JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Am I the only one who thinks that "established shooting areas" are the beginning of the end to target shooting on public lands.
I'm all for safety, cleaning up after yourself, and respecting the land (not shooting trees down ), but I think your falling right into the liberals trap.
Next you will need a permit to shoot in these designated spots. Then they will decide that for public safety that it is just not allowed anymore.
Slippery slope

I think its also possible that established ranges might be what saves open public land shooting (free range shootin o_O:p?) because whats been getting shooting banned is all the trash and unsafe shooting that so many target shooters do.
maybe if newbies have an established place to go they will either learn faster or worst case the trash will be in one place for us to clean up after them.

also, by the time public lands become closed to target shooting we will be thankful for the existing established ranges (like them or not), grandfathered in so to speak.

I do agree we need to also continue to work with the forest service to keep public lands open for target shooting outside of established locations.

Here's the before and after, resulting from our conversations herein, so far. It may still need some work so help me think about it. I tried to incorporate most of the suggestions that many of you put forth, however, some of the wording may still need fine tuning. I'm afraid of making sentences too long because of space available on a brochure.

Original...
NWFA Sport Shooter's Code of Ethics
  1. We respect access to our public land.
  2. We value our natural resources.
  3. We leave no trace of our activities.
  4. We remove more than just our own trash.
  5. We don't use drugs/alcohol when shooting.
  6. We report illegal acts to Law Enforcement.
  7. We teach others by being the example.
  8. We practice safe handling of firearms.
  9. We are aware of others while shooting.
  10. We know our target and what is beyond.
  11. We value the use of eye & ear protection.
  12. We respect Recreational Sport Shooting.

Revision 1...

We;
  1. Abide by all firearms safety rules.
  2. Expect and respect access to public land.
  3. Don't shoot trees or damage natural resources.
  4. Clean up our trash and more when can.
  5. Don't use alcohol or drugs while shooting.
  6. Are aware of others and our surroundings.
  7. Report illegal acts to Law Enforcement.
  8. Respect other recreational users on public lands.
  9. Present a good example to others.
  10. Respect and support Recreational Sport Shooting.
So let's fine tune this thing and go to print!

Thanks!

Cogs

#3 Don't damage trees or natural resources. (it's shorter).
#8 Respect other recreationalists. (drop the users on public land?).
10 Respect and support public land shooting. (?)

#3 Don't damage trees or natural resources. (it's shorter).
#8 Respect other recreationalists. (drop the users on public land?).
10 Respect and support public land shooting. (?)

#3, with the amount of people that actually shoot trees, id explicetly state to not shoot trees. some people still think shooting a tree doesnt harm it.
#10, respect and support target shooting on public lands.

#3, with the amount of people that actually shoot trees, id explicetly state to not shoot trees. some people still think shooting a tree doesnt harm it.
#10, respect and support target shooting on public lands.
Good ideas...
We;
#3 Don't shoot trees or damage natural resources. (the forest service likes including "natural resource" words)
#10 Respect and support target shooting on public lands. (However, this should apply to hunting as well. That's why I wasn't specific about target shooting only.)

Oh, by the way, I won't be having the lines numbered. Might do bullets but not a numbered order. Just did that here so we can reference the list easier.

heres some good ones:

-muzzle control/trigger control
-know your surroundings
-respect other shooters
-dont be an idiot
-dont leave your crap behind
-dont shoot trees
-dont be an idiot
-pick your brass up and give it to me if you dont want it ;)
-PICK UP YOUR CRAP AND DONT BE AN IDIOT!!!

-dont be an idiot.

Hahaha! The Trump version!

I know, I'm an idiot!
no, the idiots are those who ive encountered at crooked finger... 4 hispanic gangbanger looking fellas shootin 40s amd 9s as fast as humanly possible and hip shootin shotguns...right next to me. as soon as i started packing up to move, they were done as fast as they were ready. they left all their targets there (silhouettes ofcourse) and their brass. i watched them put their guns away and asked "may i pick your brass up please?" in response we got a "YA" (shoulder shrug). then, they left. without their targets.

so its been a while for this thread but thought Id dig it back up to add some new perspective that I think should be addressed.....

Now that the Wolf Creek lanes have been in use for a while we can see they have been a great improvement for shooters and reducing trash. But there is something thats grown out of that, safety and etiquette on the range sites...

2 times now Ive been up there and have been swept with muzzles. One time we were just driving by a group setting up and they were handling their rifles by their car and swept us as we drove by. Another time someone showed up and after sweeping the other guys next to us, without warning or any discussion at all opened fire right next to me, I hadn't put on my hearing protection yet. :mad: This brings me to my second point to discuss, whats the etiquette of moving in on someone who has already grabbed a lane and set up? We did have others turn around so not everyone "expects" to share a lane while others seem to think its ok.

So I feel if the etiquette is where sharing is expected then some basic safety rules needs to be discussed and posted up there. Things like not handling your guns until everyone agrees the range is hot. At a private club if you open your case and the muzzle isn't pointed downrange you close the case and turn it around, and only when the range is hot.

Why isn't this one as sticky?

Maybe, in my case anyway, I don't look at "Stickies". I prefer looking down the line at active threads. If the title interests me I look.

Sorry @Koda , don't really have any input for you. I know that when I first started shooting in 2010, at Brown's Camp, the people there were quite safe as far as going hot/cold and checking to see that every one was ready when we went hot.

so its been a while for this thread but thought Id dig it back up to add some new perspective that I think should be addressed.....

Now that the Wolf Creek lanes have been in use for a while we can see they have been a great improvement for shooters and reducing trash. But there is something thats grown out of that, safety and etiquette on the range sites...

2 times now Ive been up there and have been swept with muzzles. One time we were just driving by a group setting up and they were handling their rifles by their car and swept us as we drove by. Another time someone showed up and after sweeping the other guys next to us, without warning or any discussion at all opened fire right next to me, I hadn't put on my hearing protection yet. :mad: This brings me to my second point to discuss, whats the etiquette of moving in on someone who has already grabbed a lane and set up? We did have others turn around so not everyone "expects" to share a lane while others seem to think its ok.

So I feel if the etiquette is where sharing is expected then some basic safety rules needs to be discussed and posted up there. Things like not handling your guns until everyone agrees the range is hot. At a private club if you open your case and the muzzle isn't pointed downrange you close the case and turn it around, and only when the range is hot.

What you cite there is why I finally joined a range a few years ago. Problem with public sites is that you have no control over what others do out there. Sure, you can try to educate them, but not everyone is going to take kindly to being approached about their gun handling and safety. When someone joins a range, they are agreeing to abide by safety and etiquette standards. Public range, they don't answer to anyone. And as evidenced by all the cleanups necessary, far too few folks give a sh!t about safety, etiquette or the environment and how they leave it.

I got tired of being swept, over and over. I got tired of obnoxious idiots blazing away at various targets, leaving crap behind. I got tired of people drinking or showing up drunk. None of that happens at the range, making shooting much more enjoyable. Too bad too, because I used to love shooting in public spots. Seems a lack of personal responsibility by too many folks has killed that enjoyment for me.

My hope is to own my own property with enough room for a nice range someday. Until then, I'll likely continue to avoid those public spaces.

Like many here , I too have been swept by muzzles , seen some unsafe practices , cleaned up after others at public shooting areas etc ...
It is always good to "read" a situation or a person before giving advice or a safety comment.
If I need to stay at the shooting area and a group of folks are less than safe or clean and seem unreceptive to a friendly chat / advise ...
I find that a big showing of leading by example can get the message across without a fuss.
Things like:
Making it clear that we are checking firearms before heading down range.
Giving of range commands.
Clearly and loudly communicating our intentions to clean up , change targets , check to see if the guns are loaded etc ...

Granted this can been seen as passive aggressive ... So again be sure to take the time to read the situation and the folks you are dealing with.
As much as I like "teaching in the moment" ... Sometimes its just best to leave...
Andy

Sure, you can try to educate them, but not everyone is going to take kindly to being approached about their gun handling and safety.

And thats why we left. What this means though, is its just a matter of time until someone is shot....
Then all that work weve done creating public lanes goes down the tubes. Something needs to be done....

And thats why we left. What this means though, is its just a matter of time until someone is shot....
Then all that work weve done creating public lanes goes down the tubes. Something needs to be done....

I agree, but what can you do? No one has any authority over them, unless they break the law. Unfortunately freedom and rights can be abused by some, even when most of us recognize and practice common sense and respect. Confronting jerks with guns can be a very sensitive subject.

Honestly, short of requiring some kind of permit to shoot with a requirement to take safety training and orientation, I don't see how to fix it. Besides, who of us wants more government involvement?

I just get tired of leaving when the jerks show up. Just some folks that don't, and likely never will, get it.

Maybe a ad campaign along the lines of "Smoky Bear"...
A poster / flyer which states:
Only you can prevent this area from being closed to shooting.
Pick up after yourself.
Remember to watch your muzzle.
Finger off the trigger until ready to shoot.
Watch for people down range.
Communicate with others who are using this area.

I get that these posters / flyers / signs will get trashed and or shot up ...
But maybe if these are placed at the local gun shops or sporting goods stores it might help....
if nothing else it may get a message across that not all gun owners are "slob shooters" and that we are watching and wanting to put a stop to bad shooting practices.
Andy

Maybe a ad campaign along the lines of "Smoky Bear"...
A poster / flyer which states:
Only you can prevent this area from being closed to shooting.
Pick up after yourself.
Remember to watch your muzzle.
Finger off the trigger until ready to shoot.
Watch for people down range.
Communicate with others who are using this area.

I get that these posters / flyers / signs will get trashed and or shot up ...
But maybe if these are placed at the local gun shops or sporting goods stores it might help....
if nothing else it may get a message across that not all gun owners are "slob shooters" and that we are watching and wanting to put a stop to bad shooting practices.
Andy

I want to believe that would work, but alas, I fear they would go unheeded as I expect the folks that most need to read and learn from them are the ones least likely to do it.

Now what I think could help - firearms safety as part of all school curriculum, starting in grade school - and add to that stewardship of public lands. Start young and continue teaching it periodically through the years. Maybe, just maybe, you would get some positive outcomes.

Beyond that, I wish parents at least would teach such things (mine did as I do with my daughter), but fear of guns has led us to a growing population of folks that simply don't learn these lessons. It's both sad and scary.

But do post the signs (I believe that's already being done) and maybe someone will learn something.

I have two ideas...
1) range safety rules and basic etiquette posted at each shooting lane. At least there would be something to point to when someone stubborn doesnt want to listen and thinks your the one out of line for calling him out....

2) arraing for free range safety classes at one of the local gun stores lime Sportsmans. Everytime they sell a gun they can hand out a class invite to new gun owners and the "experienced" ones as well. Maybe an evening class, 1 hr, once a month to educate new shooters

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top