JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
All cameras need lenses, and if you're going to R&D for the photo industry, it's not a far fetched idea to try to milk that investment by applying it to scopes. I think there's more competition in that space though and, while Nikon has great glass and tech there, they need to make up ground in other aspects of scope development and probably found it no longer a worthwhile investment.

All cameras need lenses to focus the light onto the sensor - that isn't going to change anytime soon. Hell, even your eyeball has an iris (aperture) and lens. Nikon has been R&D'ing lens technology for just over 100 years at this point...I think you'll be incorrect about Nikon leaving glass lenses items anytime soon (as even their medical devices use glass lenses).
A lot of that may be true but the camera business has been in great flux in the past 20 years. Except for pprofessionals (and some semis) and with the advent of higher and higher quality camera phones who are buying cameras and lenses these days? I do understand what you said but companies are going to look at their lineups in the far future and ascertain their viability. Maybe they see that they no longer want to compete w/ Canon for camera market. They may still make lenses.

That said, this stream is about their scope line. I see them as just streamlining their product line. I'm sure they'd like to sell a $1+M imaging machine than 20,000 scopes. Just sayin'.

As a hunter, if they don't want my rifle scope money, then I'm not interested in their rangefinders. They may as well drop that line as well.

As a (former) photographer, If I ever get back into photography again, I guess I'll be looking to sell my Nikon lenses and go with another system.

Sounds like they don't like me anymore. Cest la vie.

I'm with you brother!! Politics are everywhere and I'm sick of it.
Do companies understand politics are temporary. Repeat customers last a lifetime. I have some lower end Nikons. Their glass is very good for the money but the turrets aren't. Comparable scopes from other companies or even a cheap 1x6 from who knows where, zero'd in easier and held over time.

At least to my knowledge Nikon didn't go all holier than thou, and just called it a business decision. They are far from a bad product but there are many choices.

A lot of that may be true but the camera business has been in great flux in the past 20 years. Except for pprofessionals (and some semis) and with the advent of higher and higher quality camera phones who are buying cameras and lenses these days? I do understand what you said but companies are going to look at their lineups in the far future and ascertain their viability. Maybe they see that they no longer want to compete w/ Canon for camera market. They may still make lenses.

That said, this stream is about their scope line. I see them as just streamlining their product line. I'm sure they'd like to sell a $1+M imaging machine than 20,000 scopes. Just sayin'.

Camera biz in flux for the last 20 years? Sony didn't release the alpha line until ~2013 and they're killing it with them. Pocket digital cams were all the rage up until cell phones became decent at taking photos...the first iPhone was 2007 and they were hardly ubiquitous at the time. It's only the last 10 years where cell phones have taken over that market. But, yea, the pocket cams are a dead end now.

DSLR's are losing market share to mirrorless ILC's due to their smaller size and most amateurs not needing DSLR specific features. But both of these things do certain tasks that a phone simply cannot, and will not, do - like take a picture at 500mm at f/4. Also, I haven't seen a phone outshoot me yet at a sports match.

Yes, the camera biz is in flux - as it always was. You probably don't recall how it went from rangefinders, to TLR's, to brownies, to SLR's, to pocket auto's, and on and on.

Now, the change is to mirrorless ILC's. Also, Fuji is rereleasing some film because we're seeing a resurgence of film shooting, especially instant films. No, the market isn't what it was by the late 80's, but it's hardly nothing.

Nikon is now the only major player making an autofocus SLR for film - meaning anyone looking to shoot some film has a very large incentive to use Nikon gear, as the lenses are interchangeable (which also means people will keep buying Nikon lenses).

Also, the Canon Rebel (consumer) and its Nikon equivalents sell far more than their pro bodies...

Nikon won't be getting out of the camera and lens game until such time as the company dies completely.

Perhaps, I missed it, but is their decision to get out of the rifle scope business based on an anti-gun position or is it assumed to be...?

It's discussed in the linked article. They are trying to increase sales of optics in Europe and don't want the association with firearms and bloodsports.

It's their prerogative to be in whatever market they choose to participate or not. It simply opens opportunities for other manufacturers and their marketshare will be quickly absorbed by others.

The truth about optics is that a small handfull of factories produce all the glass and lenses. Scope manufacturers design them and the majority are assembled to spec in China. Some, like Leupold, are still assembled here.

ALL of the "reasons" given in the included article are guesses and speculation by outsiders. It is a Japanese company. Japanese companies do mind boggling stuff, and are pretty quiet about the reasons, which are usually only revealed when they fail and CEOs lose jobs, and frequently still make no business sense...Sony is a perfect example.

Zaibatsu politics are really the only ones in play in my opinion.

Guess it's time to part with my Nikon optics. I have no desire to have a company that has discontinued a long standing product line like this due to political leanings. I doubt this was strictly financial.

Corporation and virtue should never be used in the same sentence, lol. My belief is it's all about the money, or lack of it.

With the el cheapo Chinese-made products nibbling away at the low end, no real room to grow at the high end, and the likes of Sig coming in the middle with remarkably innovative products, it's just not worth it.

Add in Nikon's desire to keep tarnish off the brand by controlling retail pricing with an iron fist, the dealers have no room to move unless Nikon says it's OK.

I have Nikon EFR scopes on all my rimfires, they really are decent glass for the money. I'll give them credit for not jumping on the Made in China price point bandwagon just to make the next 3 quarters look good.

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top