Don't wrap Bacon around my pecker and tease a pit bull! :s0123: Geezzzz!

Thank You Cpt. Obvious!

However . You for got to tell me, Don't wrap Bacon around my pecker and tease a pit bull! :s0123: Geezzzz!

May seem obvious to you, but people do make these mistakes in the real world. Just a couple of years ago where I live, an elderly woman chased a burglar off her property, and fired on him as he fled down the street. Fortunately she missed and did not hit him.

People often make bad decisions when under stress.

I wouldn'tcomply to any of the intruders orders.Once you do,you are definitely at their mercy.
If he is violent,he may beat you either way.
Today would have been a bad day too.I was sharpening axes.people look at you funny wen you walk around with axes.
And this is like the 'tied up' thread.I think one needs to rethink their security plan if you get this far with an intruder

Yep, never comply with a perp, if you do things can go sideways fast. Have a plan and practice it seriously!!!
My dogs let me know when anyone comes down our gravel road, that gets me up to check out who, what and why they are there, especially late at night as I only have 2 neighbors on this long gravel road....

They playfully call me the Gate keeper but I don't take it lightly, I AM THE GATE KEEPER!!!

May seem obvious to you, but people do make these mistakes in the real world. Just a couple of years ago where I live, an elderly woman chased a burglar off her property, and fired on him as he fled down the street. Fortunately she missed and did not hit him.

People often make bad decisions when under stress.

I don't see any mistakes here

'I was in a lot of fights as a kid. I learned one thing for sure. Letting the other guy start or control wasn't a winning strategy. Now since I was a whopping 120lb fighting with kids 6'3 and 250lbs plus I rarely thought I had won anything. But I knew not one of them ever got away clean.

Same here I would no more stand up and let some Nazi shoot me against the wall or Camel banger cut my head of while I kneeled in from of him, then I would lay down in my own house and let some A hole take control.

I want to make sure the only statement I have to make when its over is:

I was in fear for my life and I fired until the threat was no more.
or
I was in fear for my life and I swung the short softball bat behind every door in the house until the threat was no more
or
I was in fear for my life and I stuck my hand made kitchen knife in the threat until it was no more.
Or
I was in fear for my life so I grabbed the threat's cheeks and pulled until my thumbs went through his eye holes and the treat was no more.

Get my drift? None of these have anything to do with me laying on the floor until I am dead.

Is it better to punch in the eyes? Is that considered a more disabling blow to use against an attacker?
Despite all the blows to his head, the intruder was able to escape.

Lance;
The perpetrator demanded submission, threatened lethal force
The victim did his best with what he had and lived.
He damaged the scalp, maybe cracked the skull.
The skull is the brain's armor.

Submission or defiance in the face of certain death?

Think ahead, what do you do?

I am a Marine, A volunteer fire-EMT.
Humans are built with armor.
Ribs overlap from above protecting the vitals, skull protects the brain.
Vertebrae protect the spinal cord
The target's infirmities? Oxygen, central nervous system, mobility
Deny oxygen. Strike the throat, crush the windpipe. Punch to break your knuckles
Strike the base of the skull to traumatize the spinal cord.
Deny vision. Gouge the eyes. Punch with fingers to break your bones.
Punch the kidneys, pain like fire, he'll piss blood for days.
Deny mobility. Kick his kneecap, crush his ankle, take him down.
Strike straight into the target with all your might.
DOMINATE THE FIGHT your life or his.
I'm an old man, a youngster could run rings around me, if I allow it.
P.S. Guard your infirmities

Is it better to punch in the eyes? Is that considered a more disabling blow to use against an attacker? Despite all the blows to his head, the intruder was able to escape.

If you read the story, the home owner put him in a headlock, took him to took the front door and threw him out!. Seems to me he handled it perfectly.

Upcoming Events

Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR
Falcon Gun Show - Classic Gun & Knife Show
Stanwood, WA
Lakeview Spring Gun Show
Lakeview, OR
Teen Rifle 1 Class
Springfield, OR
Kids Firearm Safety 2 Class
Springfield, OR

New Resource Reviews