JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
I've got to concur with the majority here! You come on this forum and your first posts are what I would call relatively combative when good information was shared! Your feelings are understandable but, I think a little research and getting familiar with this sight will reveal that a very huge majority here, share much the same feelings.

One thing I learned from a good amount of service time, is that "Look, Listen and Learn" can go a long way in how people will respond to you when you do speak.:s0155:

Considering the recent case of Young VS Hawaii I don't know if Portland Oregons city ordinance requiring that open carriers to keep their weapons unloaded still stands.
if you wish to open carry a loaded firearm in Multnomah county, I'd suggest getting your CHL if you haven't.
I saw nothing other than well intended information being shared. :)
Ignore the whole debate on open carry vs. concealed.
The OP question cites local ordinances, and as most legal questions here are handled, I'd suggest you take it up with an attorney. We do not interpret the law, we, as a group, follow it. I appreciate @solv3nt 's response for it's matter-of-fact tone, and I did not see anything hostile.
The question also makes me wonder, do you have your CHL? I've taken two CHL classes here in Oregon, and the wisdom offered in both is, "don't open carry in Portland." Portland police have enough trouble with crime and certainly don't need a rash of calls, "there's a man with a gun." That is, unless you wish to have police come question you, or are cynical - as your user name Captain Neckbeard might indicate.
Also, just because the 9th Circuit overturns a law or ordinance, you need to have deep pockets to be on the bleeding edge of challenging the enforcement of that law.

I have a Non-Resident CHL for Oregon and CC whenever I have to go into the jungle known as Portland. Oc'ing in any Larger Anti-gunner city is asking for trouble IMO.

if you have a CHL you can open carry, loaded, in public no matter what the municipality's ordinance is.

see ORS 166.173

BTW, you are a brave soul if you open carry in portland. In my personal opinion its one of those "well you can, but SHOULD you?" scenarios. thats why concealed carry is concealed. no one has to know.

if you hold an oregon CHL then you should memorize atleast these 3 ORS

You may want to take that to the county level, because, as I recall, it's a Multnomah county law, not just city of Portland.
I'm pretty sure the ordinance is only enacted inside city limits. There are several areas of Multnomah county that aren't in Portland city limits and several areas of Portland that aren't Multnomah county. I live on the very Southeast end of Multnomah county but I'm in Gresham about 12 minutes from the boundary of Portland. My concealed carry permit is issued by Multnomah county. I'd find it strange to be issued a permit for concealed carry by a county if I couldn't in fact concealed carry anywhere within that county. I see you're out here with me on the east end of the county. Please update me if you know different.

I'm pretty sure the ordinance is only enacted inside city limits. There are several areas of Multnomah county that aren't in Portland city limits and several areas of Portland that aren't Multnomah county. I live on the very Southeast end of Multnomah county but I'm in Gresham about 12 minutes from the boundary of Portland. My concealed carry permit is issued by Multnomah county. I'd find it strange to be issued a permit for concealed carry by a county if I couldn't in fact concealed carry anywhere within that county.
State issued Permit allows for loaded open carry in the county. Lack of permit makes loaded open carry in the county a crime.

State issued Permit allows for loaded open carry in the county. Lack of permit makes loaded open carry in the county a crime.
Interesting. I did not know that. It doesn't pertain to me since I do have my CHL but I could imagine this is a law many have found themselves in violation of. A lot of people (open) carry inside their vehicles outside of Portland but within Multnomah County. Another Oregon absurdity.

Ayoob always said "don't go where you're not wanted" and while many insist on "rights" open carry in general and urban areas like Portland in particular is asking for a blindside assault at worse or lengthy chats with local L.E. Don't be silly and draw attention. It scares the horses and brings bad press.

Interesting. I did not know that. It doesn't pertain to me since I do have my CHL but I could imagine this is a law many have found themselves in violation of. A lot of people (open) carry inside their vehicles outside of Portland but within Multnomah County. Another Oregon absurdity.
That depends, ORS still maintains state preemption, which allows local justifications to place restrictions on those that don't meet the exceptions, for the majority, that's the people without an iron CHL. The CHL is issued by the county, but it is a state document of that makes sense

see ORS 166.173

That depends, ORS still maintains state preemption, which allows local justifications to place restrictions on those that don't meet the exceptions, for the majority, that's the people without an iron CHL. The CHL is issued by the county, but it is a state document of that makes sense
which is funny because i got ID'd to buy ammo years ago and they wouldnt accept my CHL as proper ID. they said it had to be a government issued ID. i said yes, a CHL is a government issued ID.....they wouldnt accept it so i didnt buy ammo there.

which is funny because i got ID'd to buy ammo years ago and they wouldnt accept my CHL as proper ID. they said it had to be a government issued ID. i said yes, a CHL is a government issued ID.....they wouldnt accept it so i didnt buy ammo there.
You had to present id to purchase ammo? Which is interesting, I work on military bases, and the feds recognize state CHL as a valid id.

further reading is necessary

C. The following are exceptions and constitute affirmative defenses to a violation of this Section:

1. A police officer or other duly appointed peace officers, whether active or honorably retired.

2. A member of the military in the performance of official duty.

3. A person licensed to carry a concealed handgun.

4. A person authorized to possess a loaded firearm while in or on a public building under ORS 166.370.

5. A government employee authorized or required by his or her employment or office to carry firearms.

6. A person summoned by a police officer to assist in making arrests or preserving the peace, while such person is actually engaged in assisting the officer.

7. A merchant who possesses or is engaged in lawfully transporting unloaded firearms as merchandise.

8. Organizations which are by law authorized to purchase or receive weapons from the United States or from this state.

9. Duly authorized military or civil organizations while parading, or their members when going to and from the places of meeting of their organization.

10. A corrections officer while transporting or accompanying an individual convicted of or arrested for an offense and confined in a place of incarceration or detention while outside the confines of the place of incarceration or detention.

11. Persons travelling to and from an established target range, whether public or private, for the purpose of practicing shooting targets at the target ranges.

12. Licensed hunters or fishermen while engaged in hunting or fishing, or while going to or returning from a hunting or fishing expedition.

13. A person authorized by permit of the Chief of Police to possess a loaded firearm, clip, or magazine in a public place in the City of Portland.

14. A security guard employed at a financial institution insured by the Federal Deposit Insurance Corporation while the security guard is on duty.

The deep analysis in the link the OP provided indicates that particular case is set for an en banc review. Unless that has already happened (haven't checked it myself), it has not been decided yet, and no precedent has been made. I don't really agree with the analysis, and would say it is just as biased as its claim about the 9th, but my opinion doesn't change laws.

"Keep" should be (in my opinion) defined as within the home and hearth, while "bear" should mean upon one's person. In public or in private should be irrelevant as it is omitted. The ability to both own arms and be armed at any time was the intent for me, but whether open or concealed bearing of arms is out of scope (also omitted), as long as at least one method is available.

Wasn't that the cornerstone of "constitutional carry"? I don't know since WA has been an open carry state for I don't know how long, and shall issue for a concealed option since 1967. We have essentially already had a way to carry without license or restriction, although that has come under rigorous attack of late.

How do they ever KNOW whether or not you're in route to or from a range? I mean if you're anywhere in between the two, what is their proof requirement?

if you have a CHL you can open carry, loaded, in public no matter what the municipality's ordinance is.

see ORS 166.173

BTW, you are a brave soul if you open carry in portland. In my personal opinion its one of those "well you can, but SHOULD you?" scenarios. thats why concealed carry is concealed. no one has to know.

if you hold an oregon CHL then you should memorize atleast these 3 ORS

I have a theory that if you dressed up in full grand ol opry type cowboy gear and open carried two old peacemakers it would be just "Portland weird" enough that no one would be freaked out. I have only seen one person open carrying in portland in 4 years.

I have a theory that if you dressed up in full grand ol opry type cowboy gear and open carried two old peacemakers it would be just "Portland weird" enough that no one would be freaked out. I have only seen one person open carrying in portland in 4 years.
I hear about it on police scanners regularly. The police seem to usually just ask for the reporting persons number and call to tell them to stop calling in unless the person is brandishing.

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top