JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
If any link you posted has data and I missed it I'm more than willing to look at it. I'm talking actual measured data points.

Surely the claim that properly breaking in a rifle will make it faster could be easily tested. Well, where are the data sets?

Right now your articles are about as subjective as the anecdotes you're getting from us.

I've posted two rifles, one shooting 1/4 MOA, surely you don't believe that that rifle would be more capable if I had broke it in do you?
I think this article alone says a lot. The Dirty Little Secret of Gun Cleaning Many of the writer's are speaking from a gunsmithing perspective, which I think overwhelmingly gives them the edge in the argument. Your photos show you are a great shooter, but you may never know whether proper break-in would have resulted in even more success. In the end, we may have to agree to disagree! BTW, no on on hear really believes a 100-round break-in is going to wear your barrel out sooner, do they?

I think this article alone says a lot. The Dirty Little Secret of Gun Cleaning Many of the writer's are speaking from a gunsmithing perspective, which I think overwhelmingly gives them the edge in the argument. Your photos show you are a great shooter, but you may never know whether proper break-in would have resulted in even more success. In the end, we may have to agree to disagree! BTW, no on on hear really believes a 100-round break-in is going to wear your barrel out sooner, do they?

If you're just shooting 100 rounds to shoot them for break in, then yes. As stated, some calibers have a barrel life of less than 1000 so why waste over 10% of the barrel life just on the "break in"?

That article is about how to properly clean a rifle. Unless I completely missed it can you show me where the author indicates the ritualistic "break in process" of a new barrel materially impacts

1. Accuracy
  2. How fast the barrel is
  3. "Easier" to clean
  4. Longevity

That article is about how to properly clean a rifle. Unless I completely missed it can you show me where the author indicates the ritualistic "break in process" of a new barrel materially impacts

1. Accuracy
  2. How fast the barrel is
  3. "Easier" to clean
  4. Longevity

I was going to mention the use of Kroil oil and JB Bore paste but I figured I might get more Kruel punishment comments.:rolleyes:

What is (Expert)John Krieger's opinion on the matter?

I'll simply leave THIS here. YMMV

Now that is a very fascinating and informative video on the subject, from a pretty definitive source! That information seems like the end of the argument, to me. It also mirrors what I've read from some other very serious barrel experts.

Yes, a break-in of sorts is necessary, but not the traditional hundred-round ritual.

Who or how did I "punish"?
Obviously you DO like to brag.

And what does some grainy picture on the internet prove? And what does it have to do with barrel break in?
That to me is a slap in the face when all I offer is proof of what a properly broke in accurate barrel can do whether you believe it or not.
I've only been shooting for 50 years and a Master gunsmith since 1984 after 10 years of training so I really don't have much experience.
A member asks a question and I try and give an honest answer from what I have learned from hands on experience, trial and error and doing my own 'Mythbuster" tests. I own My own Forum and we help people by teaching them the right way of doing things with discussing pros and cons without judging them . I'll shutup now....

That to me is a slap in the face when all I offer is proof of what a properly broke in accurate barrel can do whether you believe it or not.
I've only been shooting for 50 years and a Master gunsmith since 1984 after 10 years of training so I really don't have much experience.
A member asks a question and I try and give an honest answer from what I have learned from hands on experience, trial and error and doing my own 'Mythbuster" tests. I own My own Forum and we help people by teaching them the right way of doing things with discussing pros and cons without judging them . I'll shutup now....

Much respect to you sir.

Geezzz, 11 pages of proper barrel break-in... Not being a big rifle shooter, I do find the conversation and the different views interesting. Having said that, I appreciated the professionals point of views.

As for me, I always clean firearms before first shooting them. So, for the few rifles I have, simple bore snake several times and off to the range. Shoot whatever quantity of ammo I brought along, typically 50-100 rounds. Bore snake again before storage... Rinse and repeat.

I'm only looking for MOM (minute of man) accuracy anyway... But that's just me, what do I know...

For the guy who wants to do a traditional barrel break-in on his new 10/22: no offense intended, but even if there is a real advantage to the hundred-round break in, you'll never see it in an off-the-shelf standard 10/22.

I honestly would never want to discourage anyone wanting to learn all about their new gun and the best techniques and maintenance, so if you're into it and just want the experience, go for it, but I really wouldn't hope for any level of noticeable improvement with a barrel of that relatively low level of accuracy potential. Not to knock the 10/22; they're a great rifle, just not known for exceptional precision off the shelf. Absolutely nothing wrong with trying it, though, if it's what you want to do.

If there is something to a traditional break-in that enhances accuracy, I would really only expect to see it in top-end precision rifles.
Would that rifle that was not broke-in, that shoots .25moa, shoot .21moa if it had been broken in? Absolutely no way to ever know.
Would the un-broken rifle that shoots 1.75moa have been capable of .75moa if it had been broken in? No, I don't think that even the most staunch break-in believer would make that claim.

For the guy who wants to do a traditional barrel break-in on his new 10/22: no offense intended, but even if there is a real advantage to the hundred-round break in, you'll never see it in an off-the-shelf standard 10/22.

I honestly would never want to discourage anyone wanting to learn all about their new gun and the best techniques and maintenance, so if you're into it and just want the experience, go for it, but I really wouldn't hope for any level of noticeable improvement with a barrel of that relatively low level of accuracy potential. Not to knock the 10/22; they're a great rifle, just not known for exceptional precision off the shelf. Absolutely nothing wrong with trying it, though, if it's what you want to do.

If there is something to a traditional break-in that enhances accuracy, I would really only expect to see it in top-end precision rifles.
Would that rifle that was not broke-in, that shoots .25moa, shoot .21moa if it had been broken in? Absolutely no way to ever know.
Would the un-broken rifle that shoots 1.75moa have been capable of .75moa if it had been broken in? No, I don't think that even the most staunch break-in believer would make that claim.

Cleaning a 10/22 is a PITA, at least a non-takedown!

Quote from Dan Lilja who I highly respect...
"It is important to break-in a barrel though. The jacket material must be removed after every shot during the initial few rounds. If this isn't done the areas of the barrel that fouled will tend to pick up more fouling and it will build on itself. It is important to get a layer of powder fouling on top of the lands & grooves. This hard deposit will prevent the copper from stripping off the bullets. However, if the internal finish of the barrel is too rough the barrel will never be completely broken-in and fouling will always be a problem. Some barrels can't be broken-in.

A similar phenomenon can exist if the shooter uses an abrasive-type cleaner too often. The abrasives are very effective at removing all traces of both powder and jacket fouling. I mentioned that a barrel can be too smooth. The abrasives can get a barrel too clean as well and in effect the shooter is rebreaking-in the barrel again every time he cleans. This can end up in the dog-chasing-his-tail scenario."

In a .22 rifle its a bit different scenario... I shoot lubed lead standard velocity bullets first, then follow with a round or 2 of hi vel. copper coated bullets , then clean the bore with Hoppes 9. .22Lr seem to tighten up with shooting an amount of the same ammo and will change POI if you change batch numbers or brand for a few shots until the lube fouling for that bullet gets right in the barrel.
it sounds weird but our group of shooters see it during practice. We do weigh our .22 ammo each round and check rim thickness too and even then the ammo is your enemy when you get that one dropper or one flier in the same batch. It is Aggravating fun !

Upcoming Events

Teen Rifle 1 Class
Springfield, OR
Kids Firearm Safety 2 Class
Springfield, OR
Arms Collectors of Southwest Washington (ACSWW) gun show
Battle Ground, WA
Redmond Gun Show
Redmond, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top