JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
As I stated in my OP: My position in no way questions your right to OC. I absolutely agree you have that right, and fully defend it.
Yes, I saw that, but in SHANE (movie) and GUNSMOKE (TV show) no one cared. That was my point. The women in the movie/TV show weren't wetting their panties because someone had a gun! Heck, they even walked into a bar and had a drink with their guns on! No one got their panties in a bunch! WOW! If MORE people were using their GOD-GIVEN RIGHTS then people would quit getting so upset about it, because it would be normal.

It seemed to work well for the homosexuals. I was watching a movie set in the 1950s (in a now communist country) and the L.A. politico goes "If people find out I'm a homosexual, my career will be ruined!" I laughed until I nearly passed out! Now? Tweaking is being taught in library special classes, in schools, in the streets, pretty much everywhere, and the soccer moms don't seem to care. Why? They have been conditioned to ignore it or see it as "normal". So why not the same with guns? If EVERYONE open carried/conceal carried and EVERYONE was conditioned to see it as normal, then this thread would be mote. That was my point,

Things are a little different in my neck of woods than the Portland area. A trip to Walmart generally results in sighting at least 3 or 4 open carriers and often more. I probably pay more attention to them than most. I agree that it paints a target on you, but it is certainly fairly common around here. 99% of the time I conceal carry, but if I'm on my way to the woods for plinking, I tend to open carry. Usually that doesn't mean anything, but sometimes it means being at the gas station or picking up water/jerky/etc while open carrying. If anything, open carrying heightens my alert level as I'm super paranoid someone is going to try and screw with me. It's also insanely awkward trying to figure out how to position your arms and maneuver as I'm just not used to it and I open carry at 3 o'clock. It does show you what a different perspective and situation feels like though and helps you see how things like doors, seatbelts, and clothing interact with a sidearm. Do I think the time will come where we are all open carrying? Doubtful. Do I want to be aware of what it is like and have it available as an option if I ever need it? Yes. Should it be restricted in any way, shape, or form? Not one tiny little bit.

TLDR: I prefer concealed but sometimes it is useful to understand what it is like to open carry. There should be no restrictions on open or concealed carry.

Yes, I saw that, but in SHANE (movie) and GUNSMOKE (TV show) no one cared. That was my point. The women in the movie/TV show weren't wetting their panties because someone had a gun! Heck, they even walked into a bar and had a drink with their guns on! No one got their panties in a bunch! WOW! If MORE people were using their GOD-GIVEN RIGHTS then people would quit getting so upset about it, because it would be normal.

It seemed to work well for the homosexuals. I was watching a movie set in the 1950s (in a now communist country) and the L.A. politico goes "If people find out I'm a homosexual, my career will be ruined!" I laughed until I nearly passed out! Now? Tweaking is being taught in library special classes, in schools, in the streets, pretty much everywhere, and the soccer moms don't seem to care. Why? They have been conditioned to ignore it or see it as "normal". So why not the same with guns? If EVERYONE open carried/conceal carried and EVERYONE was conditioned to see it as normal, then this thread would be mote. That was my point,
A fair point. However, times change, tastes change, culture changes -- acknowledged not always for the better. But I suspect more guns on the hips of guys like you and me, or slung at low ready, is not going to change the soccer moms' views... but will rather strengthen their resolve.

Things are a little different in my neck of woods than the Portland area. A trip to Walmart generally results in sighting at least 3 or 4 open carriers and often more. I probably pay more attention to them than most. I agree that it paints a target on you, but it is certainly fairly common around here. 99% of the time I conceal carry, but if I'm on my way to the woods for plinking, I tend to open carry. Usually that doesn't mean anything, but sometimes it means being at the gas station or picking up water/jerky/etc while open carrying. If anything, open carrying heightens my alert level as I'm super paranoid someone is going to try and screw with me. It's also insanely awkward trying to figure out how to position your arms and maneuver as I'm just not used to it and I open carry at 3 o'clock. It does show you what a different perspective and situation feels like though and helps you see how things like doors, seatbelts, and clothing interact with a sidearm. Do I think the time will come where we are all open carrying? Doubtful. Do I want to be aware of what it is like and have it available as an option if I ever need it? Yes. Should it be restricted in any way, shape, or form? Not one tiny little bit.

TLDR: I prefer concealed but sometimes it is useful to understand what it is like to open carry. There should be no restrictions on open or concealed carry.
Understood. As I mentioned, I used to OC (in AZ where it's more common). Just for me personally it got to a point where I did feel like a target. I like to think I have good SA, and didn't spend a lot of time in places where a confrontation was likely, but I began to realize the sidearm was definitely bringing unnecessary attention. Interestingly, I'd always make it a point of making eye contact with a nod and a smile to any passing LEOs on foot. Without fail, every time, I watched their eyes dart down to my belt, recognize my piece, and then smile and nod back at me. Whereas certain soccer moms and the occasional hippie-type would go out of their way to give me a dirty look. That said, I was never directly confronted while OC. Eventually I realized I was giving up my tactical advantage and went strictly to CC. Looking back at it now -- and speaking only for myself -- I recognized my OC was a statement more than anything: Yes, it's a gun, and I have a right to carry it. So do you. I ultimately realized this statement was hurting our cause more than helping it. That said, you'll def find me OC out in the woods or on the BLM tract...

Having travelled all over the US thanks to the military, you get to understand that cultures everywhere are different. What may be cool and accepted for a town of 50 in the South isn't usually excepted in a city of 500,000+. That being said, I think it's down to preference. I prefer to concealed carry because I don't like attention. I prefer to blend. I don't own firearms shirts, no tacticool patches or hats, truck stays vanilla. You wouldn't know I'm a firearms owner until I pulled. Isn't the idea of concealed carry to deter crime of opportunity happening?

Can't believe this horse still has a heartbeat.

It in there somewhere...
s-and-intestines-left-from-illegal-poachers-D7YX27.jpg

Can you really compare modern, woke AmeriKa with the Western Frontier? Where most men went strapped and had a Winchester in the scabbard on their horse?

Different world, different time, different morals, different values and most of all Respect... Something our society is greatly lacking these days.

I respect your right to choose to OC, it's your God given, or higher deities given right to protect yourself. No argument. Some choose to OC, other chose to CC and still others don't carry at all. Everyone makes the choice that fits them, their convictions and they're lifestyle.

The Western Frontier in some ways was safer than being in some modern day cities.

I'm not going to be strap on an AR at the yuppie city stores like Albertsons, Safeway or Freddie's. On occasion locally (rural communities) I will open carry my 357 in a low slung leather holster if I choose to because there's no way for me to conceal it and I will not leave it in the truck.

Upcoming Events

Lakeview Spring Gun Show
Lakeview, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR
Falcon Gun Show - Classic Gun & Knife Show
Stanwood, WA
Wes Knodel Gun & Knife Show - Albany
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top