JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Yet when someone new shows up...there are posts after posts , most of which can be summed up as :
Screw him.
That ain't right.
No that ain't right but this guy did NOT show up as a new forum member - it was a post of a news article.

Also this is NOT a 'cliquish' or 'small minded' issue - its a generational and traditional issue a lot of us have a problem with because many of us grew up with guns, the outdoors and hunting as a lifestyle and not a sudden, 'off the cuff' undertaking that can be accomplished with a 'borrowed' rifle and a horse? (the borrowed horse thing is odd to me - considering I know many experienced horsemen)

Has this guy ever shot a gun? Is his shot at an Elk going to be his first?

Sorry, there are a LOT of things wrong with the article and the whole story in general but I do see one thing that is evident - this Elliott is seeking attention and using this Reuters story as an avenue to do so.

I have no idea how one gets to be a story in a Reuters article but somehow he did and he is no doubt using it for some unknown advantage.

This part is so contrived and was most likely written for him to say:

"I want to make sure it's a clean, humane shot, as much as possible, and get a bunch of food."
As much as possible? And get a bunch of food?
What silly responses.

Last Edited:
You know what forget it...
I am done with this thread..and trying to voice my opinion in it.
Have at it.
Final words of mine in this thread...
Some of the attitudes and comments in this thread are part of what is killing gun ownership and hunting in America.
Andy

and trying to voice my opinion in it.
Andy, your opinions are spot on and we are on the same team!

How would you like it if someone showed up at one of your traditional BP meets/shoots/rendezvous with a modern inline, dressed in tight jeans and espousing his desire to go shoot a trail match or anything else?

This is kind of how I interpret this guy and his desire to 'hunt'.

I think he's ready. :D

10-times-people-failed-hilariously-2.jpg

Andy, your opinions are spot on and we are on the same team!

How would you like it if someone showed up at one of your traditional BP meets/shoots/rendezvous with a modern inline, dressed in tight jeans and espousing his desire to go shoot a trail match or anything else?

This is kind of how I interpret this guy and his desire to 'hunt'.
Not trying to speak for anyone here, but at our Rendezvous he would be told he couldn't shoot an in-line (particularly with conical as they're hard on the targets) but would be offered an opportunity to go out with someone else and share their traditional rifle. We also don't require costuming to shoot the rifle trail but give shooters an extra point on their score if they do. Point being, we encourage people to come out to shoot and will bend over backwards to let them shoot the rifle trail. Given the numbers at our 'vous, it must be working.

As for the tight jeans, let me say there are some people that just SHOULDN'T be allowed to wear a breech clout and leggings either.:eek:

Last Edited:
I'm wondering why most every one here, not you so much Andy, just assumes that someone deciding to hunt isn't doing any research? Assuming people that haven't been staunch gun owners for 20-30-50 years, are just naturally too dumb to figure things out?

I know where your coming from, but damn, every one coming into guns/hunting are presumed idiots? That attitude is getting old around here.
Right. For all we know, this guy is a military vet and knows his way around a gun very well. I suspect he is actually. Suspect he also knows how to ride. And if hes going with someone experienced that will take care of the rest.

I think it was the presumption and arrogance that bugged us. Starting with elk instead of deer. The apparent assumption that even with no hunting experience, on his first try he will get the elk, the only problem being how to get it home.

When I moved to where I live now, I had never hunted anything bigger than a rabbit.

Whitetail deer near 97030 on private property was shooting off the hood of the truck for my brother in law. After all of the deer had been scattered, the experienced hunter and I marched for an hour before I missed my first shot on a rifle I had never fired. The guide was surprised I did not take a second shot when the animal moved higher up the hill and I lost a good backstop.

An hour later (I have no delusions that this was a difficult hunt), used Kentucky windage to take a prone shot across a ravine. No one will believe the distance, but I had to aim where a rack would have been to drop the round in the plumbing. I DO know how to shoot.

It took 4 grown men and a tote goat to get that thing home.

It can be done. It was not pretty. I had substantial help.

I also put meat in the freezer.

Might as well eat the horse. You'd save some money.
Actually, horse is very tasty. Very similar to good aged beef but with even richer, more intensely beefy flavor. Horse meat burgers was a featured menu item at a place I used to eat occasionally during grad student days.

I agree with Mikej everyone has to start somewhere. Sure he will most likely get skunked. And if he gets lucky and is able to get the meat in the freezer he too can eat $10 a pound meat.

Since I am not the "he" in question....I do not know.
I did read in the article , that the "he" in question is going out hunting with a friend who is a experienced hunter , which suggests some foresight....

I do not know his budget ....nor any of his plans...
Maybe he will buy a rifle of his own...
But we have seen what happens , at times , when new gun owners show up here and ask questions lately...
( Or have threads about whether or not one should help or be civil to them )

I will not assume that everyone who is new to guns or new to hunting are like some of the stereotypes that have been posted in this thread.

If I was new to hunting and saw this thread...

It might have me thinking that hunters are a cliquish group filled with closed minded individuals....based on many of the comments.

No one was born knowing how to hunt or shoot...
One had to learn how to do these things.
Maybe he will , maybe he wont.... I don't know

I do know that I did not become the hunter and shooter that I am today , without help and encouragement from others in the past.

What I also know is that there is a truckload comments and questions on this forum of :
Why don't we have more gun owners....?
Why don't we have more hunters...?

Yet when someone new shows up or shows interest...there are posts after posts , most of which can be summed up as :
Screw him.
That ain't right.

Now before someone reads too much into to my post here...
Am I saying that you need to befriend every new gun owner or hunter.....No
Nor am I sayin' that all new gun owners or hunters are going to friends to you or the 2nd Amendment.
But...

To call out a new gun owner or hunter and assume the worst ...is the same as when that happens to gun owners or hunters , by anti-gun or anti- hunting groups.

Please note that I am not calling you bbbass cliquish or small minded.....
Just sayin' what I am seeing in some of this thread.
Andy

Sorry I asked...

Nice rant Andy.... but the thread is about a guy in an article that does NOT mention anything about efforts to learn other than having a friend do the guiding, which IMO is okay since my objection was that no mention was made of learning to shoot or practicing with the rifle, not somebody new coming here and asking questions. That kind of person IMO is trying to learn, making an effort, and would not receive negative comments from me, just to be clear. I actually like to help, and have done so in the past. But there are cases where I am skeptical and will continue to add my opinion to the discussion. Just sayin'.

Not a fan of that method of kill, but I can agree that the crowds are slightly less.

Not a fan why? Have you ever tried it?

Around here crowds arent slightly less, theyre non existant. I wont bother rifle hunting deer in washington anymore. Not unless i get a raffle tag that allows me to use a rifle whenever, wherever i want. Got that in 2017, was pretty cool hunting during peak rut in archery season with my rifle :s0155:

Also, hope wheover theya re remember to download all the hunting videos they might need as the trees are not 4g and streaming youtube will be tough.o_O

There's always Slow Elk. I understand that lots of them get taken by beginners and there's a much higher success rate.

OIP.jpg

Last Edited:
It's really foolish to spend the money and time to drive somewhere away from your home to poach a deer, and then if you're caught try to say you did it for food. First, half the time your family is going to say 'Ewwweu!' if you try to get them to eat venison if they haven't done so before...and for what these poaching idiots spend just GETTING a deer...you can still buy a fair amount of meat at the store. Yes, there is meat. Are there limits? Some places, yes. Are there shortages, probably so. Work around it.

I suppose if you have some family who lives out in the far country, and they are going hungry, and eat wild game on a regular basis...then MAYBE I could understand a poach.

MAYBE. But otherwise no.

I've taken new hunters on hunts before. And, experience shooting or not, "buck fever" is a real phenomenon. As long as the new hunter is open minded and willing to listen and heed advice, no problem. It's the know-it-alls that make it challenging. I don't mind being a mentor, but I won't act as a guide. Find their own place to hunt, make their own plans, and I may come with them to help them with the hunt and show them how I do it. Of course, it can't interfere with my own annual hunting plans, lol. I got my own freezer to fill.

Upcoming Events

Lakeview Spring Gun Show
Lakeview, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR
Falcon Gun Show - Classic Gun & Knife Show
Stanwood, WA
Wes Knodel Gun & Knife Show - Albany
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top