JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
So being the history nerd that I am ....and having a liking for the history of the fur trade and westward expansion....
I could cite many journals that are filled with "Greenhorns" that had no idea or business being out there hunting.

Note that I am not against someone new to guns or hunting , wanting to hunt....
If that "wanting" is also coupled with the desire and a willingness to actually learn all the aspects of how to hunt.
Andy

What do you think the probability is the he will take extra steps to "invest" in "learning" since he is not even investing in a rifle/scope???

This scares me. There's already too many people out there.
now you add in a bunch of idiots who probably won't even properly sight in there rifles.
shooting at anything that moves, ie. Other hunters. Not following the rules, poaching, etc.

I think you will see a surge in poaching, especially if meat does become scarce.

Yesterday, a man from Bend was convicted of poaching a deer. His excuse... he is laid off due to Cov19. Yet he had the $$$ to drive to Baker County to do his poaching. So, I'm calling BS on any excuses given.

I'm wondering why most every one here, not you so much Andy, just assumes that someone deciding to hunt isn't doing any research? Assuming people that haven't been staunch gun owners for 20-30-50 years, are just naturally too dumb to figure things out?

I know where your coming from, but damn, every one coming into guns/hunting are presumed idiots? That attitude is getting old around here.

Not everyone Mikej, just those suddenly coming to a conclusion that it is the best way to get meat, and borrowing all the gear instead of making an investment, and not mentioning training or practice, learning the area, learning the animals habits, etc etc etc.

I think its the fact that he wants to start with elk. It would be a good idea imo for somebody new to hunting to start off with something smaller, easier to handle and pack out after a kill. But hey, if his friend actually knows what hes doing then it shouldnt be a problem.

Maybe, could be... but he still gotta make the shot... he gonna get that borrowed rifle and invest in some practice ammo????

The horse is the back up meat plan....

Actually the guy does sound like he is putting some planning in place. Talking with an experienced hunter, knowing he has to haul out the kill. Heck if he could convince someone to loan him a horse he probably has a solid plan.

Better be a good friend, if not a stoopid one. There was a guy awhile back that wanted to borrow a horse to hunt around here... didn't get any fools that I know of!!!

Some people are more creative than others. I think there was a post on here a few years ago of a guy packing his elk out on a mountain bike.

I remember that guy.... weird dude... wanted to take his dog on the hunt too... wouldn't listen to anybody's advise, lots of dumb questions... I think he got banned as a troll or something.

1. I live in elk country and have seen some of the dumbest/stoopid actions by slob hunters. I even quit hunting big game for 10 years because of it. Yeah, I'll make some assumptions about people jumping in while giving no evidence of being prepared.

2. I was U.S. Coast Guard Search and Rescue Aircrew for years.... again, people doing stoopid things. Like taking a 12' rowboat equipped with a 5hp outboard from Long Beach CA to Catalina Island.... and not making it there... never could. And with no shirt, no sunscreen, no water, no lifejacket, no oars.... but a full case of Bud for sure!!! "Coastie Guards, Coastie Guards.... come save a my azz!!!" :rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes: Point being that our local SAR teams are already super swamped during elk season... unprepared newbies just add to the burden.

Why do I assume he is unprepared.... because he didn't mention any plans to get prepared other than borrowing a rifle and a horse.... does he even know how to shoot or ride???

Judging from my experiences with "experienced elk hunters" I have no problem with new hunters. A lot of hunters that go year after year never bothered to learn to track or to shoot and only zero their rifles if at all a few days before the season. If someone wants the meat and is willing to put in the time and get the license and tag then more power to them. As far as welcoming new shooters and hunters this community has a lot to learn. I know very successful hunters that don't have anything to do with guns outside of hunting but that fill their tags every year. We never have an empty freezer and I'm a late start hunter, the key is to go with someone experienced the first couple times and get a lot time walking steep hills with your gear on before the season starts. I have a cabin in the wallowas that I have never hunted from because of all the idiots up there during rifle seasons.

I have a cabin in the wallowas that I have never hunted from because of all the idiots up there during rifle seasons.

^^^This^^^

The guy is free to do as he is legal to do. Just don't expect me to welcome more idiots with rifles into my neck of the woods. It's the reason why I wear full camo instead of orange... I have been threatened, scoped, shot at, etc while wearing orange... now I try to be invisible. Well, I did anyway... can't get out anymore... maybe it's just as well, all for the better.

This fellow has someone acting as guide. But he still has to make the shot. I self learned, mostly, when I moved here, but I had been shooting hunting rifles for years and owned several that I practiced with... how bout you? Did you wander the woods carrying a rifle that you weren't proficient with?

What do you think the probability is the he will take extra steps to "invest" in "learning" since he is not even investing in a rifle/scope???

Yesterday, a man from Bend was convicted of poaching a deer. His excuse... he is laid off due to Cov19. Yet he had the $$$ to drive to Baker County to do his poaching. So, I'm calling BS on any excuses given.

Not everyone Mikej, just those suddenly coming to a conclusion that it is the best way to get meat, and borrowing all the gear instead of making an investment, and not mentioning training or practice, learning the area, learning the animals habits, etc etc etc.

Maybe, could be... but he still gotta make the shot... he gonna get that borrowed rifle and invest in some practice ammo????

Better be a good friend, if not a stoopid one. There was a guy awhile back that wanted to borrow a horse to hunt around here... didn't get any fools that I know of!!!

I remember that guy.... weird dude... wanted to take his dog on the hunt too... wouldn't listen to anybody's advise, lots of dumb questions... I think he got banned as a troll or something.

As far as the borrowed rifle thing, being prepared and able to make a clean kill, i have reservations about that too. But i dont know the situation. Hopefully his "experienced hunter" friend is on the ball, and will have him shooting plenty long before the season, and make damn sure hes capable. I dont know. But if everything is good, and his friend holds his hand through the whole thing, i think it will be a big eye opener for this guy about what goes into this whole hunting your own meat thing. He will see its not a trip to an outdoor grocery store.

I have a friend who has never hunted, just got a couple guns, took hunter ed, wants to give it a try. If he comes through and does it like he says, he will be borrowing one of my rifles to hunt bear in august. But hell have to prove out being capable with it. I dont think that will be a tall order, as i intend to set him up with a 50 yard maximum shot distance, likely closer to 20 yards. But if i dont think he has his bubblegum together, i wont take him. He will be using basically all gear borrowed from me. That way he can make sure this is something he wants to continue pursuing before investing a bunch of money. The reality of having a big dead animal to deal with a couple miles from the truck, then having to butcher it might make him decide hes not into the whole hunting thing, we will see.

Well, I suppose you have start somewhere when it comes to hunting, but starting out with an elk tag is a tough business. I wonder if this guy realizes what exactly is involved here. By the time he buys the gas, the gear, the clothing, the knives, the gun and ammo, etc he's either going to have to work at being a hunter each year, or he's wasting his money. You can buy a fair amount of beef for what all that costs.

Would be a better story if he actually bags one, though. You never know. My old man used to take me out when I was a kid. He was a lousy hunter for years right up until the time that big buck walked out along a ridge in plain sight. My kid sister couldn't have missed that shot. :)

What do you mean you need points to draw a tag?........yeah I know 25% is random, might as well buy lotto ticket.
Over the counter tags too, but you better know a place.
On the other hand, with prices of licenses and tags continuing to climb there may be less and less hunters with discretionary funds.

What do you mean you need points to draw a tag?........yeah I know 25% is random, might as well buy lotto ticket.
Over the counter tags too, but you better know a place.
On the other hand, with prices of licenses and tags continuing to climb there may be less and less hunters with discretionary funds.
It has gotten pretty spendy, the ODFW bemoans the yearly drop in hunters yet jacks the fees up to the point that it doesn't make economic sense to hunt if you are doing it to put meat on the table. We are lucky in property tags and a pretty healthy elk population but if you were just starting out due to economic reasons it gets pretty spendy even without all the gear. Then there are all the got to have it newest hunting cartridge and the rifle and scope and then guys want the newest boots even though last years haven't been broken in, new packs and then the camper guys and $70K trucks and GPS stuff. Just like fishing follow the old guy in hunter orange with a thirty year old 30/06 and a paper map, he knows what he's doing.

The hell does roofing have to do with hunting?
Nothing - I was referring to a game hanging gambrel:
hme-hunting-made-easy-shooting-accessories-ghg-64_1000.jpg

What luck on drawing the tag!
My last 10 years in the PRK neither I nor anyone I knew got lucky enough to get a tag in the drawing
Anyway, maybe this guy will wise up and pay for a guide.

Since I am not the "he" in question....I do not know.
I did read in the article , that the "he" in question is going out hunting with a friend who is a experienced hunter , which suggests some foresight....

I do not know his budget ....nor any of his plans...
Maybe he will buy a rifle of his own...
But we have seen what happens , at times , when new gun owners show up here and ask questions lately...
( Or have threads about whether or not one should help or be civil to them )

I will not assume that everyone who is new to guns or new to hunting are like some of the stereotypes that have been posted in this thread.

If I was new to hunting and saw this thread...

It might have me thinking that hunters are a cliquish group filled with closed minded individuals....based on many of the comments.

No one was born knowing how to hunt or shoot...
One had to learn how to do these things.
Maybe he will , maybe he wont.... I don't know

I do know that I did not become the hunter and shooter that I am today , without help and encouragement from others in the past.

What I also know is that there is a truckload comments and questions on this forum of :
Why don't we have more gun owners....?
Why don't we have more hunters...?

Yet when someone new shows up or shows interest...there are posts after posts , most of which can be summed up as :
Screw him.
That ain't right.

Now before someone reads too much into to my post here...
Am I saying that you need to befriend every new gun owner or hunter.....No
Nor am I sayin' that all new gun owners or hunters are going to friends to you or the 2nd Amendment.
But...

To call out a new gun owner or hunter and assume the worst ...is the same as when that happens to gun owners or hunters , by anti-gun or anti- hunting groups.

Please note that I am not calling you bbbass cliquish or small minded.....
Just sayin' what I am seeing in some of this thread.
Andy

I think that generally we jest in good nature. That being said though, such notions are being heartily reinforced from the recent swarm of brand new gun buyers. It's not that they bring stupid questions to the table, but they are maiinly new converts from the never-want-to-own-a-gun crowd. Now these folks are overnight operators and SHTF geniuses and we get to watch it unfold. Are we responsible for their upbringing? No. However, it would behoove us all in the end to be there to offer guidance when asked. But how can you not laugh when a dog is serious about chasing it's own tail?

Man, that's some weird shizzle! Funny as hell though! :s0114:

XtraNormal was all the rage a few years back. Funny stuff. You could write your own script, choose your own characters, and become an internet hero in no time!

I think the same way toward the bug-out LARPers, but this guy gets the bonus danger points because he actually intends to kill something. Hopefully he has lots of help, or how much of what he kills will go to waste? Especially when he figures out how much work this all turned out to be?

Maybe he'll learn some things? Maybe he'll learn that hunting is the best thing in the world? Or, not. Maybe he'll get his animal by using common sense and his abilities? You just don't know.

Maybe he'll learn some things? Maybe he'll learn that hunting is the best thing in the world? Or, not. Maybe he'll get his animal by using common sense and his abilities? You just don't know.
Or perhaps mother nature can throw him that curve ball where the hunter becomes the hunted.

Upcoming Events

Lakeview Spring Gun Show
Lakeview, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR
Falcon Gun Show - Classic Gun & Knife Show
Stanwood, WA
Wes Knodel Gun & Knife Show - Albany
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top