JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
We have a six year old so every firearm is locked up. I bought three of those simplex ShotLock gun vaults from Outdoor Emporium in Seattle this summer. We also have a few cans of pepper spray staged in high areas of the house. I guess I should add one to the kitchen and hall bathroom since I don't like storing firearms in areas subject to high humidity.
One more thing, and this goes forever every one on this website: a locked up gun is no protection because sometime you may have only a few seconds to protect yourself and your family. You don't have to have a "big gun" but just carry a tiny gun to back him off as you go get a big gun. I'm talking about something like a NAA .22lr revolver. I always have it in my pocket when at home. At close range, it will make him thing he's been shot with a larger round.
There's a true story of a 80 year old man that used one against two thugs that broke in and knocked him to the floor. He whipped it out of his pocket and started firing. The young thugs screamed and ran out the door.
Sifu

This.... only my wife didn't take long to adapt, thankfully! She only raises an eyebrow if i have my full size 9 out at home vs a pocket carry.

Only time I don't have a sidearm on me at home is when I'm sleeping (there's two within arms reach) and when I'm in the shower (there's one within a step or two of the shower.

As I posted in another thread, I carry all the time, even when at home. It's taken the wife a long time to understand and accept that fact. The more she watches the news, the more she understands why...

IMG_4623.JPG

This guy figured it out

I understand and agree with the "carry at home" mantra. I'm sitting at the kitchen table right now with a G26 on my hip. But there are definitely moments at home I'm not carrying.

At least 45-60 minutes from wake-up to dressed...not armed.
At least 30 minutes from undress/get ready for bed...not armed.
Obviously during sleeping hours...not armed.

Those are the times that staging guns around the house is imperative. But that is expensive and requires multiple guns and storage solutions. Everyone is unprepared at some point in their day. So everyone should think of ways they would respond unarmed and stop saying that they ALWAYS carry at home. No you don't!

I understand and agree with the "carry at home" mantra. I'm sitting at the kitchen table right now with a G26 on my hip. But there are definitely moments at home I'm not carrying.

At least 45-60 minutes from wake-up to dressed...not armed.
At least 30 minutes from undress/get ready for bed...not armed.
Obviously during sleeping hours...not armed.

Those are the times that staging guns around the house is imperative. But that is expensive and requires multiple guns and storage solutions. Everyone is unprepared at some point in their day. So everyone should think of ways they would respond unarmed and stop saying that they ALWAYS carry at home. No you don't!
When I don't have a gun on me, I have a large knife at pretty much all times.

I carry at home and have stashes throughout the house and garage and vehicles! I'm afraid that I might have to fight. Not much lay down in my kin.
Of course I can still assess as I go! Something like ok, maybe I won't have to take this kids life!

I have actually looked at getting a .22 pistol and loading it up with some CCI shotshells. Get a good pepper in on them and it would hurt like hell.
Sounds like a good way to piss someone off to me. If I am going to reach the point of pulling a gun and firing, it will be to stop a lethal threat. Would I trust to .22 CCI shotshells for that?

Sounds like a good way to piss someone off to me. If I am going to reach the point of pulling a gun and firing, it will be to stop a lethal threat. Would I trust to .22 CCI shotshells for that?

Exactly our thought process.

No warning shot, no wounding shot(s), fire only if imminent demise. Continue to do so until the threat has stopped.

If our firing results in just wounding the assailant, I'm perfectly fine with that, however the intention is to stop the threat by any and all means at the point of using lethal force.

Firing at someone (any gun, any round) is deadly force. I wouldn't "waste" a legal justification to use deadly force with some sub-par projectile. If someone is behaving in such a manner that I am justified to use deadly force to stop them, I am shooting a service caliber center of mass until the threat stops.

And that gun is either getting drawn out of my holster or out of that drawer over there...over there...over there...or out of that cabinet over there...over there...or over there.

We have a six year old so every firearm is locked up. I bought three of those simplex ShotLock gun vaults from Outdoor Emporium in Seattle this summer. We also have a few cans of pepper spray staged in high areas of the house. I guess I should add one to the kitchen and hall bathroom since I don't like storing firearms in areas subject to high humidity.

I like those boxes with the mechanical Simplex locks. Still have a few from when we had little ones. Not used any more but keep them in case. As for humidity it's not a real bad culprit. The real problem is salt air/ moister. If you want to keep a lock box anywhere that gets higher humidity get something in either stainless or one of the polymer guns that have some form of "bluing" that's not the deep rich expensive stuff. Stainless will rust, the kind guns are made from. It takes a lot more to do real damage to it though. Even the others just need a little TLC now and then. Cleaned and lubed well they are fine. You don't need to keep some high end gun that you are worried about maybe selling decades from now and want to keep "pretty". Ammo will be fine in this kind of area. I take one pistol with me to the bath for shower when I'm here alone. It's often damp when done. Let it dry and it's fine. Seems I never get in the shower that someone does not come to the damn door. I often joke that if I'm waiting for a delivery all I have to do is get in the shower and it will show up. Why this bothers me is often thieves will come and knock at front. When no one answers they move to where they want to break in.

The situation is never going to get to the point of being held at gunpoint for me. The difference between victim and victor is all in what you are prepared to do. Most people in these situations don't decide what to do until it is too late. I'm prepared to do what's necessary, which does not include compliance, and probably involves someone dying.

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top