JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Free safety classes ... with just the focus on safety and etiquette , could prove to be a excellent way to get out the message that guns and gun owners aren't the bad guys.
Andy
I have been around fire arms since I can remember and taken the NRA hunter safety course when I was twelve. Been through small arms training in the service. The point I am trying to male is that I would be up for spending a few hours refreshing as I plan to my chl. It never hurts to refresh your knowledge.

I will agree that something needs to be done. I have been swept inside a gun store. Had to have a long talk with my SIL about gun saftey and that its not a joke. (he likes to be funny but I love him to death.)

I think free classes are a great idea. The hard part would be getting knowledgable people to teach said class.

What we need is a good school teacher that has summers off to just travel around and give these classes. Already has the teaching knowledge and the gun saftey down pat. If they get out of line the military training kicks in.

Could be a win win for everyone. :D

Having the time to teach the class , a space to do so and finding a store that is willing to sponsor or promote a class like that can be difficult as well.

That said ... I have found that most folks are receptive and appreciate a safety / etiquette talk , when I show and tell my muzzle loading firearms... So maybe there is hope yet...:D
Andy
I think free classes are a great idea. The hard part would be getting knowledgable people to teach said class.

What we need is a good school teacher that has summers off to just travel around and give these classes. Already has the teaching knowledge and the gun saftey down pat. If they get out of line the military training kicks in.

Could be a win win for everyone. :D
Funny that you mention that .... I have thought the same...:D
Andy

You can usually tell if the person is going to be receptive to a talk. If he or she is a Saturday night cowboy then they usually are not but I have found that a lot of it is how you approach the person about it as well.

If you approach them all pissed off then they don't react to well. If your calm and collected it usually goes further when talking to anyone. I know my defenses go sky high when someone approaches me all worked up. I also understand that after being swept with a loaded weapon a couple times its hard to be calm.

I can bet that Sportsmans Wayerhouse in Hillsboro would be on board.

Any gun store really, would be foolish to not want more people visiting their store...

"If you see something say something," don't just pack up and leave. If you do you are condoning bad, reckless behavior. We are too permissive in our society: bad acts need to be called out for everyone's sake. I like the example of Germany where everyone is expected to play by the rules, and you *will* be called out if you don't. Example: try J-walking on a German street and very likely some passerby will stop you and tell you to go cross at the corner like you're supposed to. In America we pretend not to notice such things and that has cumulative negative consequences for our society. Approach the muzzle sweeper in a friendly but firm manner and let him know it is not OK. You may just save the life of the next person he comes across at the range.

"If you see something say something," don't just pack up and leave. If you do you are condoning bad, reckless behavior.

I agree with your sentiment but strongly disagree that anyone is condoning anything. There is a huge personal safety risk to confront a clueless armed individual that only you can determine is approrpriate at the time.

Like I said there are certain people that I would not approach. You can just tell it would go sideways in a hurry. If I felt that bad about a situation I would pack up and leave.

No one wants any NWFA members to risk leaving behind widows and orphans, for sure. I'm an RSO at my range so I'm wired to say something if I see something. I don't go to public ranges anymore, so I won't begrudge you handling a situation at one in a different way than I might. I won't give up yelling at J-walkers though. ;)

Oh I agree it just pisses me off to no end that people think shooting a sign that is there for there saftey is funny.
I agree 100%. Last 2 times I went to Mary's Peak some college kids showed up right as I was packing to leave. Both times they unpacked glass bottles as targets, lacked ear or eye pro, and had a general lack of safety. Luckily for us we were already leaving both times.

We absolutely must get some range safety rules posted at each of the lanes...

Otherwise its a matter of time, and posted rules puts the accident on the ignorant unsafe shooter, not the people who built the lanes or the forest service who sanctioned it.

Last Edited:
We absolutely must get some range safety riles posted at each of the lanes...

Otherwise its a matter of time, and posted rules puts the accident on the ignorant unsafe shooter, not the people who built the lanes or the forest service who sanctioned it.
Exactly. Some sort of sign stating safe shooting rules so that legal liability stays where it should. On the individual.

@Cogs would it be against any rules if we had some signs made up and posted on the lanes?

I think if we put a pool together we could probably get them paid for. I know that I would be willing to chip in some cash. We may even have enough resources here on the site to get them made up. maybe @IronMonster would know someone or could make them up himself.

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top