JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions

We have received a preliminary copy of one of the most dangerous pieces of anti-gun legislation we have ever seen.

While the concept was first floated by Ginny Burdick, there may be other legislators behind it.

This bill eviscerates due process and turns Oregon into a Soviet style collection of secret snitches.

Basically if someone makes a claim that you are, in their opinion, experiencing a "mental health emergency" you lose your right to buy a firearm!

Included in the list of people who can make that accusation against you are such "mental health experts" as a college art professor, your boss, or an aunt you have not seen in 20 years!

Once the accusation has been made, it's your problem to get your rights restored!

You are not even allowed to know who made the accusation and you are not informed that your rights have been taken away unless you attempt a firearms purchase. You are not allowed to know how long the "hold" on your rights is!

The person who made the accusation is immune from any liability for making the accusation that takes away your rights.

People will be able to make fabricated accusations against you online!

We cannot stress enough how dangerous this proposed bill is.

If the past is any indication, efforts will be made to ram this bill through with as little discussion as possible.

Your rights are in the cross hairs. If this bill becomes law, you are guilty until proven innocent.

Just imagine a woman whose dangerous husband has threatened to kill her. She wants to buy a gun for protection, but a "family member" (maybe the husband?) makes an anonymous accusation, online, that she is experiencing a "mental health emergency" and now her rights are gone! Not only will she be unable to protect herself, she will have to jump through impossible hoops to "prove" she is not mentally ill!

We have run into some downright evil legislation before, but this is beyond anything we have ever seen. Have a doctor who does not like guns? Your rights are gone. Have a boss who's mad at you? Your rights are gone. Have a crazy cousin who thinks no one should have a gun? Your rights are gone.

Of course, this bill has an "emergency clause" to make sure the people of Oregon cannot stop it at the ballot box!

We will have more on this bill if it moves through the legislature, but we wanted you to know that the battle is on even before the session has started. We are going to need all the help we can get for what promises to be a very ugly 2016. Please consider any contribution you can afford to help us reach as many people as possible. Any one of us can become a victim of this kind of outrage. You can help OFF here.

Yeah, that's pretty bad since its not just a health professional that can initiate this.

As a physician, the first part is redundant since we are already required by law to report someone who is threatening to hurt themselves or others.

The part about certifying the patient is not a danger to themselves is something a doc would probably be nervous about certifying.

Not notifying the person that they have a restriction is BS. super secret you may be arrested and you dont know your are restricted

Since this does not seem to have any punishment for false reporting, I say we reporting Prozanski on day one.

Already in place would be a "police hold" or doctor and hospital based "2 MD hold" which requires a community certified mental health examiner to certify that someone is mentally ill and dangerous to themselves or others. That would authorize a mental health stay in the hospital only until the person is no longer a danger to self or others. What may happen in the community is that police take a mentally ill or suspected person into temporary custody and transport to a hospital--generally without a criminal event and the Emergency Department would place a "2 MD" hold on the person for 48 hours or until community professional certified. I think that is the way it worked in the past.

So much for her statement, no gun bills this short session.

She sure is working hard to turn Oregon into Northern California. The recently passed a similar bill.

They can't be serious. Can you imagine the lawsuits this will trigger naming the state as defendant? Oh, wait. It's our tax money that will have to defend such suits. We're screwed no matter what.

God forbid this makes it through and becomes law! I would bet it will be impossible to enforce and as such probably very few LEO would try! But you never can tell!!!! Some Anti gun with a big wad of cash and nothing better to do with it will push on it and some poor saps will get the big stick!

God forbid this makes it through and becomes law! I would bet it will be impossible to enforce and as such probably very few LEO would try! But you never can tell!!!! Some Anti gun with a big wad of cash and nothing better to do with it will push on it and some poor saps will get the big stick!
You talking about Bloomberg again?

This stinks to high heavens of Bloomberg... Lord knows he has enough flunkies in Oregon, including Prozanski and Riley...

Edited to correct auto-correction errors....

Last Edited:
All it would take is one of my disgruntled patients that dislike my medical decision (e.g., not to give a drug addict more addictive drugs), for me to lose my Constitutional right. If this bill passes it looks like rural Oregon is going to lose another healthcare provider. I'll be out of here.

SO, if every cop who writes a speeding ticket to someone who thinks they didn't deserve it gets tagged as "unstable" will we end up with a completely disarmed police force? I didn't read an exemption for LEOs.

What's really scary is that the people who work in the FICS unit aren't cops either. So, now you have a group of citizens hired by the state police to arbitrarily decide who gets to purchase firearms purely by whim. You are legally barred from know if you are allowed to purchase firearms and you have to PAY the court and convince a doctor you should be allowed to have your rights restored despite no legal proceedings to take them away. This kind of bubblegum is exactly why we rebelled against England.

I can't help but think this whole thing sounds like Hitler's "Brown Shirts". Turn in your neighbor. Turn in your co-worker. Turn in your parents.

Just imagine little Johnny in school one day, he's having a bad day, so the teacher asks what's wrong. "My daddy got really mad at me last night because I didn't clean my room". 5 minutes later, the teacher is on the phone to the popo to report a 'dangerous and violent' criminal.

This is bad news all around.

What sucks is calling in on anti-gunners does no good. They don't buy guns. This only really effects gun owners, because guns are worse than Pringles. I see this being a pre-cursor to ggun violence restraining orders though. That's an easy jump for Burdick or Prozanski.

Upcoming Events

Teen Rifle 1 Class
Springfield, OR
Kids Firearm Safety 2 Class
Springfield, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top