JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Do you require corrective lenses? If so, your optometrist can offer options for corrective prescriptions that can be added to your next prescription thay will dramitacally reduce or even eliminate this issue! You can also get prescription night glasses that can correct for tbis with out having to wear glasses or contacts full time!

Do you require corrective lenses? If so, your optometrist can offer options for corrective prescriptions that can be added to your next prescription thay will dramitacally reduce or even eliminate this issue! You can also get prescription night glasses that can correct for tbis with out having to wear glasses or contacts full time!
No, I have had prescriptive lenses for 20+ years. When I go to the range I find that i can see better downrange with shooting glasses than the Rx glasses. That much is a pain. Have considered the PSS Glasses but haven't followed up on it yet.

Check out DI Optical's prism-based RDS's, they're reported to be better for astigmatism and other bad eyes. For iron sights, other optically-impaired shooters have reported Diamondhead sights working better for them, which is why they're my go-tos.

No astigmatism here, but my good eye is 20/400 nearsighted, so bad that uncorreccted I can't read the sign at one end of a handicap parking space from the other, or the words on this computer screen from a foot away.

Check out DI Optical's prism-based RDS's, they're reported to be better for astigmatism and other bad eyes. For iron sights, other optically-impaired shooters have reported Diamondhead sights working better for them, which is why they're my go-tos.

No astigmatism here, but my good eye is 20/400 nearsighted, so bad that uncorreccted I can't read the sign at one end of a handicap parking space from the other, or the words on this computer screen from a foot away.
Thanks I will check them out for sure. Do have to go get an updated Rx first tho.

I find Hackathorn style Sights work best for me. Blacked out rear and orange front. I am due for a prescription and will talk with my eye doctor.
I'd like to end up with some sort of shooting glasses + maybe my Rx to shoot with. Rx glasses are expensive enough tho. I had Lasik about 20 years ago so my eyes aren't far off but the astigmatism is a pain.

Years ago there was a penny laying on the BR counter. Used to collect coins so I picked it up to check the date. Could feel it with my nail but could not see it. Put it down and every time I walked by I'd try again. Sucks to get older sometimes (sucks sometimes, I get older all the time).

Thanks I will check them out for sure. Do have to go get an updated Rx first tho.
If I were around Vancouver or you up closer to Seattle, I'd let you borrow mine to try. I know cameras don't capture what the eye sees perfectly, but here's both mounted on Mod Briefcase (first pic with BUIS folded):
20180413_125106.jpg 20180413_125125.jpg

FSP not yet installed and still gotta zero it all, but should give a rough idea.

If I were around Vancouver or you up closer to Seattle, I'd let you borrow mine to try. I know cameras don't capture what the eye sees perfectly, but here's both mounted on Mod Briefcase (first pic with BUIS folded):
View attachment 498985 View attachment 498986

FSP not yet installed and still gotta zero it all, but should give a rough idea.
Sorry, misread where you were located. I do have some red dots but have more difficulty with standard rifle sights and reticles. All in all, just want to see more clearly.

I have a football eye.

Red dots suck. The only one that seems to be ok is the Venom by Vortex. Any that are a tube design is one big blur

I too have an astigmatism. In my left eye. And I'm crazy left eye dominant. I wear special contact lenses that are supposed to correct it. They work. Kind of. :rolleyes:

I think I had my red dot for a good year or two before I learned that astigmatism affects the way you see the dot. I just assumed that what I was seeing is the way it's supposed to be. My astigmatism is on the lower side too but it does seem to be getting worse as I age.

And I suppose it varies from person to person but I greatly prefer a smaller blurry dot to a larger blurry dot. YMMV.

I've got one. I'm really bummed I can't use an eotech or aimpoint without my glasses. I'm building my shtf rifle, and I'll either have to use magnified or irons if I want to be able to use it without glasses.

Here's an idea my optometrist and I were discussing, actually *she* came up with it... if you have an old busted pair of metal-frame glasses, take the frame for your master eye, cut the nosebridge and earpiece off and braze/weld it to a section of 1913 mounting claw, installing right behind the sight. Even if you don't have the lens updated to fresh scrip, she thinks it'd be better than nothing for seeing when Things Go Bump In The Night without stopping to grab your glasses. (I just sleep in mine and clean 'em every morning when I wake up, so for me the discussion's academic.)

I've got one. I'm really bummed I can't use an eotech or aimpoint without my glasses. I'm building my shtf rifle, and I'll either have to use magnified or irons if I want to be able to use it without glasses.
Good news!!

They make 1x prism scopes you can use that are like red dots, only the reticle is still there without batteries. Primary Arms just came out with one, Vortex has the spitfire 1x. I think Leupold has/had one?

Good news!!

They make 1x prism scopes you can use that are like red dots, only the reticle is still there without batteries. Primary Arms just came out with one, Vortex has the spitfire 1x. I think Leupold has/had one?
The problem is that I'm a snob with all things... I'm looking at Nightforce now.

Both of my eyes are affected.
I wear Bi-focals as well

I'm running a Sig Romeo5 and 4X magnifier on the little AR.

Just the RD with my Varilux lens glasses it's not to bad. A little smudgy.
My plain lens work glasses with no coatings is a blob.
The Oakley prescription sunglasses I have seem to give the best clarity for me.
If I want a nice crisp dot I can flip up the rear sight.
With the magnifier the RD is just a little fuzzy.

I just got a Primary Arms 1x8 ACSS scope for my new SR-762.
I like that a lot better.
I can easily see the Chevron and BDC at higher power and the horseshoe and chevron is pretty close to a RD on 1x that's not fuzzy.
Can't wait to get out and try it out.

I have a feeling I'll be going to a 1x4 set up on the AR 15 instead of the RD and magnifier,

Upcoming Events

Tillamook Gun & Knife Show
Tillamook, OR
"The Original" Kalispell Gun Show
Kalispell, MT
Kids Firearm Safety 2 Class
Springfield, OR
Teen Rifle 1 Class
Springfield, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top