JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
I met with the Oregon Department of Forestry for the Tillamook forest (west of Portland) on Friday to discuss our clean up efforts this year.

Unlike last year, they now have permission to build out areas in the forest that are dedicated shooting areas. Since target shooters caused a large forest fire over the summer by shooting at stumps in the Tillamook forest north of 26th, they decided it would be better to give us dedicated areas to go. Instead of shutting places down after the fire, they want to give shooters better places to go.

This year will probably just be clearing lanes and setting up berms.

The Brown camp pit is also going under use a lot this year so it will be shut down quite a bit as well. Plus there are lots of places that people go shooting that are not safe (no backdrop, shooting trees or down roads)

So they need our help. They dont know details about what a good range would entail. so they are hoping for experienced shooters to go out with them, find locations and discuss building a dedicated range (clearing lanes, berms, etc).

The long term hope is that we have a cooperative effort between the members of NWFA and the state on these shooting sites. So we direct people to where to shoot, help police them and keep them clean and they support with building services

They did say, if we had a wealthy member who wants to donate to a large project, we could get a large full scale public range built for us.

If you are interested in helping let me know. The process is you will meet with Jason at the Department of Forestry and spend 1/2 day to a full day going to see shooting sites. It is preferable if you have rifle range experience (heights and composition of berms, distances that will attract most weekend shooters, widths of lanes, etc).

thanks to @Norm0931 who has already volunteered to help get things started.

The brown and green colored areas are tillamook state forest

1.png

Last Edited:
This is one of the benefits of us, as responsible gun owners, being involved with the Forest Service. By working with them on clean ups and helping to curb trash in the woods, they know where to go for help.

This is EXCELLENT! Way to go bolus! And kudo's to NWFA volunteers!

I spoke with Jason, our contact at the department of forestry. He let me know that there is a really good push from management to get working on building ranges. They hope to have 5 ranges build as soon as possible. This is really exciting.

Norm is going to coordinate with them to assess possible locations, make sure they are safe locations and discuss the design of the shooting range.

If you are interested in going out with them to scout a potential site, let Norm know since he will have the schedule.

They did say, if we had a wealthy member who wants to donate to a large project, we could get a large full scale public range built for us.

I wish I were wealthy, I'd love to be able to donate something like this. Then again, we all kind of do, any idea if they are getting Pittman-Robertson funds for this? ( <broken link removed> )

Besides that, while I'm not sure I have the sort of expertise to contribute much, I'd love to be kept in the loop as to what's happening.

Bolus and I will post as much info as possible. One thing I can think of off the top of my head is if you have heavy equipment experience or you OWN heavy equipment and might be willing to help with construction, that would be good info. We'll need to find out how they actually want to build these things, but I feel it's good to be prepared.

I wish I were wealthy, I'd love to be able to donate something like this. Then again, we all kind of do, any idea if they are getting Pittman-Robertson funds for this? ( <broken link removed> )

Besides that, while I'm not sure I have the sort of expertise to contribute much, I'd love to be kept in the loop as to what's happening.
Good call Chris. The funds are used in Oregon as part of a grant system for range development from ODFW. Depending on how ODF wants to build and more importantly Pay for these ranges, we might be able to apply for a grant for them and that would cover 70% of the cost. That means we would only need to fund raise 30%.

THe oregon link on that page is dead. Here is one I found
http://www.dfw.state.or.us/education/hunter/range_development.asp

Grant applications due March 1st.

I passed this information on to Jason at the DOF. He has already been researching this as a way to get a large scale long term range built for us down the line. (Im starting to like this guy)

Jason will be going out with a small group next week on the 2/18th to check some locations for a potential range. He would like at least one more to join the group to get good input. If you want to join them let me know and I will get you his contact information.

Just to keep you all up to date. Jason is trying to do a couple of things here. It is more of a three part process. 1st the department t is inventorying shooting spots and determining the if the slot is suitable for safe use as is. These sites will be promoted asap and pushed for shooting use. To attempt to prevent unsafe shooting locations that have no backstop or are literally shooting at a trail or road or other shooting spot. Like 90% of brownscamp shooting spots.

Part two is improvement. IE improving the mid level spots in existence now. In other words those spots that are decent but could use a better backstop or can easily be made to accommodate more shooters. This us the now to a year to two year plan. These locations would be added to the list of promoted sites. Promoting shooters to go to these sites instead of the lesser safe sites.

Part three is big. In other words. Planning timber sales or land acquisitions to arrange for a large area where shooting can take place and accommodate larger quantities of shooters safely and away from other areas that the DOF wants for other recreational activities. This is 1-6 year plan.

Part of this program is education. And that is where we need the most help. Spreading the word. With a large noticeable increase in active new shooters hitting the tillamook state forest the DOF wants to start promoting good shooting sites over just pulling over in the woods and shooting somewhere. The secret spots are a thing of the past. Its promote these spots or the inevitable. Trust me when I say this is the hard path guys. The DOF knows the easy route and it involves something muchbworse for shooters thatvenjoy using the forest land for recreational shooting.

If you want more info on this or want to help PM me.

Thanks Reno911

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads