JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
So, the army went looking for a "new" cartridge to replace the aught6 with a shorter more efficient mid range cartridge that could allow a shorter lighter receiver! Believe it or not, the .30 U.S.was deemed too powerful and combined with the issues with early 03 Springfield, it made sense to come up with a new round! Basically they shortened the aught 6 while retaining all other dimensions and using a newer faster burning powder, cam up with the 7.62X51 and thus, we now have it in continuous use! The .30 U.S. was it self an adoption of a few others of the then new bottle neck rounds, mainly the 6.5X55 Swede and 7X57 Mauser! The round Is actually a scaled down 75 mm howitzer round, and the .50 BMG came from this as well, just scaled up!!!

So, the army went looking for a "new" cartridge to replace the aught6 with a shorter more efficient mid range cartridge that could allow a shorter lighter receiver! Believe it or not, the .30 U.S.was deemed too powerful and combined with the issues with early 03 Springfield, it made sense to come up with a new round! Basically they shortened the aught 6 while retaining all other dimensions and using a newer faster burning powder, cam up with the 7.62X51 and thus, we now have it in continuous use! The .30 U.S. was it self an adoption of a few others of the then new bottle neck rounds, mainly the 6.5X55 Swede and 7X57 Mauser! The round Is actually a scaled down 75 mm howitzer round, and the .50 BMG came from this as well, just scaled up!!!

Do you have a encyclopedia in your head? :D

So the '06 is 13mm longer OA--so it's not like a Wylde, there can be no "One Chamber To Fire Them All." :( lol
13 mm is 1/2 an inch.......sounds like a lot......now I have to look it up. I don't own an 06 any more. They say there is only 5% or less in performance difference.......1/2 an inch in case length sounds like a lot.

I saw a Texas legislator say to the press that in preparation for the hurricane there "Texans stock up on water, food, and ammunition" sounds like a place I could live.....

And M2 AP hardball is exempt from the "Armor-Piercing ban"... good reason to keep a Garand and combat-load of clips or BM59-ish and similar amount of loaded mags around just in case.

Or have a .30-06 AR10, if anybody makes one...

Oh DAMN now that sounds like a great idea. You could name it a AR-36 :D

AR in .30-06 does exist - Noreen Firearms, BN-36 Kind of spendy as I recall last time I looked at them:

BN36 - Carbine Assassin (.30-06)

IMG_9344.JPG

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews