JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
ACLDN did an interview with Massad Ayoob this month on how to deal with police in a traffic stop when carrying. Thought some of you might find it useful.

Note that many of us will likely disagree with Massad on allowing the officer to search your vehicle. But the rest of the advice seems pretty sound.

Sidenote: Massad also talked a bit about the Philando Castile incident which I found interesting. :)

Non-Emergency Police Contact

In Oregon they know as it's tied to your drivers license as soon as your license plate is ran.

Twice I've unwillingly and against my wishes had my vehicle searched without reason, without suspicion and without a warrant. Neither time the Corvallis PD produced the video after a records request.

I've often heard when police 'request' permission to search your vehicle (when it's supposed to 'be' a request) don't permit it.

Simply be polite and just say 'no'.

I have mixed feelings if it ever happens.

When I say 'what's the harm' with being search by the police as I have nothing to hide, I'm told by others they'll often find something...even where's there's nothing.

I don't know if this is so (don't allow fishing for no cause) or folks simply being mistrusting or paranoid when interacting with the police even when it's a simple traffic stop.

Given, I've nothing to hide as my vehicle has zero and never has forbidden/criminal items in it, I'm still unsure if I should say yes or no if it ever happens...

I seem to have very little interaction with the LEO's around here, except for when I'm playing poker with my cop neighbors. I take their money and they drink my scotch. I'm not sure which of us comes out ahead when it's all over. :p

In Oregon they know as it's tied to your drivers license as soon as your license plate is ran.

Twice I've unwillingly and against my wishes had my vehicle searched without reason, without suspicion and without a warrant. Neither time the Corvallis PD produced the video after a records request.

Camera's are everywhere now days. There are a VERY few "bad Cops" who make life miserable for the rest. I have not been stopped in decades. If I was and asked? I would decline. They would see I have a CPL when they run my name. I would have already handed my CPL along with my license. Last couple times I had interaction at all it was at a breakdown, waiting for AAA. When LEO pulled up I had ID and CPL in hand and they waved it away without looking. I am sure they had run tags and knew who I was. If I lived where they were doing it anyway, searching and claiming they did not? I would take to making sure I had a camera in my pocket when driving. Sounds like there are a couple LEO's where you live that need to be weeded out. This is a good start. Make one swear out a report then prove they lied. The cover up is always what does in the bad ones. Sadly it's getting a LOT harder to hire good any more. Look how the Police are treated?

TL,

One.

She'll be 51 soon...

Grandkids all grown up too and gone.

But, I get what you're suggesting.

Most of us normal folk trust and admire Law Enforcement, though, yes of course, every organization has a few unworthy's, but thankfully, the key word is 'few'.

I've often heard when police 'request' permission to search your vehicle (when it's supposed to 'be' a request) don't permit it.

Simply be polite and just say 'no'.

I have mixed feelings if it ever happens.

When I say 'what's the harm' with being search by the police as I have nothing to hide, I'm told by others they'll often find something...even where's there's nothing.

I don't know if this is so (don't allow fishing for no cause) or folks simply being mistrusting or paranoid when interacting with the police even when it's a simple traffic stop.

Given, I've nothing to hide as my vehicle has zero and never has forbidden/criminal items in it, I'm still unsure if I should say yes or no if it ever happens...

On the one hand I have nothing to hide. On the other hand, we are literally talking about a person with legal authority who is actively trying to find something to arrest you for. Why on earth would anyone help that person do that job?

And if you happen to have teenagers, this is a particularly risky proposition. Are you 100% certain there is nothing in your vehicle? Are you absolutely positive that nothing fell out of their backpacks or purses in the back seat...or their friend's backpacks/purses that you gave a ride to last week?

I'm in the camp that the response should ALWAYS be, "officer, I do NOT consent to any searches." He may search anyway. But he damn sure isn't doing it with my permission. YMMV.

I am mixed on this. On one hand I have a deep respect for the job that law enforcement does, and also the hassle it has become for them. I have never been asked if my vehicle can be searched. I have nothing to hide, but telling them No, I am not consenting to a search, doesn't that make them immediately suspicious that I would hiding something? L.E.O. out there can you comment?. what's your take on people who refuse to consent to a search. Do you immediately think that someone who does not consent is hiding something?

Unless you called them, they aren't there to help you, and in that case, nothing you say can help you and everything you say can hurt you.

Respect law enforcement, sure, but don't bend over and relinquish the few civil liberties you have regarding search and seizer voluntarily just because you respect law enforcement.

How much you respect them doesn't mean a hill of beans if you end up getting arrested for who knows what reason because you complied with a request that had no legal authority behind it.

They are legally allowed to lie to you, but it's a crime for you to lie to them. Therefore, be polite, and tell the truth, always, but assertive in your rights to not answer questions and your lack of consent to what amounts to illegal and tyrannical action when no crime has been committed and a search of the car is requested.

Would officers like me to search their personal vehicles just because I felt like, I think not.

I am mixed on this. On one hand I have a deep respect for the job that law enforcement does, and also the hassle it has become for them. I have never been asked if my vehicle can be searched. I have nothing to hide, but telling them No, I am not consenting to a search, doesn't that make them immediately suspicious that I would hiding something? L.E.O. out there can you comment?. what's your take on people who refuse to consent to a search. Do you immediately think that someone who does not consent is hiding something?

I have a POS x-wife that use to love to send the cops my way, so I don't care what it looks like and have refused several searches or even speaking to them. I've told them to produce a warrant or go away, they've gone away.

I have been pulled over a lot & haven't had much trouble getting along with cops lately. I like to keep my hands on the wheel, so they can be clearly seen-- that seems to relax cops a bit. When asked if I have any weapons I tell them Yes, in my front pockets. Last month after telling a cop that he asked that I hold my hands out the window until he ran my driver's license, which I did--he came back with a warning, even after I had been driving like an idiot so I musta done something right.

I don't like authority, but I know these guys have a job to do & I prefer getting home sooner rather than starting some bs I can't finish with a cop:eek:

Only been asked about searching my bike one time, I just told the cop that now wasn't a good time for me & he didn't push it

Just tell the cop that you are busy right now, but he can search your car next time

. I have nothing to hide, but telling them No, I am not consenting to a search, doesn't that make them immediately suspicious that I would hiding something?
Probably... so what? Refusing consent to a warrantless search (vehicle, home, business, personal) is not probable cause.
I'm not LE but I know pretty well what it takes to get a search warrant and there aren't too many judges willing to risk their gig by signing off on specious search warrants without cause... it's an empty threat.

Let them search if you feel okay doing that. I've never been particularly concerned about "planting evidence" (although that has happened and been documented), but once you give permission to search, they can do whatever they want... the word "ransack" comes to mind.
Then they leave and you get to spend the next hour on the side of the road repacking your camping gear, Christmas shopping, deck building supplies, suitcases, whatever it was that you were carrying that is now laying on the ground.
No thank you.

Upcoming Events

Redmond Gun Show
Redmond, OR
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top