JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Wait, a guy wants to hunt and we're down on him because of his inexperience? If more had a passion for hunting, gun ownership and proper stewardship of our lands resources we'd be in a better situation all around.

Tough crowd.

I think its the fact that he wants to start with elk. It would be a good idea imo for somebody new to hunting to start off with something smaller, easier to handle and pack out after a kill. But hey, if his friend actually knows what hes doing then it shouldnt be a problem.

I'm not gonna be too hard on this guy. I started much the same way, but out of a sporting, rather than "subsistence" motivation. For the first 3 years I just winged it. Didn't look a darn thing but I did have a bull elk walk right up to me and that was a little scary. First deer I ended up killing got packed out on my shoulders because I didn't think far enough ahead and I imagine things may go similarly for this man. You gotta start somewhere

SQUIRREL!!

1588525245677.png

Wait, a guy wants to hunt and we're down on him because of his inexperience? If more had a passion for hunting, gun ownership and proper stewardship of our lands resources we'd be in a better situation all around.

Tough crowd.

Yes, give him credit for wanting to try, but it sounded like he's underestimated what elk hunting many times requires, from locating, identifying, getting in range, having a clear shot, taking a clear shot, making a clear shot, making a clean hit, maybe tracking, maybe dealing with bad weather, then gutting and packing out (and in this guy's case, packing out on a borrowed horse....Maybe rent a pack mule if he's not a horse guy to begin with.). A lot of times elk hunting is way different than what you watch on a guided hunting show.

Some elk hunters go 5-10 years without bagging an elk. And some newer hunters "chase" elk after the elk spook and line out. Chasing them will push them completely out of the "country" except in limited circumstances, like when there are enough other hunters to eventually bounce the elk back into your territory.

I'm wondering why most every one here, not you so much Andy, just assumes that someone deciding to hunt isn't doing any research? Assuming people that haven't been staunch gun owners for 20-30-50 years, are just naturally too dumb to figure things out?

I know where your coming from, but damn, every one coming into guns/hunting are presumed idiots? That attitude is getting old around here.
I think that generally we jest in good nature. That being said though, such notions are being heartily reinforced from the recent swarm of brand new gun buyers. It's not that they bring stupid questions to the table, but they are maiinly new converts from the never-want-to-own-a-gun crowd. Now these folks are overnight operators and SHTF geniuses and we get to watch it unfold. Are we responsible for their upbringing? No. However, it would behoove us all in the end to be there to offer guidance when asked. But how can you not laugh when a dog is serious about chasing it's own tail?

I'm wondering why most every one here, not you so much Andy, just assumes that someone deciding to hunt isn't doing any research? Assuming people that haven't been staunch gun owners for 20-30-50 years, are just naturally too dumb to figure things out?

I know where your coming from, but damn, every one coming into guns/hunting are presumed idiots? That attitude is getting old around here.

I think the same way toward the bug-out LARPers, but this guy gets the bonus danger points because he actually intends to kill something. Hopefully he has lots of help, or how much of what he kills will go to waste? Especially when he figures out how much work this all turned out to be?

I can see the ad in the paper ..........Darwin hunting party of 12 being formed.
For July 15th.........bring medical supplies and have current life insurance.
Being able to differentiate an orange hunting vest from an elk is a plus.

I wish him well and I commend him for at least thinking about survival and having a rudimentary plan.

However, how many times have you heard someone say that if SHTF they're going to the mountains. The same people who think roughing it is a cheap motel.

Good luck to them and stay away from my place.

I think those who criticize this guy do so because of the words: Loan.

Along with other words of great assumption...

Yeah, sure I'll 'loan' all the things you're responsible for...nope.

Last Edited:
So basically a canned hunt with a dipstick behind the wheel... :eek::eek::eek:
Yeah sure I'll let you borrow my horse.... NOT!!!!!:rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes:

The horse is the back up meat plan....

Actually the guy does sound like he is putting some planning in place. Talking with an experienced hunter, knowing he has to haul out the kill. Heck if he could convince someone to loan him a horse he probably has a solid plan.

I'm down on this guy by experience.
I know someone who bought a prescoped rifle to go hunting and never shot it before we went out for a week's hunt.

I see people every year who go hunt that drink heavily and thengo hunting.

With the legalization of weed, how many willsmoke weed or eat edibles and go hunt?

How many will shoot an animal then not know how to properly harvest it, clean it?

people in general are idiots. And do not research things before jumping head first in.

These people could spend hundreds or thousands to go hunting and out of inexperience or bad luck. Never see an animal.

People will take bad shots, possibly injuring an animal and then not search for it, or just never find it.

For every Hour I spent hunting, I've spent 10 hours on research, reading, and learning.

People don't do that these days. They are built around instant gratification.

I have worked with mass public for too long. I've see people do things that bogle my mind over and over again.
It takes years to learn how to hunt.
When people get desperate, people get dangerous. Not just to otgers, but themselves

I have worked with mass public for too long. I've see people do things that bogle my mind over and over again.

I worked in ER's for a long loooooooong time and my mind was boggled daily.
Usually several times a day.
My conclusion was that people are stooopid.
Most of them had no idea how they ended up in the ER either.
Well hey Billy Bob...........you're an idiot.

I know someone who bought a prescoped rifle to go hunting and never shot it before we went out for a week's hunt.

I see people every year who go hunt that drink heavily and thengo hunting.

With the legalization of weed, how many willsmoke weed or eat edibles and go hunt?

How many will shoot an animal then not know how to properly harvest it, clean it?

people in general are idiots. And do not research things before jumping head first in.

These people could spend hundreds or thousands to go hunting and out of inexperience or bad luck. Never see an animal.

People will take bad shots, possibly injuring an animal and then not search for it, or just never find it.

For every Hour I spent hunting, I've spent 10 hours on research, reading, and learning.

People don't do that these days. They are built around instant gratification.

It takes years to learn how to hunt.
When people get desperate, people get dangerous. Not just to otgers, but themselves

Killing something while high will really harsh his mellow, dude....

He could always shoot the horse, though.

It's not as though he has to hunt - heck, he'd be sitting on it, and good clean head-shot with the brand-new .357Mag he's carrying would do the biz.

Poor horse.

Some people are more creative than others. I think there was a post on here a few years ago of a guy packing his elk out on a mountain bike.

Ditto this - and the rest of your post as well.

I think most of the criticism comes from experienced hunters who take offense to this Elliott's oversimplified and entitled approach to this.

It's like hunting is something he can buy a 'ticket' for and pass through the 'gate' and do - kind of like an amusement park and the tour guides will do the rest.

Those of us who grew up hunting know about the 100s of other things about hunting and all that goes with it this guy is probably not even considering and I don't think I have to mention any of them.

Final post about this - over and out.

Upcoming Events

Rifle Mechanics
Sweet Home, OR
Handgun Self Defense Fundamentals
Sweet Home, OR
Teen Rifle 1 Class
Springfield, OR
Kids Firearm Safety 2 Class
Springfield, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads