JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
I have astigmatism and it sucks with various optics and sights. I've got prescription shooting glasses, but the problem is when I wear them, the lenses don't always line up with where my eye is looking when I've got my cheek weld. It's very frustrating and I have yet to find a solution. Not really a problem with pistols, a big problem with rifles. I don't do contacts, so I just need to work on trying something else until I find something that works. Until then, I kind of have to live like Han Solo - "instead of a big dark blur, I can see a big light blur" ;)

I just noticed that emoticon looks like me when I'm peering down my sights, smile on my face :p

I have astigmatism and it sucks with various optics and sights. I've got prescription shooting glasses, but the problem is when I wear them, the lenses don't always line up with where my eye is looking when I've got my cheek weld. It's very frustrating and I have yet to find a solution. Not really a problem with pistols, a big problem with rifles. I don't do contacts, so I just need to work on trying something else until I find something that works. Until then, I kind of have to live like Han Solo - "instead of a big dark blur, I can see a big light blur" ;)

I just noticed that emoticon looks like me when I'm peering down my sights, smile on my face :p
I could have written that. I actually see better with my shooting glasses on than my Rx ones.

Are your shooting glasses prescription glasses?
I am going to upgrade to a 1x4 or 1x6 scope for the AR.
When I look in the RD I see five or six dots.:eek:
No they are not. Have looked at the PPS shooting glasses but need a new Rx before I do anything.
I had Lasik done back in 2001. Nowadays they can correct an astigmatism in the process. If I had it to do all over again I'd do Lasik and deal with it then, but it wasn't an option at that time. Plus it's less expensive now.

A few things...

Most times...I say "most" times, as there seems to be an exception to every rule, but when you pay more for an optic you get better quality glass. And I do mean the actual glass. To get a clearer, brighter, sharper image optic you're going to have to pay for it...unfortunately.

So those of us with eye problems, are forced to go a little higher end to help, not hinder the problem. Also, try a reticle instead of a dot...it helps a lot.

I went from an Aimpoint M3 to a magnified optic. But when looking at many different makes and models, two things stood out...1 - The clarity and brightness of the glass and what I was seeing, 2 - On the low power setting, there was very little to no magnification at pistol distance engagement. There are the two things every one should look at when putting an optic on a rifle made for pistol distance engagements.

Most every optic manufacturer has low end models that really are entry level. For Aimpoint, its the PRO model. The glass is subpar, which in turn magnifies the sight problems people already have. The dot isn't as sharp and clear as it should be, the light gathering capability is not the best, thus adding to the frustration of sight problems. The PRO (Patrol Rifle Optic), was made for LE agencies at a price they can afford. As most things go, there's no free lunch, so corners were cut to keep the price down.

In reading the article posted, I see it missed on discussing clarity of the glass, which can also be very helpful.

I see a lot of people obtaining equipment based on price...there's a reason why the price is low. Then after a short time, they get dissatisfied with it, and off they go looking for something else. After seeing people playing musical chairs with optics, you'd be money ahead if one would have bought higher quality to begin with.

Last Edited:
No they are not. Have looked at the PPS shooting glasses but need a new Rx before I do anything.
I had Lasik done back in 2001. Nowadays they can correct an astigmatism in the process. If I had it to do all over again I'd do Lasik and deal with it then, but it wasn't an option at that time. Plus it's less expensive now.

I had cataract surgery in January and it has improved my far off vision but not the astigmatism, which they told me it wouldn't fix anyway but had to have the cataracs done.

The quality of the optic definitely plays a part with how well the dot shows up for me .
The $25 Walmart red dot is unusable for me.
The Sig Romeo5 and magnifier is a lot better.
Usable but not Crisp unless I flip up the rear sight .

The Primary Arms 1x8 I put on my other AR is a much better option for me .
The horseshoe and chevron suits me great .
I'll be swapping out the red dot on the other for a 1x6.

I'm only in the negative 4-5 realm with a slight astigmatism in one eye, I think my left. I usually wear glasses but will wear my contact lenses when shooting distance. I hate wearing my glasses and trying to connect past 100 yards. Something about looking through glasses then a scope just bothers me.

I think I prefer iron sights because of my eyesight and glasses. I've trained a lot using only iron sights and I'm pretty good with them up to about 150 yards.

I've never let my eyesight determine whether I can shoot or not, it is a burden I've lived with since I was about 5-6 years old.

I keep telling myself I'll get laser corrective surgery some day.

Yeah, that laser surgery..........it works, then after a while it doesn't. Not sure I want someone screwing around with my eyes with a laser.

I have it. Learned only after I bought an aimpoint :(

I had a cheaper little holo sight that worked well for me, but I don't trust non-sealed holos because I have gotten dust and water on the projector before.

I used to have a 1-4 with basic crosshairs, but didn't feel like it was fast enough at 1x. I just picked up a PA illuminated 5x prism, and found that with both eyes open I can almost use it like a red dot due to the brightness of the center dot. So NOW my plan is to pick up a nice 1-4 or 1-6 with an illuminated center dot, or something like the new PA variable FFP that shrinks the whole illuminated reticle down to a small donut+dot that should be very easy to pick up at 1x with speed. Still not parralax free, so not the ideal CQB optic, but good general purpose. Will probably keep it on a QD mount so I can leave the Aimpoint on the rifle for HD.

Last Edited:
FFP the reticle changes with magnification .
SFP stays the same .
I have a PA SFP 1x8 illuminated reticle and at 1x it's just fine for me for fast acquisition .

I have astigmatism too, but fortunately in my left eye and not my dominant right eye (lucky!). I still need vision correction, though, and I've found that the quality of the red dot makes a difference.
The red dot on my cost-twice-as-much Aimpoints are sharper and rounder than my Ultradots.

Upcoming Events

Lakeview Spring Gun Show
Lakeview, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR
Falcon Gun Show - Classic Gun & Knife Show
Stanwood, WA
Wes Knodel Gun & Knife Show - Albany
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

Back Top