JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
Hello All, I am relatively new to Bend OR. I am looking to get out and do some quail, chukar and rabbit hunting this winter. I am a responsible hunter and respectful of your property any rules you may set. I am an experience hunter though it has been a few years, and chukar is a new species for me. I grew up hunting in NY and PA. I am also looking for land to hunt deer and Elk on next year. I would be open to a hunting lease option or joining a shared lease if anyone has openings.
I am a disabled veteran though you might not know it looking at me. I have an older dog that use to be my rabbit hunting buddy, but now he would mostly be joining me for the walk. Though he may flush a bird or rabbit occasionally he is getting a little too old to ask to do it reliably. May have a new English Pointer pup to train up before too long.
If anyone has some land with good bird and/or rabbit hunting they would allow me to hunt for free or a modest fee please let me know. And again if anyone has word on a decent hunting lease for deer and/or Elk please shoot me a message. I am also a pretty handy individual, could trade some work for access if that is more interesting to you.
Lastly, also would love to hear suggestions on public access within a couple hours of Bend if you know of good places with not too many people.

Thank You.

Something you need to know; folks in Oregon are a bit . . . different. In order to get permission to hunt on someone's land, you'll have to get to know them. And, more importantly, they will have to get to know you. In Oregon, that can take quite a bit of time. Oregonians, especially rural Oregonians, are somewhat suspecious of 'new' people, so until they get to know you, you shouldn't expect a lot of progress. For now, stick with public lands (BLM / National Forest / National Grasslands.

around here we call it the woods, in bend you are surrounded by them. everything you might want from alpine to desert all within an hour's drive. enjoy

Thank you all for the advice. I tried hunting public lands while in Portland and it was just too hard to find space to myself. I will start looking more around Bend. I have OnX but don't really understand how to use it just yet, it's not exactly clear the couple times that I have used it what land is public access and allows hunting. Of the public lands near Bend, can anyone point me to a decent general spot to try my hand at chukar? Also is there any good grouse hunting around here, just curious if it is a thing around here. I know some spots up in the Santiam unit for grouse but was curious what the prospects are like over here? I don't want handouts, I just don't want to be picking spots at random and hoping for the best that could be a very long process of elimination considering the plethora of options around here.....so really just suggestions of general areas will save me a lot of time.
Thank you @nehalemguy for suggesting Crooked River Grasslands, I will start there....

Thank you all for the advice. I tried hunting public lands while in Portland and it was just too hard to find space to myself. I will start looking more around Bend. I have OnX but don't really understand how to use it just yet, it's not exactly clear the couple times that I have used it what land is public access and allows hunting. Of the public lands near Bend, can anyone point me to a decent general spot to try my hand at chukar? Also is there any good grouse hunting around here, just curious if it is a thing around here. I know some spots up in the Santiam unit for grouse but was curious what the prospects are like over here? I don't want handouts, I just don't want to be picking spots at random and hoping for the best that could be a very long process of elimination considering the plethora of options around here.....so really just suggestions of general areas will save me a lot of time.
Thank you @nehalemguy for suggesting Crooked River Grasslands, I will start there....
All of that green around Bend and to the north is national forest, and it is open to hunting generally, unless there are specific closures.

Screen Shot 2022-11-19 at 12.42.59 PM.png

I have OnX but don't really understand how to use it just yet, it's not exactly clear the couple times that I have used it what land is public access and allows hunting.
OnX has a map layer specifically to show public land boundaries. Just turn on that layer.
ODFW has a web map that you can filter by species, including chukar...

@Koda I really appreciate the pointers. The ODFW map makes it seem like there aren't any chukar in the region, and I was under the impression otherwise...but it is a helpful tool nonetheless

@Koda I really appreciate the pointers. The ODFW map makes it seem like there aren't any chukar in the region, and I was under the impression otherwise...but it is a helpful tool nonetheless
Ive never hunted Chukar but my only impression of them is they are mostly a much farther eastern Oregon bird like around La Grande or farther. But Ive always wanted to check out the Crooked River grasslands for rabbit but thats always been a long drive for a small game for me....

Hello All, I am relatively new to Bend OR. I am looking to get out and do some quail, chukar and rabbit hunting this winter. I am a responsible hunter and respectful of your property any rules you may set. I am an experience hunter though it has been a few years, and chukar is a new species for me. I grew up hunting in NY and PA. I am also looking for land to hunt deer and Elk on next year. I would be open to a hunting lease option or joining a shared lease if anyone has openings.
I am a disabled veteran though you might not know it looking at me. I have an older dog that use to be my rabbit hunting buddy, but now he would mostly be joining me for the walk. Though he may flush a bird or rabbit occasionally he is getting a little too old to ask to do it reliably. May have a new English Pointer pup to train up before too long.
If anyone has some land with good bird and/or rabbit hunting they would allow me to hunt for free or a modest fee please let me know. And again if anyone has word on a decent hunting lease for deer and/or Elk please shoot me a message. I am also a pretty handy individual, could trade some work for access if that is more interesting to you.
Lastly, also would love to hear suggestions on public access within a couple hours of Bend if you know of good places with not too many people.

Thank You.
I am not able to help you with location. But I can say, you will find that Chukar hunting, is a meaningful learning experience. (For the pooch, also)
Best,
Gary

Ive never hunted Chukar but my only impression of them is they are mostly a much farther eastern Oregon bird like around La Grande or farther. But Ive always wanted to check out the Crooked River grasslands for rabbit but thats always been a long drive for a small game for me....
Chukar are also found much farther west in the Deschutes, Crooked, and John Day canyons.

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top