JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
I know people whove hunted these tags and they are not easy at all to fill unless your the landowner himself and live on the property. The problem is the elk in these areas range is much larger than the landowners property... if the elk show up or pass thru, you have to drop everything. If you can get access to a very very very large property it might be better... good luck.

I know people whove hunted these tags and they are not easy at all to fill unless your the landowner himself and live on the property. The problem is the elk in these areas range is much larger than the landowners property... if the elk show up or pass thru, you have to drop everything. If you can get access to a very very very large property it might be better... good luck.
my thoughts exactly, that is why I never pursued on of those tags, landowners aren't nearly as friendly as they used to be. you may be able to get on someones property but be prepared to pay a hefty fee. probably cheaper to buy beef!

I think you used to be able to get these damage cow tags as an additional tag, but since now its your only elk tag you can get, it just isnt something that interests me. My uncle and his friend hunt these tags and usually get an elk or 2, but that landowner wont let anyone new hunt there. Good luck on the search

Landowners bubblegumed to ODFW about damage.

ODFW issued tags.

Landowners wont allow public access or charge hefty hunting fees.

Sounds about right for Oregon.
I don't think that's just an Oregon thing. If you worked your arse off to get that property , are then fortunate in receiving tags for animal damage… I don't think you would just let anyone on for free.

Hell most people don't respect that 53% you own now do they? Let alone private property… Would you really chance it or ask for a fee to make sure your covered?

I would suggest to the OP in putting a few post out there just as he's done. I think offering to split game, do work, pay a fee, and or barter is what will go further than complaining about land owners charging fees.

IMPO I think you will get further on other forums that pertain strictly to hunting. Best of luck and hope your wife is able to put something on the ground this year.

I don't think that's just an Oregon thing. If you worked your arse off to get that property , are then fortunate in receiving tags for animal damage… I don't think you would just let anyone on for free.
Heck no you wouldn't - and then are probably pretty dang selective with those you MIGHT let on - regardless of what the charge might be.

A LOT of people seem to have the opinion landowners have no problem letting anyone on their property to hunt - as though they are doing the landowners some sort of a 'favor' or something, but this ain't the case.

Personally I am 'on the fence' about landowners charging exorbitant fees to hunt on their property - especially if the tags are say 'destructive' based and not say, 'land owner preference' but thats another 6 pack....

Last Edited:

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

Back Top