JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
Just read this Reuters article about non gun owners subsistence hunting because of the virus.
What could go wrong.

"So for the first time in his life, despite not owning a rifle or ever having hunted large animals, he put his name in for New Mexico's annual elk permit draw."

"I understand some people might be driven by like antlers or some sort of glory. I don't want to do that," said Elliot, 37, who received a prized permit to shoot a female elk in an area of Taos County where herds of the animal graze in vast plains studded with extinct volcanoes.

Elliot plans to borrow a rifle and maybe even a horse to carry the elk back to his vehicle after the hunt in November. "I want to make sure it's a clean, humane shot, as much as possible, and get a bunch of food."

Sounds like a plan, what could possibly go wrong. :confused:
EVERYTHING !!:eek:
Animal Cow.gif :rolleyes:

I'm not promoting poaching at all.......but hunting for subsistence by going through a state tag draw and renting a horse and the means to transport the horse and all the other crap he'll need to get started? That will be the most expensive meat he ever gets, if he even gets anything and manages to get it processed before it goes bad.

For many years, I've heard folks say they just plan to hunt if things go really bad.
If you've ever been in or near the woods on opening day of Elk season in Western Oregon, you likely know what a truly SHTF event would look like. :eek:

"food" for this guy may well have been the feral free range tofu pattie;
"food" in the grain or non-dairy sense;
"food" in ANY sense that doesn't involve stalking/killing/gutting/horseback packing/rifles/etc.

For many years, I've heard folks say they just plan to hunt if things go really bad.
If you've ever been in or near the woods on opening day of Elk season in Western Oregon, you likely know what a truly SHTF event would look like. :eek:

If it ever got that bad, them 4x4 blacktails walking around all the beach houses in Ocean Shores would get educated real quick!

So being the history nerd that I am ....and having a liking for the history of the fur trade and westward expansion....
I could cite many journals that are filled with "Greenhorns" that had no idea or business being out there hunting.

Note that I am not against someone new to guns or hunting , wanting to hunt....
If that "wanting" is also coupled with the desire and a willingness to actually learn all the aspects of how to hunt.
Andy

This scares me. There's already too many people out there.
now you add in a bunch of idiots who probably won't even properly sight in there rifles.
shooting at anything that moves, ie. Other hunters. Not following the rules, poaching, etc.

I think you will see a surge in poaching, especially if meat does become scarce.

I wonder if ANY of these people have ever:

Gutted and field dressed an animal.
Packed one out.
Skinned one.
Carved one up.

I wonder if any of them even know what a gambryl is?

AND - I wonder how many of them have their Hunter's Safety Cert to even GET a license or tag?

Elliot plans to borrow a rifle and maybe even a horse to carry the elk back to his vehicle
Oh yea, there are no doubt people lined up to loan you a rifle and a horse - LOAN you a horse? Like you have a way to get it to the hunting area and have any horsemanship skills?

I think all this talk by 'non hunters' of going hunting is just a bunch of doodly squat!

Last Edited:
So being the history nerd that I am ....and having a liking for the history of the fur trade and westward expansion....
I could cite many journals that are filled with "Greenhorns" that had no idea or business being out there hunting.

Note that I am not against someone new to guns or hunting , wanting to hunt....
If that "wanting" is also coupled with a desire to actually learn all the aspects of how to hunt.
Andy

I'm wondering why most every one here, not you so much Andy, just assumes that someone deciding to hunt isn't doing any research? Assuming people that haven't been staunch gun owners for 20-30-50 years, are just naturally too dumb to figure things out?

I know where your coming from, but damn, every one coming into guns/hunting are presumed idiots? That attitude is getting old around here.

Upcoming Events

Lakeview Spring Gun Show
Lakeview, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR
Falcon Gun Show - Classic Gun & Knife Show
Stanwood, WA
Wes Knodel Gun & Knife Show - Albany
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top