JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
I know I would get questions on my comments and fully expected it. I have my right to voice and my opinion just as you. I have to right to own several firearms just like you. I am by no means anti gun. But I stand for intelligent gun laws and better background check if you got nothing to hide then why so worried?

No, you were talking about compromise being the option. It never has been. A bump stock today, an AWB tomorrow.

Well, I didn't kill them so I would have naught to explain for. And I am not sure what I would be doing talking to ghosts anyway.

You are the left apparently being as you are clearly anti-2a by your comments.

What rights will you give up because of someone elses crimes?

This goes right back to another person making assumptions about me. Fell free your voice, but you are incorrect. And sorry let me reword (my mistake) what I said, explain to the families of the dead. Besides the point you just made they are dead so what does it matter. It matters a lot.

This goes right back to another person making assumptions about me. Fell free your voice, but you are incorrect. And sorry let me reword (my mistake) what I said, explain to the families of the dead. Besides the point you just made they are dead so what does it matter. It matters a lot.

This thread is not about you getting butt hurt from some other thread. If you have issues with another member, take it up with them. Don't crap on this thread over something that pissed you off. Stay on topic.

No I said, I did nothing. I have nothing to explain for. I can't explain for a killer whether he uses a gun, knife, fists or poison. I did nothing. I am not culpable. You are making the assumption of the left that the means is culpable. This is blaming the gun.

It does matter. But since I have nothing to do with it, I have nothing to explain for. I refuse to share guilt for another's crimes.

But you are the face of the enemy of all gun rights at the moment, because you are proposing, well it doesn't effect me, so we give up this right and adding infringements to the US Constitutions. It will come back to you soon enough.

And payees can just be old vets who want their accountant daughter to help with the finances or other things.

I don't support psych evals for a host of reasons. One, it makes rights subjective. Two, most folks in psych are rabidly anti gun except for their pocket pistol.

"STOP"...Do not sh*t on my thread......
dogpoop-1.jpg

Our fair state is I think #46 in mental health. So Beaverton is not going to be some glamorous outlier. And yes, we do the same care regardless of income. The state keeps reducing psych beds though. We do not have enough beds. I have had someone who spent 40 someodd days in an ED because there were no beds.

I also have had coworkers who miss the good old days before cameras where they could essentially beat a patient. I have heard absolute horror stories from the staff of some of our old state hospitals. Those systems were frequently horrific. (I am referring to Oregon, which is what I know some about)

I don't have to read stories about that Zeke. I live in those stories.
If you do go and read those stories what I described is what you will hear. In a sane world none of these guys would have been released to the supervision of their untrained family members...
alg-shooter-jared-lee-loughner-jpg.jpg iu-2.jpeg iu.jpeg

Simple fact is, the truth is often a little different than the stories. I ask you one question, do you want a lower bar to have the government strip you of all rights? I don't.
There was a time when the system worked. We didn't have these kinds of crimes and despite anecdotal evidence the people who were in the system belonged there.

There was a time when the system worked. We didn't have these kinds of crimes and despite anecdotal evidence the people who were in the system belonged there.
Well we have always had crimes of this sort. There have been times poison or explosives were more in favor. We didn't have a 24 hour news cycle though.

And in times past, the mental health system was nightmarish. I don't know that the system has ever worked real well. Now I am going to say from my review of things, and talking to elderly psych patients there was a time when some sectors worked better. Some certainly didn't. I do want to know your background with mental health.

I ask because the vast majority of the mentally ill are good people. I'd say a little kinder than your average normal person honestly.

Well we have always had crimes of this sort. There have been times poison or explosives were more in favor. We didn't have a 24 hour news cycle though.

And in times past, the mental health system was nightmarish. I don't know that the system has ever worked real well. Now I am going to say from my review of things, and talking to elderly psych patients there was a time when some sectors worked better. Some certainly didn't. I do want to know your background with mental health.

I ask because the vast majority of the mentally ill are good people. I'd say a little kinder than your average normal person honestly.
I can speak to whether the system was nightmarish or not. I was a psych tech in the CA State Mental Hospital system in the 1960s while I was in college. I worked the T-1 Ward at Stockton. That's the men's admissions and intensive treatment ward. We received patients straight from the back seats of patrol cars from a dozen counties. There was an automatic 72 hour hold. A psychiatrist and the ward staff interviewed and interacted with the patient during that time. If involuntary commitment was deemed necessary a sanity hearing was held before a judge where the staff reports were considered, along with testimony from the patient, his family, and his lawyer. That system worked. The only people who didn't belong there were the ones who were using it to dodge jail time. There were no Jack Nicholson roles to be filled. The only thing nightmarish about it is the reality of the mental illness I encountered, because with a properly functioning system, on that ward, there were no "nice" people. Nice people didn't belong there. They belonged either at home or on some other ward that specialized in whatever their problem was.

We have two choices: We can either leave these guys on the streets and try to make the world into an infinitely large padded room without weapons, or we can take these guys off the streets and give them treatment.

If we have a working system why was no one able to get help for Loughner? Everybody around him knew he would go off sooner or later.

I can speak to whether the system was nightmarish or not. I was a psych tech in the CA State Mental Hospital system in the 1960s while I was in college. I worked the T-1 Ward at Stockton. That's the men's admissions and intensive treatment ward. We received patients straight from the back seats of patrol cars from a dozen counties. There was an automatic 72 hour hold. A psychiatrist and the ward staff interviewed and interacted with the patient during that time. If involuntary commitment was deemed necessary a sanity hearing was held before a judge where the staff reports were considered, along with testimony from the patient, his family, and his lawyer. That system worked. The only people who didn't belong there were the ones who were using it to dodge jail time. There were no Jack Nicholson roles to be filled. The only thing nightmarish about it is the reality of the mental illness I encountered, because with a properly functioning system, on that ward, there were no "nice" people. Nice people didn't belong there. They belonged either at home or on some other ward that specialized in whatever their problem was.
This sounds very similar to what is done now, though I guarantee you nightmarish things happened in "treatment." (Because of where knowledge of mental health treatment was at that time.) It also sounds like you have an idealized view of it. Were their people who didn't belong there? almost certainly. What about when you have someone blatantly lying about a slightly eccentric person? It happens. Schizophrenics and people with psychosis are frequently nice, kind, gentle people. I deal with them almost every day. It is only the very rare one I can't get along with. Now don't get me wrong I give forced IMs, and have tackled/pried people off of other people and done all manner of things that are rather unpleasant.

It sounds the system has changed to give a few more safeguards, but not as substantially as you seem to think. I say that as a current employee of a psych facility.

If you go to the OSH museum there are mentions of all manner of legit horrors that occurred that are acknowledged. But let me tell you what I have heard coworkers tell me that they did in those days. This is not hearsay, this is what people have told me they did 20-40 years ago. And why I thank God I work in an era we are all on camera in the psych ward.
1) Use a literal ball and chain as a punishment. (Patients have told me about this one as well.)
2) Body check people.
3) Give forced medications to people they didn't like for rudeness.
4) Beat patients for being too loud.
5) Use unnecessary violence for fun.
6) Shock therapy for punishment.

If we have a working system why was no one able to get help for Loughner? Everybody around him knew he would go off sooner or later.
I am saying that if we live in a society where freedoms are respected, we ere on the side of giving people freedom and liberty. You can't hold people based on what "everyone knows." There has to be real evidence. I let someone go by law who I knew would commit a crime by morning. But we can't prosecute people for thought crime or what people "know is bound to happen."

Upcoming Events

Falcon Gun Show - Classic Gun & Knife Show
Stanwood, WA
Lakeview Spring Gun Show
Lakeview, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top