JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
exactly, feel the same way Joe. I have the same concerns for a public land established range if there is no range officer.... unless I happen by when its totally empty I probably will drive to my own spot.

im not discouraging the idea or program, in fact I think its a good idea especially for new shooters.... there are many benifits for having an established public land shooting range.

there are hundreds of places in Tillamook forest alone where people go shoot and often leave trash and shoot trees. Giving them a designated place leaves the respectable people like you guys to have more places to go that will hopefully be safer and quieter.

For example with the Browns camp pit. If it is closed, people just drive down the road a little ways and shoot trees. so we are given those guys a place to go so they dont ruin it for the rest of us.

Plus, if we had a 10 lane 250 yard range 30 minutes from Portland with berms, we could arrange a NWFA day and have a bunch of us guys go up and have a fun day. With groups going from here then we know we are going to have a bunch of safety conscious people together

there are hundreds of places in Tillamook forest alone where people go shoot and often leave trash and shoot trees. Giving them a designated place leaves the respectable people like you guys to have more places to go that will hopefully be safer and quieter.

For example with the Browns camp pit. If it is closed, people just drive down the road a little ways and shoot trees. so we are given those guys a place to go so they dont ruin it for the rest of us.

Plus, if we had a 10 lane 250 yard range 30 minutes from Portland with berms, we could arrange a NWFA day and have a bunch of us guys go up and have a fun day. With groups going from here then we know we are going to have a bunch of safety conscious people together
yes, and agree. Hope it didnt sound like I was critiquing the idea, Im not and think its a good thing for all the reasons above.

Id be interested in learning how such a range would work with rules... hot, cold, stand behind the line etc.?
Id be interested in the 250 yards myself.... I know where to go but walking thru a clearcut to change targets kinda sucks lol.

yes, and agree. Hope it didnt sound like I was critiquing the idea, Im not and think its a good thing for all the reasons above.

Id be interested in learning how such a range would work with rules... hot, cold, stand behind the line etc.?
Id be interested in the 250 yards myself.... I know where to go but walking thru a clearcut to change targets kinda sucks lol.

It did not sound like a critique. I just wanted to state for the group why we are motivated to help these ranges get made despite that I dont really like shooting with messy strangers either.

We are helping design the range. So it is up to us to help tell the forest service what to build. I saw an area on the map that they are considering. its in a bowl depression so has a good backdrop. They would have a timber sale and part of the sale is all the stumps get removed and graded flat and berms build up. It may only be a wide open clearing with berms and backdrop to start, but so much easier to maintain. @Norm0931 is helping them design the ranges because he has good experience in this area. But they are literally coming to us and saying "what should we do?" So we have a great opportunity to get what we want made. They arent going to build us a resort and pay for shooting booths and range officers (though that may be a thing one day)

After last summer, you might put on there we practice good fire prevention.

Actually, that is one reason we are getting help from the forest service. They decided that building us designated shooting spots was much less expensive than putting out fires started by people shooting trees in the high fire season.

I like the idea of the list, I can't think of anything to add or remove. I appreciate what it represents and I appreciate the folks that back it up by doing the clean-up events and abiding by the code of ethics, or something similar they personally adhere to.

As for me, I haven't shot on public land in years. The #1 reason are the quality of people I encountered on a regular basis - unsafe gun handling, sometimes drunken behavior, complete disregard for the site - it seemed these bozos would show up every single time we'd go to shoot. And that would leave us having to pack up because it was simply too unsafe to remain there. The other issue is how far away these areas are - from my home, the nearest public land is over an hour away - my range, DRRC is just over 30 minutes from home - and I can be almost assured of not running into any idiots there - at least I haven't yet ;) The only real drawback is I can't shoot a lawnmower filled with Tannerite at DRRC :rolleyes: My hope is to eventually own my own property I can shoot on when I want - it won't be happening soon.

But back to the matter at hand - I'm thankful for those folks who are caring for the public lands and taking the initiative to work with the Forest Service and working to give NW shooters a positive image. Props to all who are contributing. Hopefully one day my schedule will line up in such a way that I can lend a hand on one of the cleanup events too.

Keep in mind these are not rules, just a mind set. Common sense. The kind of stuff that isn't taught to our younger generations anymore. Many people have like-minded thinking but may not have considered some of the suggestions listed. Some may need just a little encouragement to prompt them into adopting a respectable sportsman's frame of mind. Seeing a list in print helps to solidify the decision to step up, be responsible and get on board with these widely accepted principles. Having them associated with the Northwest Firearms organization gives them credibility as well.

We choose locations away from popular multi use recreation areas.
Good idea. That would be nice when possible. However, some locations happen to be close to other recreational use areas yet perfectly safe to shoot at. Nice guy etiquette says don't rattle their cages but we can't always accommodate everyone. It should be covered in #9 & 10...
9. We are aware of others while shooting.
10. We know our target and what is beyond.
Andy said it pretty good...
We respect others and their use of the public lands.

Pretty good Cogs!
First change, I expect access to public lands!
Something to the effect of, we bring and take out our own targets, rather than shoot trees!
I agree we should expect access. But this message is about treating that access with respect. It's like electricity. I expect it to be there when I want it and I'll certainly respect it or it will bite me in a bad way.

The bring in and take out our own targets, and shooting trees... Should be covered in

2. We value our natural resources.
3. We leave no trace of our activities.
4. We remove more than just our own trash.

We endeavor to pack out twice as much as we pack in.....
Good thought. I may try to reword #4.

perhaps something about committing to cultivating and maintaining a proper and positive image of what shooting enthusiasts / members of NWFA should look like to the general public?
That's the general drift of our community outreach involvement. It will be promoted in this publication.

We follow all applicable laws while transporting fire arms to and from the shooting site.
Perhaps edit #8 to say: We practice safe handling and transporting of firearms.

What about pamphlets with a little free gift such as foam ear plugs in mini ziplock bags, and a rolled up trash bag?
Yes. We do this in the NWFA Target Shooter Information program. Free paper targets, ear plugs and a trash bag. We even offer a free splatter target if they return the bag full by the end of the day.

The hand out pamphlet idea is in the making. It will be from NWFA and will promote the code of ethics, general common rules for shooting on public land and more info on NWFA. And yes, we do have a NWFA member with top notch expertise helping us on the design!

the list is good, but it might be too long. 12 points is a lot to memorize.
I would condense it to a shorter list. "we abide by the 4 safety rules" would cover all the safety related points.
I would be cautious of listing a point that requires a lengthy explaination, such as what it means to respect the land or others... especially when "we remove more than our own trash".....
Too long! I know. I have a problem with being too wordy. I have to think and rethink about how to put it in print and still it gets too long. And now I went and opened up a big can of worms that tends to make the list longer yet! Still, I assure you we'll keep it short and sweet. Never thought about memorizing it. Nah, just something to keep in mind and spark some thought. Usually they will have the pamphlet with them. Close enough.

Good point about things needing a lengthy explanation. I'll rethink those. Thanks.

Maybe change it to:

We teach others by being a good example
Reading though the posts, I cannot think of anything else to add to the list. Thanks cogs for putting the list together.
Thanks, Timber! I appreciate your contributions as well!

I like the idea of the list, I can't think of anything to add or remove. I appreciate what it represents and I appreciate the folks that back it up by doing the clean-up events and abiding by the code of ethics, or something similar they personally adhere to.

I'm thankful for those folks who are caring for the public lands and taking the initiative to work with the Forest Service and working to give NW shooters a positive image. Props to all who are contributing. Hopefully one day my schedule will line up in such a way that I can lend a hand on one of the cleanup events too.
Thank you etrain! We all appreciate your support!

I'll post a revised edition as soon as I can. Meanwhile, any other comments and input are welcome and will be given serious consideration.

Thanks all. It will be better now!

Cogs

We choose locations away from popular multi use recreation areas.

Hikers, mt bikers, campers and other forest users etc. are put off by gunfire nearby. Target shooting near popular recreation areas, trails, trailheads and established campgrounds etc. really isn't doing us any favors. I'm not certain what an appropriate distance should be, but we drive out there in vehicles and have endless forest roads to get away...
Sad thing is, where we used to be able to shoot unimpeded, Mt.Bikers and hikers and many other users move into the area and shooters are forced out.

Sad thing is, where we used to be able to shoot unimpeded, Mt.Bikers and hikers and many other users move into the area and shooters are forced out.

this is true sometimes, its a judgement call sometimes its appropriate to stay and sometimes its appropriate to reloacte.
But consider that in every situation Ive seen this happen its because the shooters were trashing the place.

It sure has happened in Yacolt Burn State Forest, on the WA side. This pas year especially. We now have several more (new) recreational groups who aggressively work with DNR and they get the land for their sport. If there were shooting places there, too bad, they have to close them down. It has now pushed more of us to the far east side to shoot. Won't be getting any better unless we get more involved.

It sure has happened in Yacolt Burn State Forest, on the WA side. This pas year especially. We now have several more (new) recreational groups who aggressively work with DNR and they get the land for their sport. If there were shooting places there, too bad, they have to close them down. It has now pushed more of us to the far east side to shoot. Won't be getting any better unless we get more involved.

this is actually a good reason for an established shooting range on public lands. Its hard to argue against one set up before other users "move in" and one set up correctly to be safe.

Something to consider for the Tillamook St forest area.... right now there isn't much developed hiking or biking opportunity. but there will be in the near future. There is a very strong movement in process to convert the old Salmonberry railroad into a hiking and biking trail.... It has already become popular with hikers. I don't know where your planning on locating the new established shooting range but if you need more information on this PM me I'll share what I know...

Briefly... One trailhead is at Cocran, another 2 trailheads are accessed via Salmonberry Rd from 26... they drive right past all those popular (and often trashed) shooting spots. The latter "trailheads" is less popular than Cocran due to the rougher roads and farther drive.

It would be good to locate the range well away from those trailheads.

Last Edited:
So that's why they want to bike and hike there?????
this is true sometimes, its a judgement call sometimes its appropriate to stay and sometimes its appropriate to reloacte.
But consider that in every situation Ive seen this happen its because the shooters were trashing the place.

this is actually a good reason for an established shooting range on public lands. Its hard to argue against one set up before other users "move in" and one set up correctly to be safe.
It is also a good reason for us to get more actively involved with the Forest Services and public land management. So far, I have not heard of any other organization of gun owners who are working closely with these agencies towards trying to help save recreational shooting. NWFA is the only one here in the Northwest. They like the fact that we are interested and trying, but in reality, we could accomplish a lot more if more of us were involved with them.

The other groups are very involved and the forestry's listen because they are groups and clubs with many members who are actively pushing for more of their kind of recreation. That's what we should be doing.

I certainly would devote more time and effort, but, I have a job. Bummer! Only so much time in a day and too much of it is spent earning a living and sitting in traffic! :mad: Someday perhaps. :rolleyes:

Cogs

So that's why they want to bike and hike there?????
if that's in reference to the comment I made about shooting locations being trashed, no. They want to hike and bike there because there are existing or new trails being developed in that area. Hiking and Mt Biking are growing activities. Take a look at Cogs last post, they have a lot of advocacy and membership..... its way more popular than target shooting, its not going away. They (hikers and bikers) are feeling the crunch too (over crowded trails), and are very actively seeing to establish new locations and new trails to recreate on.

also consider that many popular places to shoot became popular due to location, not necessarily because its the best location to shoot. When other user groups cross paths, public safety is going to be an issue every time and shooters are going to lose. It doesn't help that most shooters severely trash those locations. Those are likely the places I suggest to stop using and let them have it, if they have already moved in its too late. If its a location that's naturally set up safe to shoot then they can learn to live with it.

NWFA is the only one here in the Northwest. They like the fact that we are interested and trying, but in reality, we could accomplish a lot more if more of us were involved with them.
and that's why I look forward to volunteering this weekend in the Tillamook cleanup. I realise what your saying about time and effort I'm in the same boat and put off volunteering but this weekend I put off the other stuff :) Look forward to meeting you.

now if only we can get more new people into responsible target shooting.

if that's in reference to the comment I made about shooting locations being trashed, no. They want to hike and bike there because there are existing or new trails being developed in that area. Hiking and Mt Biking are growing activities. Take a look at Cogs last post, they have a lot of advocacy and membership..... its way more popular than target shooting, its not going away. They (hikers and bikers) are feeling the crunch too (over crowded trails), and are very actively seeing to establish new locations and new trails to recreate on.

also consider that many popular places to shoot became popular due to location, not necessarily because its the best location to shoot. When other user groups cross paths, public safety is going to be an issue every time and shooters are going to lose. It doesn't help that most shooters severely trash those locations. Those are likely the places I suggest to stop using and let them have it, if they have already moved in its too late. If its a location that's naturally set up safe to shoot then they can learn to live with it.
Well said Mr. Koda!

Am I the only one who thinks that "established shooting areas" are the beginning of the end to target shooting on public lands.
I'm all for safety, cleaning up after yourself, and respecting the land (not shooting trees down ), but I think your falling right into the liberals trap.
Next you will need a permit to shoot in these designated spots. Then they will decide that for public safety that it is just not allowed anymore.
Slippery slope

Very good Cogs. It would be interesting to post the final version at some of the shooting sites with the Forest Service permission. Would people get the clue or would we be providing just another target? Most probably dont belong to this site who are leaving most of the mess. I would be willing to enlarge and laminate a poster for one of the more "used" sites on Marys Peak. I would clean it up first and come back in a couple of weeks to see if it made an impact.:)

Am I the only one who thinks that "established shooting areas" are the beginning of the end to target shooting on public lands.
I'm all for safety, cleaning up after yourself, and respecting the land (not shooting trees down ), but I think your falling right into the liberals trap.
Next you will need a permit to shoot in these designated spots. Then they will decide that for public safety that it is just not allowed anymore.
Slippery slope
Interesting perspective and well worth bearing in mind.

Question is; do we quit trying to improve the situation and face a more certain shutdown, or continue our efforts to save it, improve it and expand it?

Doing the later means we always watch each others backs for slippery slopes and lib traps. Without our involvement, however, it could easily happen and we would never know until it's already done.

Appreciate your input, eightyeight, and your respect for good stewardship.

Cogs

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads