JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Not a fan of that method of kill, but I can agree that the crowds are slightly less.

No judgment on my part, as I haven't 'hunted' anything but varmints since getting out of the military.

That brother admitted last fall that he's feeling his age [turning 68 soon] and is debating whether to go with a lower draw weight or stop altogether. He's been a long distance runner all his life, and runs the hills off season studying the terrain and game sign. He's been an extraordinarily successful hunter [deer, black bear, elk] as he's in great shape, goes way into the back country on his horse with a pack mule, and hunts alone stalking on foot.

He switched to bow hunting after too many encounters with drunks, loud obnoxious groups thrashing around in the woods shouting at each other, etc. That's what initially drove him to get the pack mule so he could go miles in from the nearest road. The final straw was when a round went over his head as he sat on a log [in blaze orange] eating lunch and glassing a canyon.

...after too many encounters with drunks, loud obnoxious groups thrashing around in the woods shouting at each other, etc.
...The final straw was when a round went over his head...
^^^ why I don't hunt anymore ^^^

In a way I feel sad for this guy. (OMG I feel so guilty....that moose back strap ....rare to medium rare last night... was so good). He got the tag, though, so , in addition to the other expenses he has committed to I hope he hooks up with someone who knows what they are doing....and I hope he is in really good shape. Fair is fair and we wish him luck. If he scores it will be a life changing event and he will know what it takes next time.... and his brain is crying out for more real meat. Some of us can't help hunting. Too bad he waited for some crisis to commit.

He switched to bow hunting after too many encounters with drunks, loud obnoxious groups thrashing around in the woods shouting at each other, etc. That's what initially drove him to get the pack mule so he could go miles in from the nearest road. The final straw was when a round went over his head as he sat on a log [in blaze orange] eating lunch and glassing a canyon.
^^^ why I don't hunt anymore ^^^

I have also had similar experiences with rounds flying, and with encountering drunks and obnoxious groups. In the first case, I have been ordered out of more than one person's "spot"... huh? In the second case, I've driven thru areas populated by people standing at the backs of a group of trucks, with rifles in one hand, and 5ths in the other... disgusting.

My friend, former Sheriff Bob Price of Union County had one elk stolen when he went to get the truck, and another taken at gunpoint.

I wish to make it clear that none of these episodes featured new hunters.

A friend many years ago lost a deer this way.......

I didn't get a deer or an elk that often, reason why I liked bird hunting, but to go thru all the prep and effort, get some luck, then have it stolen.... that is just heartbreaking and would be too much. Both the Sheriff and I quit big game hunting after the second incident. :(

I only came back when other friends invited me to elk camp with them. I did that for another 10yrs, equal to the time I had quit, but the last few years was only camp cook for a number of reasons, price of elk tags being one.

I think its the fact that he wants to start with elk. It would be a good idea imo for somebody new to hunting to start off with something smaller, easier to handle and pack out after a kill. But hey, if his friend actually knows what hes doing then it shouldnt be a problem.
Lots of unwanted bunnies at Langley on Whidby Island. Easy enough to ambush because they stop & check for traffic before using pedestrian crosswalks.

Lots of unwanted bunnies at Langley on Whidby Island. Easy enough to ambush because they stop & check for traffic before using pedestrian crosswalks.
Hell i got lotsa unwanted bunnies at my place too. They seem to take great joy in hopping around in front of my cameras all night long triggering the cams over and over snd over..... and over

And over....

. But every time i get a chance to pop one of the stupid little buggers, i just cant seem to bring myself to do it.

Dress 'em up like mountain lions. You'll be just fine... ;)

Hell i got lotsa unwanted bunnies at my place too. They seem to take great joy in hopping around in front of my cameras all night long triggering the cams over and over snd over..... and over

And over....

. But every time i get a chance to pop one of the stupid little buggers, i just cant seem to bring myself to do it.

I used to hunt bunnies, now I have gone soft.... the only bunnies I could hunt (now) are at the Gentlmen's Dance Club, but alas, I am too old and soft for that too!! ;)

Last Edited:

Upcoming Events

Lakeview Spring Gun Show
Lakeview, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR
Falcon Gun Show - Classic Gun & Knife Show
Stanwood, WA
Wes Knodel Gun & Knife Show - Albany
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads