JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Not a bird hunter, except turkey, but down to chase dogs, lion and bear whenever.
I solo most of the time.
I really appreciate the offer! However I tend not to hunt predators, I guess you could say I feel a certain kinship with them. No judgement, to each their own, it's just not for me unless I was in a starvation situation.

Not a lot of Chukar around the Bend area. You will probably need to head east a bit- toward rimrock country to find decent chukar country. The John Day area and breaks of the Deschutes river near its mouth and the breaks of the John Day river are good choices. Lots of other good areas further east but it will take time to find them. Chukar numbers aren't what they once were...

As far as rabbits, etc... there is a lot of land around Redmond, Madras, etc.. area that is the National Grasslands you can hunt on . It get's hunted pretty hard already so you may need to find an area that isn't as accessible as some and spend some time learning the country. Lots of good country east that is as good or better in the Ochoco area east of Prineville, and the highway to Burns that sports lots of rabbits, but it's a bit of a drive from Bend.

Best advice I can give you is to get out and drive a bit and take notes where you are seeing targets of opportunity. It may take a few tanks of gas to find a good spot to get out and walk a bit..

Not a lot of Chukar around the Bend area. You will probably need to head east a bit- toward rimrock country to find decent chukar country. The John Day area and breaks of the Deschutes river near its mouth and the breaks of the John Day river are good choices. Lots of other good areas further east but it will take time to find them. Chukar numbers aren't what they once were...

As far as rabbits, etc... there is a lot of land around Redmond, Madras, etc.. area that is the National Grasslands you can hunt on . It get's hunted pretty hard already so you may need to find an area that isn't as accessible as some and spend some time learning the country. Lots of good country east that is as good or better in the Ochoco area east of Prineville, and the highway to Burns that sports lots of rabbits, but it's a bit of a drive from Bend.

Best advice I can give you is to get out and drive a bit and take notes where you are seeing targets of opportunity. It may take a few tanks of gas to find a good spot to get out and walk a bit..
This is all really good information. Thank you so much for taking the time to point me in the right direction. Bummer about the declining chukar numbers though. My work is going to be taking me South and East to Lake Abert regularly, so I am hoping to poke around the rimrock out there too. I am not deterred by needing to travel to get to good hunting territory , I am just trying to find enough info to lessen the chance of a long drive and nothing to show for it. So thank you again for sharing this info.

This is all really good information. Thank you so much for taking the time to point me in the right direction. Bummer about the declining chukar numbers though. My work is going to be taking me South and East to Lake Abert regularly, so I am hoping to poke around the rimrock out there too. I am not deterred by needing to travel to get to good hunting territory , I am just trying to find enough info to lessen the chance of a long drive and nothing to show for it. So thank you again for sharing this info.
Lots of rabbits out there in the sage country, hunt with the Sun in your face and look for the color Red. 9 times out of 10 that's the blood in the Rabbits ears that you see.

Yep Jack Rabbits. I was told to wear protective gloves when opening them up and if the Liver has spots on it they are no good. I also was told that you can only eat them in Months that have "R's" in them. I've not eaten wild rabbit, only store bought ones.

Yep Jack Rabbits. I was told to wear protective gloves when opening them up and if the Liver has spots on it they are no good. I also was told that you can only eat them in Months that have "R's" in them. I've not eaten wild rabbit, only store bought ones.
I've eaten many o wild rabbits. They can be very good. That said, I was warned when I was a young boy chasing critters that when there is not choice you can eat a jack. But eating dirt might be a better option.

Last Edited:
I would never eat a jack rabbit. Most of the ones I've shot have been infested with fleas, look like they have mange, and are reputed to carry lots of other diseases like plague, etc....

However, cottontails are extremely edible . We used to cook them directly over a campfire and they are great that way...

I would never eat a jack rabbit. Most of the ones I've shot have been infested with fleas, look like they have mange, and are reputed to carry lots of other diseases like plague, etc....

However, cottontails are extremely edible . We used to cook them directly over a campfire and they are great that way...
Yes I have eaten a large number of cottontails when I lived back East. I loved them. If Jack rabbit is no good to eat, I have no interest in shooting one. I hunt strictly to obtain food. I will kill a nuisance animal as well. But other than that, I try not to take life of any animal without cause.

I cant speak for teste (never hunted them) but its no different safetywise eating a jackrabbit than any other rabbit. Its either healthy or not.
Ticks and fleas can be a vector , but thats why most hunt them in the colder seasons. I dont think a flea or tick would be unheard of in winter but rare, not certain it would be a deal breaker for me unless I recovered a rabbit infested with them then id agree.
I hunt rabbits on a friends ranch and in winter ive never seen a flea or tick. Rabbits are good eating.

If Jack rabbit is no good to eat, I have no interest in shooting one.
Oh too bad! I used to 'hunt' them quite often in the past, usually out near Post, Paulina and a few places north of Redmond out near the grasslands - but never ate any.

'Jacks are a 'cyclical' animal and their numbers vary from year to year. The mid 2000's saw dramatic numbers of them and there were organized drives out near Christmas Valley at the time.

I typically only handgun hunted them so I didn't ever really score many in a day. Heck a good day was maybe 7 or so, +/-, although there were times I would see probably 50 or more throughout the day.

Last Edited:
Oh too bad! I used to 'hunt' them quite often in the past, usually out near Post, Paulina and a few places north of Redmond out near the grasslands - but never ate any.

'Jacks are a 'cyclical' animal and their numbers vary from year to year. The mid 2000's saw dramatic numbers of them and there were organized drives out near Christmas Valley at the time.

I typically only handgun hunted them so I didn't ever really score many in a day. Heck a good day was maybe 7 or so, +/-, although there were times I would see probably 50 or more throughout the day.
Same here.. years ago we would go down between Christmas Valley and Glass Butte and hunt jack rabbits when the cycle was up. Between me and my 3 brothers we would shoot a hundred or more and not even put a dent in the population.. great sport and excellent practice for big game hunting season shooting...

Same here.. years ago we would go down between Christmas Valley and Glass Butte and hunt jack rabbits when the cycle was up. Between me and my 3 brothers we would shoot a hundred or more and not even put a dent in the population.. great sport and excellent practice for big game hunting season shooting...
No judgement, just a sincere question.....I just am curious what you did with them if you weren't eating them? I do understand population control is an aspect/application of hunting, but I always thought that was mostly when the large population of a species presented a problem in one way or another? Are jack rabbits a problem in their environment for another species or human activity? Or does population control hunting just help mitigate a population crash?

Is there any good cottontail hunting to be found in Central Oregon?
It kind of a case of cottontails are 'where ya find 'em'

I've hunted them in the past in areas SE of Redmond with fair success but it's been a while. I see a few around where I live but not in any great numbers enough to consider hunting them again.

Heck we have more trouble with feral domestic rabbits in my neighborhood than anything else. The neighbors complain they eat up their gardens!

It kind of a case of cottontails are 'where ya find 'em'

I've hunted them in the past in areas SE of Redmond with fair success but it's been a while. I see a few around where I live but not in any great numbers enough to consider hunting them again.

Heck we have more trouble with feral domestic rabbits in my neighborhood than anything else. The neighbors complain they eat up their gardens!
Yeah I have a few resident cottontails in my neighborhood/yard here in Tumalo. But I don't really see them anywhere when I am out hiking/scouting. They seem to be on the smaller side here too. I have seen bigger squirrels than these cottontails in my area....maybe I should be looking at squirrel hunting more than rabbits.

Upcoming Events

Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR
Falcon Gun Show - Classic Gun & Knife Show
Stanwood, WA
Wes Knodel Gun & Knife Show - Albany
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews