JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
So, the army went looking for a "new" cartridge to replace the aught6 with a shorter more efficient mid range cartridge that could allow a shorter lighter receiver! Believe it or not, the .30 U.S.was deemed too powerful and combined with the issues with early 03 Springfield, it made sense to come up with a new round! Basically they shortened the aught 6 while retaining all other dimensions and using a newer faster burning powder, cam up with the 7.62X51 and thus, we now have it in continuous use! The .30 U.S. was it self an adoption of a few others of the then new bottle neck rounds, mainly the 6.5X55 Swede and 7X57 Mauser! The round Is actually a scaled down 75 mm howitzer round, and the .50 BMG came from this as well, just scaled up!!!

So, the army went looking for a "new" cartridge to replace the aught6 with a shorter more efficient mid range cartridge that could allow a shorter lighter receiver! Believe it or not, the .30 U.S.was deemed too powerful and combined with the issues with early 03 Springfield, it made sense to come up with a new round! Basically they shortened the aught 6 while retaining all other dimensions and using a newer faster burning powder, cam up with the 7.62X51 and thus, we now have it in continuous use! The .30 U.S. was it self an adoption of a few others of the then new bottle neck rounds, mainly the 6.5X55 Swede and 7X57 Mauser! The round Is actually a scaled down 75 mm howitzer round, and the .50 BMG came from this as well, just scaled up!!!

Do you have a encyclopedia in your head? :D

So the '06 is 13mm longer OA--so it's not like a Wylde, there can be no "One Chamber To Fire Them All." :( lol
13 mm is 1/2 an inch.......sounds like a lot......now I have to look it up. I don't own an 06 any more. They say there is only 5% or less in performance difference.......1/2 an inch in case length sounds like a lot.

I saw a Texas legislator say to the press that in preparation for the hurricane there "Texans stock up on water, food, and ammunition" sounds like a place I could live.....

And M2 AP hardball is exempt from the "Armor-Piercing ban"... good reason to keep a Garand and combat-load of clips or BM59-ish and similar amount of loaded mags around just in case.

Or have a .30-06 AR10, if anybody makes one...

Oh DAMN now that sounds like a great idea. You could name it a AR-36 :D

AR in .30-06 does exist - Noreen Firearms, BN-36 Kind of spendy as I recall last time I looked at them:

BN36 - Carbine Assassin (.30-06)

IMG_9344.JPG

Upcoming Events

Lakeview Spring Gun Show
Lakeview, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top