JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
Hey All,

Born, raised and lived in Portland area for most of my life. Wife and I moved to Idaho this summer, however most of our immediate and extended family as well as childhood friends live in MultCo. So, will be in the area often. Unfortunately never applied for my CHL despite getting the training certificate etc.

Trying to figure out what county would make the most sense and be most likely to accept my application for a CHL. MultCo Sheriff's site makes note of WA residents, but not Idaho. However, I will be spending 99% of my time in MultCo when in OR, and of course the In-person applications make more sense in a place where I will be anyway. I am about 3hrs away from the OR border, 6 from PDX.

I hear there are other counties that are friendly to bordering states as well, but I assume they still need a reason to issue, and require an in-person application? There is also the refusal to issue right now in some counties due to Covid.

Any tips on this? Anyone else navigated similar waters recently? Is having parents, grandparents, siblings etc in the area a good enough reason?

Thanks all!

I sent my form in to Multnomah County October 16.
My appointment is scheduled for Feb. 23
Over 100 days out.:confused:
I think you should just apply for your permit in the OR county nearest to where you live in ID. You'll need to take a class to get your OR permit and usually that class will also be good for a Utah permit as well and the Utah permit is recognized in most of the United States.

Reason for a permit? A pal said self-defense and it's his Second Amendment right. That was good enough for his permit,

Good luck!

What I meant was the process might be a lot faster in a rural county and the permit is valid statewide regardless of what county you get it from.

Hey All,

Born, raised and lived in Portland area for most of my life. Wife and I moved to Idaho this summer, however most of our immediate and extended family as well as childhood friends live in MultCo. So, will be in the area often. Unfortunately never applied for my CHL despite getting the training certificate etc.

Trying to figure out what county would make the most sense and be most likely to accept my application for a CHL. MultCo Sheriff's site makes note of WA residents, but not Idaho. However, I will be spending 99% of my time in MultCo when in OR, and of course the In-person applications make more sense in a place where I will be anyway. I am about 3hrs away from the OR border, 6 from PDX.

I hear there are other counties that are friendly to bordering states as well, but I assume they still need a reason to issue, and require an in-person application? There is also the refusal to issue right now in some counties due to Covid.

Any tips on this? Anyone else navigated similar waters recently? Is having parents, grandparents, siblings etc in the area a good enough reason?

Thanks all!
Get in touch with Grant County, Oregon's Sheriff, Glenn Palmer. He's very 2A friendly and if he can't help you I'm sure he can direct you to someone who can (if anyone can).

Hey All,

Thanks all!
Hi neighbor. Got my OR CHL from Klamath County several years before moving to ID. Not wanting to disarm at the CA OR border or avoiding driving through OR on my way to ID to visit family was sufficient good reason. From what I understand, Grant County is even more 2A (CCW) friendly. Was planning on transferring my OR CHL to Grant County until Klamath started allowing change of address by mail. If they go back to in person for renewals, I will switch to Grant County, as it is a lot closer to Kootenai County. If you want to carry in other states you cannot beat an enhanced Idaho resident permit.

I've been treated well in Columbia County but that would be an asshaul (as opposed to a haulass) for you. CC did not require an in-person for address change, they do for renewal though, gives my better-half a break from my babbling for a day.

Get in touch with Grant County, Oregon's Sheriff, Glenn Palmer. He's very 2A friendly and if he can't help you I'm sure he can direct you to someone who can (if anyone can).
Unfortunately the SO is not currently taking non-resident CHL apps. Not sure who is with the newly implemented COVID "freeze."
By the by, Glenn lost the election, so his last day as Sheriff is January 3. Sad to see a staunch 2a Sheriff go, a good man and friend. Well deserved retirement!

By the by, Glenn lost the election, so his last day as Sheriff is January 3. Sad to see a staunch 2a Sheriff go, a good man and friend. Well deserved retirement!
That is really bad news. That means that the new sheriff over there is probably going to be of the same stripe as the Malheur County sheriff. The Oregonian and some of their hacks (Les Zaitz) and political allies have been trying to oust Palmer by any means necessary since the Malhuer occupation.

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top