JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
There are signboards up already at each lane, all we need to do is print the rules and laminate them then staple them up.

Of course people probably will vandalise them but like all the trash we can maintain them as we go.

I've been peaking at these posts but haven't had time to respond. Really good conversation you're having here.

I think the ideas of doing the signs and the etiquette info in a pamphlet, are good. I know the brochures we distribute are popular, as we can't keep them on the shelf at the gun stores, so, I'm sure a pamphlet like this would be well received.

If you guys don't mind, I'll work something up and try to get something that hits the target (yes, pun intended).

What we need is a good school teacher that has summers off to just travel around and give these classes. Already has the teaching knowledge and the gun saftey down pat. If they get out of line the military training kicks in.

Could be a win win for everyone. :D

Yeah, someone moderate, who won't go off half-cocked, certainly not a flash-in-the-pan, someone who can ram that info into their brains, keep them all on target, spark their interest in guns and safety and won't spend half the class Hawken his books, seminars, etc.

:rolleyes:

Yeah, someone moderate, who won't go off half-cocked, certainly not a flash-in-the-pan, someone who can ram that info into their brains, keep them all on target, spark their interest in guns and safety and won't spend half the class Hawken his books, seminars, etc.

WOW well done my friend well done.

There was a Punster Convention (really) not long ago where one of the participants wore a T-shirt that said "You Make Me Corny."
You win the t-shirt @etrain16
Oh wait...that didn't come out quite right :eek:

This is why you should not drink coffee ( or anything else ) while reading posts here. :D
I almost ruined my keyboard , I was laughing so hard ...:eek::D
Andy

Hm...after reading some of this thread I dunno.

Rules are already in place. Both with firearm handling and places to shoot. I respect my national forest. People just need to respect something.

What we need to do is vote laws into place such as:

-gang bangers and crack heads can be shot on sight during a crackhead hunting season regulated by fish and game.

-osp needs the authority to shoot cell phone while driving and passing on the right offenders on sight.

-all snowflakes/liberals must collectively stay in one city and remain In the city.

Give me your votes now...Mr. A-MAX for president.

Hm...after reading some of this thread I dunno.

Rules are already in place. Both with firearm handling and places to shoot. I respect my national forest. People just need to respect something.

What we need to do is vote laws into place such as:

-gang bangers and crack heads can be shot on sight during a crackhead hunting season regulated by fish and game.

-osp needs the authority to shoot cell phone while driving and passing on the right offenders on sight.

-all snowflakes/liberals must collectively stay in one city and remain In the city.

Give me your votes now...Mr. A-MAX for president.

There is already a place where it's open season on drug addicts (and people who aren't but are called "addicts" for personal or political payback). The Philippines is ruled by a murdering authoritarian strongman. It ain't pretty.
There is another place where secular "liberals" are being rounded up, jailed, and fired from their jobs wholesale. Turkey is run by another authoritarian strongman and it's going down the toilet too.
Our democracy is dying, I know that. Too many Americans are tired of democracy and crave an authoritarian strongman.
I just hope the Republic holds on for just a little longer.

There is already a place where it's open season on drug addicts (and people who aren't but are called "addicts" for personal or political payback). The Philippines is ruled by a murdering authoritarian strongman. It ain't pretty.
There is another place where secular "liberals" are being rounded up, jailed, and fired from their jobs wholesale. Turkey is run by another authoritarian strongman and it's going down the toilet too.
Our democracy is dying, I know that. Too many Americans are tired of democracy and crave an authoritarian strongman.
I just hope the Republic holds on for just a little longer.
Just my humor man. I'm only kidding. Except for the drug dealers.

We respect others and their use of the public lands.

Remember that how folks see you is how they might judge all gun owners.
What you say and do can affect every gun owner.
We as gun owners need to hold ourselves to a higher standard.

Not everyone you meet on public lands is fond of guns or happy to see you and your guns.
I've had folks get all "uppity" with me while shooting , explaining to me why I'm the bad guy and in my face with hostility .
All while I was quietly fuming on the inside , not responding other than to calmly pack up my gear and leave.

I am not saying that we as gun owners should be a "doormat" and have folks walk all over us.
However when encountering anti gun people who are giving you grief on public lands , that is not the time to engage in a debate over guns.
Too many chances for something to be misheard or misread.
Andy
This is a problem because you can go a 100 mile 's into the woods and have a hiker come and give you a problem because he thinks the woods are his lol carry a shovel the S#!+ gets deep out there and a shovel is always needed to cover up s#!+

Well, we missed this go round for sign changes. They are already printed and ready to post.

This Saturday, the 29th, Trash No Land and ODF will be replacing and upgrading the signs at North Fork Wolf Creek Rd, in Tillamook State Forest (The Luepold team will be joining us as well). We're replacing all signage with new & updated info for each lane, including the yardage of each. We'll also be discussing how to 'firm up the berms', as they are deteriorating from a years worth of use.

Here's a couple of the new ones going up (Dropbox PDF Files)...

Dropbox - NorthForkWolfCreek_Diagram_Site_3_v11212016_2.pdf

Dropbox - Site Sign_2.pdf

I'll be planning on space to add the new range etiquette info to these signs. Here's a pic of what the signs look like today... Faded and wrinkled. Two of the signs have holes through them. (Not bad for 1 year in use!). The plywood is easily replaced and we'll post all new signs on each lane.

Lane 2 Sign.jpg

Sign example.jpg

So if you're up there this Saturday, stop and say "Hey"!

As for Wolf creek, maybe something painted on the barriers regarding the four basic rules. Large letters would be pretty hard to ignore? "MUZZLES MUST BE POINTED DOWN RANG AT ALL TIMES!" for instance? It really needs to be wording that is in your face. I'm not sure that any regular shooters, that may tend to be a little loose with the basic rules, are going to even look at the small print on the sign boards most times?

As for Wolf creek, maybe something painted on the barriers regarding the four basic rules. Large letters would be pretty hard to ignore? "MUZZLES MUST BE POINTED DOWN RANG AT ALL TIMES!" for instance? It really needs to be wording that is in your face. I'm not sure that any regular shooters, that may tend to be a little loose with the basic rules, are going to even look at the small print on the sign boards most times?

I like your idea but would ultimately say do both. We do need full range safety rules posted in detail.... But a basic rule or two plastered in your face wouldnt hurt either.

I was able to spend Friday a.m. with new found friends on lane 3 and after a while had a chance to talk to Randy, the state forest manager about this precious resource for shooters. Some shooters are apparently leaving their brass lying on the ground believing it's okay because someone is coming along and picking it up. That's true, but that's not what the folks running the show would like to see. Randy asked to make it clear that the preference is for each of us to remove all of our brass and target material we bring on site including any target boards we think will be useful to the next shooter. The agency is in the process of considering opening a couple of other lanes including one exceeding 100 yards, so we need to do all we can to encourage that. No shooting signs, no shooting in the air, pick up your brass, take your target material with you. Not so hard to do.

I was able to spend Friday a.m. with new found friends on lane 3 and after a while had a chance to talk to Randy, the state forest manager about this precious resource for shooters. Some shooters are apparently leaving their brass lying on the ground believing it's okay because someone is coming along and picking it up. That's true, but that's not what the folks running the show would like to see. Randy asked to make it clear that the preference is for each of us to remove all of our brass and target material we bring on site including any target boards we think will be useful to the next shooter. The agency is in the process of considering opening a couple of other lanes including one exceeding 100 yards, so we need to do all we can to encourage that. No shooting signs, no shooting in the air, pick up your brass, take your target material with you. Not so hard to do.
Good report, @Oya ! Thanks for the feedback!

As Randy puts it... We have Opportunities here (at these lanes). Opportunities to show we care about recreational shooting, in that we all share the responsibilities of stewardship. Opportunities to teach others by example and conversations. Opportunities to grow recreational shooting, and Opportunities to preserve our kind of recreation for years to come. It means we need to educate, inform and encourage people to come on board and adopt an attitude of high esteem and pride for respectable shooting on public land.

Today, we met with Randy Peterson, of ODF, and performed a little maintenance & repairs on all the signs at North Fork Wolf Creek (we as in Brian, VP of Trash No Land @Reno911 and I).

All new, bright, lovely signs! You may notice the additions to the 'Lane Maps' sign. They now include the yardage of each (the blue arrow line). We replaced the plywood on Lanes 2 & 4 because of shotgun holes, and all lanes got new beautiful signage. When they get damaged and wrinkled again, we'll change them out once again (probably next summer).

We are also planning some improvements to these lanes. Stuff like mud control, berm support, ways to discourage putting targets above the berms on the hill, and more. When we get to those improvements, we'll need some volunteer help to get them done. It will be sometime this fall.

For now, here's what went down today...

B&B&R Sign update2.jpg

IMG_3055.JPG

IMG_3051.JPG

IMG_3052.JPG

IMG_3063.JPG

IMG_3048.JPG

IMG_3061.JPG

IMG_3060.JPG

IMG_3059.JPG

IMG_3053.JPG

So you can see, we're stepping up to the plate and promoting responsible shooting at these places. We have a valuable asset in Oregon Dept of Forestry and Randy Peterson! Let's not let him down and show that we are good stewards and value the privilege of shooting on public land. More ideas and improvements to come!

Thanks all!

Bill

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews