JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
First off, I am not pretending to know anything of the subject so any insight will be greatly appreciated. I just ordered a reloading kit from the cabelas catalog (thats how new I am to reloading) but in terms of tumblers does it have to be specific for casings? I have a rock tumbler that I was given in my younger years (only 23 now) that had never been used. Wondering if this would work and spare me the cost of one?

I've heard of people using old rock tumblers before, and there are rotary tumblers sold as brass cleaning tumblers that resemble them. I have no clue how they work compared to vibratory cleaners.

The best way to find out is to try it out yourself!

First off, I am not pretending to know anything of the subject so any insight will be greatly appreciated. I just ordered a reloading kit from the cabelas catalog (thats how new I am to reloading) but in terms of tumblers does it have to be specific for casings? I have a rock tumbler that I was given in my younger years (only 23 now) that had never been used. Wondering if this would work and spare me the cost of one?

I use an old rock tumbler with the rubber drum but I did upgrade to a 1/3 horse motor with pully reduction. The rock tumbler motors will give up the ghost pretty quickly. It will work fine and save you some cash to start.

You can get a vibrating one from Harbor Freight for under 50 bucks and with a coupon that they usually have it will be less. I think a rotary tumbler may be even better but I've not used one. I have a good friend who uses a rotary and has loaded tens and tens of thousands of rounds of ammo. I'm sure he's into the six figure range and that rotary tumbler is all he has used.

They both do the job, a vibrating tumbler will be quicker, but the rock tumbler will let you do a wet cleaning as well as dry media. The rock tumbler I leave running overnight. The vibrating one I leave running for a couple hours.

watch Craigslist. The tumblers show up almost each week. I have both. The smaller rock tumblers (I have 2) don't hold much product but if that is what you have, use it and watch the ads.
I have had to rebuild my Hf tumbler twice in 3 years. I have had to replace the center allthread rod with quarter inch rod and then redo that again. It isn't that hard to do but does take some time. If you do this, use nylon insert nuts and lockwashers at the mount base and add one to the underside of the belly of the bowl with a washer. As those get loose or stripped out it is better to replace them.

Ok let all the Newbie questions come out. I am wondering if anyone has a quick and effective way to load custom loads. there are several I am after.

first one is combination of one .650" (65 cal.) round ball and six #1 buckshot pellets.

2nd BB and OO buckshot.

I have loaded a few by hand placing each pellet in the shell, but would like to know if there is a way to produce these rounds faster

I have seen other specialty rounds out there but am not sure where to get component parts. i.e. AP 12ga slugs.

any information would be appreciated.

That's all I use, and I use automatic dishwasher detergent and really hot water.. cleans 'em up nice and leaves a matte finish that does not give you away to the zombies :s0112:

I only run it maybe 30 minutes, and flush out the cases before the water cools

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads