JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
My next gun purchase is going to be a rifle. Most likely a .22lr and probably a Ruger 10/22. Haven't decided between bolt action or semi auto yet. I'm leaning towards bolt action because I heard it really makes the shooter become better. I don't want to spend a lot of money since I have very little experience shooting any kind of rifle. I have a pistol and a shotgun I'm competent with. Any advice is much appreciated! Thanks :)

I just sold my Hi-Point 9mm carbine and that goofy looking thing was more fun and super accurate then a lot of my other high dollar rifles.
A lot of folks put them down, but for just plain fun you can't beat them.
9mm is fairly cheap and they have a lifetime free parts replacement warranty no matter who purchased it.

I like a bolt action for a new shooter. To often semi's are too fun just to run fast. For a bolt action look at the Savage Mark II series or the Marlin XT. Both are similar priced to the 10/22.

I agree with DS I have the Mark II and it is a sweet little rifle. Plus you will get a can someday :D it is going to happen everyone gets bit by the bug.....plus with a bolt since you do not have any .22 you should be ok as it does take a while to go through it ;)

This little guy can be picked up for around 260.00 or cheaper at Sportsmans http://www.impactguns.com/savage-ma...barrel-silencer-ready-28702-062654287022.aspx

I concede 10/22's are infinitely configurable, stocks, barrels, etc.

I suggest bumming around as much as you can and shoot everything you can lay a cheek on. and then make a decision.

I would be so brazen as to post an ad for a Puget Sound .22 range day, meet some shooters, provide some ammo and ask to shoot their rifles.

Drop me a line if you ever make it down south, you can shoot the two I kept; Marlin 7000T (RPA sights) & Rem 40x (Unertl scope).

You are starting a wonderful quest, enjoy the ride, best of luck in the hunt.:)

Steve
Why does everyone refer to me as "That Guy" ?

I really appreciate all the advice everyone has given me. Steve Sloan that is a great idea to try to get a small caliber rifle range day together. Maybe once the weather gets better. There's a range/store in Tacoma (Bullseye) that has a lot of. 22lr in Stock for decent price. I will definitely keep in mind the other options everyone has mentioned. Thanks again!

MarkAd is a member from up that way. He might be able to help you out on a range day as he is a member of a club up that way. Good luck and hope you find something.

footballplaya98311,

Yeah, ..............I lied, .........that's right I lied to you.
The true path to enlightenment is called ANSCHÜTZ.

If I was much younger, I would do the following.
You don't have to suffer as we have, you may as well have the best.

Get a new charge card with an open balance of 5k+.
Call Steven Boelter @ 205-655-7500
Order Following:
Model 54
Fortner Action
17 HMR
1727 F
Classic Euro stock
5022 Match trigger:
Ask him to include case of Lapua in the order.

It is just that simple, had I only known this 30 years ago.
And we will all come to your house to shoot that holy grail of rifles.
All the best,
Steve

.22s are cheap buy a couple.
You can't go wrong with a ruger 10/22
I have an old olympic arms pump action .22lr that I've had for 23 years and it is accurate as heck.
Even as a kid I used to shoot golf balls and CO2 cartridges from 20-30 yards standing using iron sights.
I love that rifle and will never get rid of it.

Bolt guns and pump guns can eat up garbage ammo and not jam up. In my experience some ammo will jam in semi-autos.

It's just so hard to go wrong with a 10/22 as a first rifle. If you "outgrow" it you haven't lost much money, especially if you start with a used one. They're real hard to break and pretty easy to fix, so buying a used one isn't much risk either. I have a CZ 452 that I can't say enough good things about, but it cost twice as much as my 10/22 and most new shooters love them both (I love the CZ way more).

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top