JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Also. Norm, Jason is thinking it woyukd be good that you, myself and Jason get back out to go over a few things. I opened his eyes to a few things, but your background can totally assist the program.

I met with the Oregon Department of Forestry for the Tillamook forest (west of Portland) on Friday to discuss our clean up efforts this year.

Unlike last year, they now have permission to build out areas in the forest that are dedicated shooting areas. Since target shooters caused a large forest fire over the summer by shooting at stumps in the Tillamook forest north of 26th, they decided it would be better to give us dedicated areas to go. Instead of shutting places down after the fire, they want to give shooters better places to go.

This year will probably just be clearing lanes and setting up berms.

The Brown camp pit is also going under use a lot this year so it will be shut down quite a bit as well. Plus there are lots of places that people go shooting that are not safe (no backdrop, shooting trees or down roads)

So they need our help. They dont know details about what a good range would entail. so they are hoping for experienced shooters to go out with them, find locations and discuss building a dedicated range (clearing lanes, berms, etc).

The long term hope is that we have a cooperative effort between the members of NWFA and the state on these shooting sites. So we direct people to where to shoot, help police them and keep them clean and they support with building services

They did say, if we had a wealthy member who wants to donate to a large project, we could get a large full scale public range built for us.

If you are interested in helping let me know. The process is you will meet with Jason at the Department of Forestry and spend 1/2 day to a full day going to see shooting sites. It is preferable if you have rifle range experience (heights and composition of berms, distances that will attract most weekend shooters, widths of lanes, etc).

thanks to @Norm0931 who has already volunteered to help get things started.

The brown and green colored areas are tillamook state forest

View attachment 275543
Guys, I've already contacted Jason. Just so that he is not overwhelmed with 100 emails and phone calls could you send me a PM if you want to help and what experience you have with ranges. Thanks.
Also. Norm, Jason is thinking it woyukd be good that you, myself and Jason get back out to go over a few things. I opened his eyes to a few things, but your background can totally assist the program.

They did say, if we had a wealthy member who wants to donate to a large project, we could get a large full scale public range built for us.
View attachment 275543

@bolus, remember Pittman-Robertson funds are always available for this. You just need to fill out an application. The land owner (ODF) would need to be a co-applicant or enclose a letter endorsing you as an applicant or permittee.

Funds are available through the Oregon Department of Fish and Wildlife for the construction, development and improvement of non-profit shooting ranges and associated facilities. The grant funding program is managed by the Information and Education Division's Education Services Section in conjunction with the Shooting Range Development Advisory Committee.

http://www.dfw.state.or.us/education/hunter/range_development.asp

Update: aha kept reading, looks like you already found this.

Hopefully headed out next Thursday. They want to try to have 5 sites before July. I don't think this has been specifically addressed in the thread yet. This is not ODF as a whole. This is ONLY the Forest Grove office that manages the Tillamook State Forest. However, they are hopeful that if the program goes well and doesn't meet resistance (so far no one in Salem has given push back) that it could go state wide and maybe National. Apparently, there are good people at BLM that think this sort of thing could do well on a national level to encourage responsible land management and shooting safety.

It's awesome that you guys are working with land managers on this sort of thing... I am currently an East Portland resident, but I'm working full-time in Clatsop county and will likely be relocating there in the summer. So, I'd be interested in providing any help I can if there are any potential sites in Clatsop county or nearby. I don't really have any experience in range management or planning, but I can help with labor, cleanup, etc.

Quick update. DOF has been basically building a list of shooting sites across all of Tillamook State Forest. More or less the task force is limited to about 5 people within the agency. So this is a rather slow but steady process. They are about 70% complete with the project and hoping to complete the inventory of shooting areas within the next month or so.

The short term goal is to locate and establish at least 10-20 or maybe more green areas pertaining to the list of over 500 spots within the forest that we can start promoting by this summer. The DOF has the means and the backing to get some sort of pamphlet or brochure out to gun dealers and such to hand out by that time. As well as that being the goal by this summer.

What the DOF is noticing and want to eliminate is the "oh well that site is full" shooters. In other words, those that head to the Brown's Camp pit, find it full and then find the next turn out as they are going to shoot that day, and start shooting at a not safe location.

By listing a handful of locations that are safe and away from hiking trails and OHV trails, those that will shoot safely if given the option will. This information does not exist and if it did would likely eliminate the problems from the start.

Secondly, within the year or two, the DOF would like to look at making some modifications and working with us and through word of mouth get more assistance to make land changes to existing sites to improve them. In other words, finding ways to take a location like Wolf Creek, build better backstops, and possibly turn a one lane location int a three lane location, to better accommodate a larger amount of shooters.

Almost there, hoping that this will establish a better thing for Gun Owners and new shooters so as to better the image and education in regards to safety and garbage in state forests.

Part of this process is all of us being good stewards of the forest and giving GENTLE tips and warnings to people we see out there doing dumb things. There is not even remotely close to enough Forestry or Sheriff's Deputies to cover the forests. So if you are out there and see someone doing something dumb, if you feel safe about it, don't be a jerk, but try to educate them on how they could have fun with their activity safer. If you feel like they are trouble, violent, or they blow you off and are being blatantly unsafe, contact the Tillamook County Sheriff's office or the Department of Forestry in Forest Grove.

The guys at the Department of Forestry are in the final design stages for starting work on the public ranges. They have some design drawings made based on the locations scouted.

It would help the project if anyone is able to volunteer some heavy equipment work. This department does not have access to the all the state resources and I believe they only have an excavator to start the work on the ranges. If you have access to some heavy equipment that would be able to pull up stumps, build berms, level ground and would like to volunteer with us to build these ranges let me or the other guys here know. If you know anyone that might be able to help please reach out to them.

We should definitely plan a NWFA grand opening when the first range gets built.

I purchased some NRA range sourcebook CDs if anyone needs them. Everything you need to know A-Z about setting up a public or private shooting range.

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top