JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
What would you like to see as our own Code of Ethics for outdoor sport shooting on public land?

I was trying to keep it positive by using the wording 'We' do this and 'We' do that. I'm not so excited about other organizations who print a lot of 'Don't' do this and 'No' to that.

How might you word this? What would you include or delete? (gotta be short sentences).

NWFA Sport Shooter's Code of Ethics
  1. We respect access to our public land.
  2. We value our natural resources.
  3. We leave no trace of our activities.
  4. We remove more than just our own trash.
  5. We don't use drugs/alcohol when shooting.
  6. We report illegal acts to Law Enforcement.
  7. We teach others by being the example.
  8. We practice safe handling of firearms.
  9. We are aware of others while shooting.
  10. We know our target and what is beyond.
  11. We value the use of eye & ear protection.
  12. We respect Recreational Sport Shooting.
Thanks for your feedback!

Cogs
------------------------------------------------------
Edited
3-31-16 Revision 1... (from pg 3, post #42)

We;
  1. Abide by all firearms safety rules.
  2. Expect and respect access to public land.
  3. Don't shoot trees or damage natural resources.
  4. Clean up our trash and more when can.
  5. Don't use alcohol or drugs while shooting.
  6. Are aware of others and our surroundings.
  7. Report illegal acts to Law Enforcement.
  8. Respect other recreational users on public lands.
  9. Present a good example to others.
  10. Respect and support Recreational Sport Shooting.

Last Edited:
We choose locations away from popular multi use recreation areas.

Hikers, mt bikers, campers and other forest users etc. are put off by gunfire nearby. Target shooting near popular recreation areas, trails, trailheads and established campgrounds etc. really isn't doing us any favors. I'm not certain what an appropriate distance should be, but we drive out there in vehicles and have endless forest roads to get away...

Pretty good Cogs!
First change, I expect access to public lands!

Something to the effect of, we bring and take out our own targets, rather than shoot trees!

We respect others and their use of the public lands.

Remember that how folks see you is how they might judge all gun owners.
What you say and do can affect every gun owner.
We as gun owners need to hold ourselves to a higher standard.

Not everyone you meet on public lands is fond of guns or happy to see you and your guns.
I've had folks get all "uppity" with me while shooting , explaining to me why I'm the bad guy and in my face with hostility .
All while I was quietly fuming on the inside , not responding other than to calmly pack up my gear and leave.

I am not saying that we as gun owners should be a "doormat" and have folks walk all over us.
However when encountering anti gun people who are giving you grief on public lands , that is not the time to engage in a debate over guns.
Too many chances for something to be misheard or misread.
Andy

perhaps something about committing to cultivating and maintaining a proper and positive image of what shooting enthusiasts / members of NWFA should look like to the general public?

Cogs,

We are friends but I guess I just am not sure why we need these rules put together?

All forest lands have public shooting rules that cover most of what you have laid out.

Being that you tried to stay positive, they come across as kind of vague to me.

Is this for a flyer or just for the site as info?

We respect others and their use of the public lands.

Remember that how folks see you is how they might judge all gun owners.
What you say and do can affect every gun owner.
We as gun owners need to hold ourselves to a higher standard.

Not everyone you meet on public lands is fond of guns or happy to see you and your guns.
I've had folks get all "uppity" with me while shooting , explaining to me why I'm the bad guy and in my face with hostility .
All while I was quietly fuming on the inside , not responding other than to calmly pack up my gear and leave.

I am not saying that we as gun owners should be a "doormat" and have folks walk all over us.
However when encountering anti gun people who are giving you grief on public lands , that is not the time to engage in a debate over guns.
Too many chances for something to be misheard or misread.
Andy

Try coming and getting hostile while I'm out in the boonies shooting lol. There will be no misunderstandings I guarantee ;).

perhaps something about committing to cultivating and maintaining a proper and positive image of what shooting enthusiasts / members of NWFA should look like to the general public?

Lost me there - are we talking about how we physically dress when out shooting?

Yeah man, I clearly meant that we all need to dress snappy and similar when we go shooting.   :p:D

I was just trying to say that if we are trying to assemble a sort of mission statement as to who we are collectively as members of NWFA, are people who would strive to put a positive and appropriate face on the firearms world.

As an example, we should try to be positive and lead by example as firearms owners, when dealing with people who may be ignorant of the lifestyle, inexperienced or simply curious.

Stuff like picking up after yourself, being courteous and helpful to less experienced Shooters when they need help or advice, being responsible with our firearms etc, all that would fall under putting a good face on Gun owners and such.

Last Edited:
It is a good reminder but I would suggest that a good responsible firearms enthusiast already strives for those things without a list. Perfect example you are responsible where every bullet goes that you pull the trigger on. A list will cover 80-90 percent of the time but you need to assess the environment on a case by case situation for special issues.

It's just a code. Not preaching to the choir, but it could be a handy tool for new shooters.

From personal experience, I think you people need to step it up on the neck washing!!!:D

What about pamphlets with a little free gift such as foam ear plugs in mini ziplock bags, and a rolled up trash bag?

I figure if I had some kind of public land shooting etiquette pamphlet as well as an introduction to NWFA and I would hand it out while leaving my shooting area (I always pass 1-4 vehicles) I could raise awareness using the "honey versus vinigar" method. Instead of barking at folks to clean their garbage up I could make them more aware with a cause and perhaps sway them with some free swag or at least make them feel like we truely want them to be a part of the community.

Does anyone think this may be a viable option? I would provide the "freebies" myself, maybe figure out a cool little info kit but a pamphlet would be awesome to have to hand out as well, especially if I could print them off at home.
Anyone with design experience could certainly make that a reality. My artistic skills rival a 3yo.. So help in that department would be awesome.

the list is good, but it might be too long. 12 points is a lot to memorize.
I would condense it to a shorter list. "we abide by the 4 safety rules" would cover all the safety related points.
I would be cautious of listing a point that requires a lengthy explaination, such as what it means to respect the land or others... especially when "we remove more than our own trash".....

Cogs,

We are friends but I guess I just am not sure why we need these rules put together?

All forest lands have public shooting rules that cover most of what you have laid out.

Being that you tried to stay positive, they come across as kind of vague to me.

Is this for a flyer or just for the site as info?

Try coming and getting hostile while I'm out in the boonies shooting lol. There will be no misunderstandings I guarantee ;).

One reason Cogs is working on this because our cooperative effort with the forest service. They are going to build us ranges and we are going to be the stewards. we will help direct shooters to the correct places to shoot, try and educate shooters the best we can and then help with clean up efforts. The forest service is going to put up signs at the target shooting sites as well with this kind of information.

Great stuff here. I don't have the time to respond till after work, but I will tonight.

Thanks for all the good pros and cons!

Cogs

since this is related to an open public range maybe something about range safety, ethics...

not certain what that would be but an established public land open range is much different than shooting anywhere on public lands.

on the side, I hope that creating an established range doesnt detract from the advocacy and ethics of legal shooting anywhere on public lands. I would hate to lose that privelidge because now there is somewhere sanctioned to go....

e side, I hope that creating an established range doesnt detract from the advocacy and ethics of legal shooting anywhere on public lands. I would hate to lose that privelidge because now there is somewhere sanctioned to go....

I won't shoot in a part of the woods that has other people near me and won't be invitingto them because I don't trust other people up there and certainly don't want to either intentionally for my guns or accidentally get shot by Joe Blow who just bought an AR cuz they are cool or whatever and has no idea how to handle a long gun...

I know a lot of others here have stated the opposite in the past and I respect them for it, but I'm choosy about who I go out to the woods with and certainly wouldn't be interested in inviting someone to my shooting spot and then feel like I'm the one who needs to leave when they start hauling out microwaves to shoot up or are unsafe jackwads.

So maybe these signs wouldn't be where I go to shoot and my opinion is certainly biased against group shooting areas like the Larch gravel pit clean up from last month (you'll never see me there unless it's a NWFA clean up).

I won't shoot in a part of the woods that has other people near me and won't be invitingto them because I don't trust other people up there and certainly don't want to either intentionally for my guns or accidentally get shot by Joe Blow who just bought an AR cuz they are cool or whatever and has no idea how to handle a long gun...

I know a lot of others here have stated the opposite in the past and I respect them for it, but I'm choosy about who I go out to the woods with and certainly wouldn't be interested in inviting someone to my shooting spot and then feel like I'm the one who needs to leave when they start hauling out microwaves to shoot up or are unsafe jackwads.

So maybe these signs wouldn't be where I go to shoot and my opinion is certainly biased against group shooting areas like the Larch gravel pit clean up from last month (you'll never see me there unless it's a NWFA clean up).

exactly, feel the same way Joe. I have the same concerns for a public land established range if there is no range officer.... unless I happen by when its totally empty I probably will drive to my own spot.

im not discouraging the idea or program, in fact I think its a good idea especially for new shooters.... there are many benifits for having an established public land shooting range.

Upcoming Events

Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR
Falcon Gun Show - Classic Gun & Knife Show
Stanwood, WA
Lakeview Spring Gun Show
Lakeview, OR
Teen Rifle 1 Class
Springfield, OR
Kids Firearm Safety 2 Class
Springfield, OR

New Resource Reviews