JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
They couldn't leave us alone....

Obama Official Issues Ammunition Ban for Federal Lands on Last Day in Office

U.S. Fish and Wildlife Service Director Dan Ashe, an Obama appointee, ordered a new ammunition ban for certain federal lands on Thursday–his last full day in office.

The ban, which took effect immediately, eliminates the use of lead-based ammunition on federal lands like national parks and wildlife refuges, as well as any other land administered by the Fish and Wildlife Service. The ban is expected to have a major impact on much of the hunting that takes place on federal lands across the United States as lead-based ammunition is widely legal and used throughout the country.

These POS's are always trying to find a way to screw hunters as much as possible, but lets hope this gets overturned immediately.

Ray

That should be rolled back in short order. In any event, the Director of F&WS has no jurisdiction over hunting on other federal lands, be it Forest Service, Bureau of Land Management, etc. To my knowledge, public hunting isn't allowed in National Parks.

So the option would be full brass for big game?

I wouldn't think the 1-3 shots at big game in a year would make a difference of any kind...

Bird hunting I can understand steel shot requirements.

I worked at the shipyards on Swan Island and terminal 4 at a pipe company in the late 80s through the 90s and the pollution going into the Wallamete was amazing. Paints, oils, concrete, solvents. And the shat we breathed paint fumes, galvanized metals, pipes wrapped and fire blankets made from asbestos. Most all the guys I worked with including me have health issues. But the big concerns are for lead and animals. Big business and big brother wins again.

So the option would be full brass for big game?

I wouldn't think the 1-3 shots at big game in a year would make a difference of any kind...

Bird hunting I can understand steel shot requirements.
I can understand "non-toxic" shot in marshlands where a lot of waterfowling is done and a lot of shots are fired in shallow water, if it has been "proven scientifically" that waterfowl do in fact ingest lead shot and it does in fact kill them. Scientifically, not obamailly. I have watched a lotta birds feed on dry land, pheasants quail sparrows etc. I even feed them in hard winters like this one. They are very picky about what they swallow. Here's the deal, if you hand a warden a hand full of sheels in a non toxic zone and you have forgotten to completely go through every shell in your hunting gear,and they test and discover a lead shot round, you are going to receive a "mandatory" 1thousand dollar fine and "mandatory" automatic loss of small game license privaleges for two years. To me, and me alone, this is a very cleverly crafted way to make criminals out of even the most sportsman like of all us sportsman to stop us from hunting. I can't afford nor do I want the stigma, computers remember everything. Also, if they get their foot in the door on this, then yes, it will be your rifles and handguns next. My opinion only. Jim.:eek:

Posted this in another thread on this topic->
No_Regerts said:
Lead bullet bans exist in other places, namely commiefornia. I guarantee more lead splitshot and sinkers end up in the environment than 50 years worth of bullets fired at big game.
You're probably right about the fishing lures being a bigger source of lead. The primary problem with lead bullets is that things killed by them(outside of harvested big game) get eaten by other critters. Lead accumulates to toxic levels in scavengers and primary predators. The die off of big predators/scavengers like the California Condor have directly been tied to lead poisoning.

I grew up spending lots of time in the woods in Idaho. I have great memories of experiencing wildlife first hand. I personally want my grandkids and subsequent generations get to have the same experience with wildlife growing up and as an adult. Using different ammo is a small way I can help ensure the health and viability of our wildlife and wildland systems. I am happy to do it.

No lead ... Is no good for me and my original muzzleloaders.
Not really sure that critters are getting much if any lead after eating whats left of the deer , grouse etc ... I kill with my original or traditional muzzleloaders.
Andy

Ran into a friend today hunting waterfowl on the columbia river. He fired one shot, killed one duck. Dogs insinctfully fetched it. His dogs then went back in and fetched 5 more wounded mallards that had been shot by others. Not getting the "ethical" part of this .

I'm done with hunting in Washington after a few years ago they cut our hunting days from 7 days to just 3!!! They said it was to extend the season, but for who?
I'll pay extra to hunt in Alaska than spend another dime huntin here!!!:mad::mad::mad::mad::mad::mad::mad::mad:

And that doesn't mean I'll not raise HEII about the lefts hatred of our guns!!!

I hear ya. Ya outta try springer fishing in eastern wa. "We with the federal fisheries managers have determined that you who have a job and pay taxes that contribute to our salaries get to only fish for spring salmon on sunday afternoons only and in the areas that we have decided for you.

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top