JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
I've had a few interactions with LEOs over the years.
I don't tell them I'm carry, but advise them if asked.
I've never had a bad or negative interactions.
But I always treat LEOs with the utmost respect.

My shift in attitude is pretty easy to track, it is directly attributable to the weaponization/militirization of PDs
Well, about that...

cd6424365aac612e152fb7be583a9aab.jpg
Recognize the picture on the lower right? It's the North Hollywood shootout. It happened on February 28, 1997, and it resulted in law enforcement agencies realizing that they were outgunned by the bad guys. They started equipping their officers with AR-15s and M-16s.

Remember this one?

California_Shootings_Lesn_t800.jpg

San Bernardino, California, December 2, 2015. Syed Farook and Tashfeen Malik killed 14 people and died in a shootout with (finally) adequately armed police. So that's why law enforcement is better armed than they were in the past. I am glad to see that they have adequate weaponry and protective gear.

We all recognize that when the liberals complain about "military style" weapons in the hands of civilians, they are merely complaining about cosmetic features that make guns look scary. Yet some of us will complain about "military style" clothing and weapons used by police officers, like that's something completely different. I don't get it.

As for consenting to a search, there's really no right or wrong answer to this. I choose to consent and other people choose not to. It would be a boring old world if everyone had the same opinion about everything.

Shouldn't the officer treat the person he or she stops like an American -- you know, with a Bill of Rights and all that?
They do. That's why they ask politely if they can search your vehicle. It's due to that wonderful Fourth Amendment that we all follow, even the police. And also due to that Amendment, you have the ability to say either yes or no.

1) According to Mas the way to deal with LE is obsequious groveling. I guess there is a specific script that you have to follow, and if you didn't get your copy it's on you.
2) Anything you say can and will be used against you. Factual innocence is irrelevant. If you just stand mute without positive invocation of 4A anything you do or don't say can be used against you. (Salinas vs. TX.) So, if you haven't done anything wrong the only evidence against you would be what you create by answering questions, and you better specifically invoke right to silence. Therefore, there is no good reason to answer questions lots not to.
3) "Keeping the peace" and "enforcing the law" aren't the same thing. Any time you are involuntarily dealing with THE LAW you are in mortal or legal jeopardy. They aren't there to help you. I don't hate cops, but I don't want them involved in my life either.

As a former LEO volunteer, I would always let them search if they asked. I have nothing to hide, and I think it helps to build up good will in case we ever meet again.

Not no, but HELL NO! NOT EVER! I'm all for good will but not at the expense of my rights and never for someone who is actively trying to find something to arrest me for. No way I will EVER help them with that job.

And if anyone else ever drives your vehicle or simply if you ever give anyone else a ride in your vehicle you're crazy. Because are you 100% sure there is NOTHING in your car? Are you positive that nothing fell out of a backpack or purse from your kid's friend that you gave a ride home to from soccer practice last week? Or last month and it fell between the seats and you just haven't found it yet?

Not no, but HELL NO! NOT EVER! I'm all for good will but not at the expense of my rights and never for someone who is actively trying to find something to arrest me for. No way I will EVER help them with that job.

And if anyone else ever drives your vehicle or simply if you ever give anyone else a ride in your vehicle you're crazy. Because are you 100% sure there is NOTHING in your car? Are you positive that nothing fell out of a backpack or purse from your kid's friend that you gave a ride home to from soccer practice last week? Or last month and it fell between the seats and you just haven't found it yet?
yep. no PC no search. i am compliant with EVERYTHING else they ask me within their rights and mine but if theres no PC theres no search. not trying to be disrespectful but i wont willingly give up my rights.

Well, about that...

View attachment 581393
Recognize the picture on the lower right? It's the North Hollywood shootout. It happened on February 28, 1997, and it resulted in law enforcement agencies realizing that they were outgunned by the bad guys. They started equipping their officers with AR-15s and M-16s.

Remember this one?

View attachment 581394

San Bernardino, California, December 2, 2015. Syed Farook and Tashfeen Malik killed 14 people and died in a shootout with (finally) adequately armed police. So that's why law enforcement is better armed than they were in the past. I am glad to see that they have adequate weaponry and protective gear.

We all recognize that when the liberals complain about "military style" weapons in the hands of civilians, they are merely complaining about cosmetic features that make guns look scary. Yet some of us will complain about "military style" clothing and weapons used by police officers, like that's something completely different. I don't get it.

As for consenting to a search, there's really no right or wrong answer to this. I choose to consent and other people choose not to. It would be a boring old world if everyone had the same opinion about everything.

+1. The whole "militarization" thing is almost comical. Oh my god! The cops are wearing black pants...and they have CARGO POCKETS! :s0001: And they're carrying those scary black rifles (that EVERY single gun owner also owns), and they have TANKS!

Ok, really tanks? They're armored vehicles with NO offensive weapons on them other than maybe a battering ram. That's what you call a "tank?"

Police technology is advancing just like anything else and it's driven, largely, by what is going on in the world...like the Hollywood bank robbery. Geez, we got people flying jet liners into buildings and blowing up marathons, and driving vans through crowds full of people and a ton of other crap. And people are going to complain about the cops having a Bearcat or two? :rolleyes:

i think LEOs look badass in their "military type" gear. the SWAT team was at my work a couple weeks ago all up in their gear lookin for someone in the middle of the night. i thought it was cool

I personally want my Police & Deputies to best the best armed & trained. Never understood why this would ruffle someone's feathers.

I seem to have very little interaction with the LEO's around here, except for when I'm playing poker with my cop neighbors. I take their money and they drink my scotch. I'm not sure which of us comes out ahead when it's all over. :p
And if someone pulls an ERPO on you they will be at your door, with guns, enforcing unconstitutional law. Like the nazis....

And if someone pulls an ERPO on you they will be at your door, with guns, enforcing unconstitutional law. Like the nazis....
Huh? Who are you hanging around that would do something like that? If these are the type of friends/acquaintances your hanging around, get new ones. Sorry but statements like that make us seem paranoid & delusional.

Upcoming Events

Lakeview Spring Gun Show
Lakeview, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR
Falcon Gun Show - Classic Gun & Knife Show
Stanwood, WA
Wes Knodel Gun & Knife Show - Albany
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top