JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
That is what I intend to do. I want a caliber that can be used for both. I know Henry has lever guns in 357 magnum ,41 magnum and 44 magnum.
If I may add....+1 on .44 magnum, and use Federal P44E ammo.
300 gr. Castcore rounds with a MV only 20 f/s slower than standard 240 gr. rounds.
Hits from a revolver with almost 900 ft./lb. ME. Caculated energy from a rifle is around 2K ME...that'll stop anything in the lower 48 AND the upper 49th, too!

Dean

LOL!....oops :rolleyes:
I got my green card there when I was 12 and I used to know some of the Iovinelli kids (sorry if that's not spelled right, its been a long time), but I haven't shot there in probably 10 years.
Are you a member?
Do they still make you join the NRA?

Dean

LOL!....oops :rolleyes:
I got my green card there when I was 12 and I used to know some of the Iovinelli kids (sorry if that's not spelled right, its been a long time), but I haven't shot there in probably 10 years.
Are you a member?
Do they still make you join the NRA?

Dean
Not a member. I just wasn't sure if you shot there based on the fact it says that you are in Poulsbo.

I have an LCR in .327 Federal. Six shots instead of the normal five. Drops in a pocket. Put it together with a Crimson Trace laser grip and it's simply an awesome and yet still controllable beast of a gun. I've gone from carrying my Sig P938 to carrying the Ruger as far as pocket carry goes, and I never thought I'd step away from the Sig. Ammo is increasingly available in some gun stores and easily available on line. Not overly expensive. Plus you can shoot .32 H&R Magnum, .32 S&W, and .32 S&W Long ammo out of it if you don't want the full power of the .327 Magnum for practice.

I have an LCR in .327 Federal. Six shots instead of the normal five. Drops in a pocket. Put it together with a Crimson Trace laser grip and it's simply an awesome and yet still controllable beast of a gun. I've gone from carrying my Sig P938 to carrying the Ruger as far as pocket carry goes, and I never thought I'd step away from the Sig. Ammo is increasingly available in some gun stores and easily available on line. Not overly expensive. Plus you can shoot .32 H&R Magnum, .32 S&W, and .32 S&W Long ammo out of it if you don't want the full power of the .327 Magnum for practice.
So, Chief.........what rifles are made in the caliber? You might want to read what he is looking for........

Yeah. Sorry and thanks for the reminder. I had the link copied but forgot to add it. Henry is now making their 2017 Big Boy (SASS Approved) lever actions in .327 Federal. I had a Henry in .44 Magnum and sold it (stupid me) but they're great guns. And where Henry goes, the others are likely to follow. Then there are firms like Ranger Point Precision that will convert 1894 Marlins over to the cartridge. Should be interesting to see where it goes. https://www.henryusa.com/rifles/big-boy/

Yeah. Sorry and thanks for the reminder. I had the link copied but forgot to add it. Henry is now making their 2017 Big Boy (SASS Approved) lever actions in .327 Federal. I had a Henry in .44 Magnum and sold it (stupid me) but they're great guns. And where Henry goes, the others are likely to follow. Then there are firms like Ranger Point Precision that will convert 1894 Marlins over to the cartridge. Should be interesting to see where it goes. https://www.henryusa.com/rifles/big-boy/
How was your Henry 44 mag? I am considering buying one.....but it has to be pretty special to surpass a good Early Marlin. I worry about a soft brass receiver stretching with age but know they also build steel receivers too.

IMHO......I'd consider a Marlin* (even a pre Rem-Marlin) before I'd consider a Henry. That's only my opinion. Though even if I was looking at a Rem-Marlin....OK, I'd have to inspect it really closely before putting my money down. BTW, the pre-Rem-Marlins are highly sought after and come at a premium now a days.

Humm....just like with the pre-Hillary Hole Smith and Wessons. Rrrrright, even though they say it's better for your safety. Can you imagine the carnage if S&W didn't include a manual with each purchase of their revolvers? OMG!

BTW....I wouldn't worry about the "brass receiver issue" with the newer Henry or the Italian Win 66. The metal isn't the same as it was (long ago).

The Marlin is not available in .327 Fed Mag (not that I know of anyway). And, just for the sake of ammo availability....I wouldn't consider the .327 platform vs. a .357 Mag/.38 Special platform. Not to mention the power factor.

Aloha, Mark

Last Edited:
IMHO......I'd consider a Marlin (even a pre Rem-Marlin) before I'd consider a Henry. That's only my opinion. Though even if I was looking at a Rem-Marlin....OK, I'd have to inspect it really closely before putting my money down. BTW, the pre-Rem-Marlins are highly sought after and come at a premium now a days.

Humm....just like with the pre-Hillary Hole Smith and Wessons. Rrrrright, even though they say it's better for your safety. Can you imagine the carnage if S&W didn't include a manual with each purchase of their revolvers? OMG!

BTW....I wouldn't worry about the "brass receiver issue" with the newer Henry or the Italian Win 66. The metal isn't the same as it was (long ago).

Aloha, Mark
The metal is better but a 44 Magnum isn't a 44-40 either. I have a difficult time warming up to the Henry's, not sure what it is......the over the top promotions probably don't help. I love both the design and manufacturing quality of an early Marlin.

From my research the Henry receivers are made from specially hardened brass that supposedly equal or exceed the strength of most steel receivers. At least that's what they advertise. The actions are just buttery smooth. The main reason people shy away from there is the tube magazines versus side port loading, especially if you're going to play in Cowbow Action Shooting, even though they're approved for it. I liked it myself because you could just unscrew the mag tube lock and instantly unload a tube, rather than cycling the action over and over again. Mine was wicked accurate out to 100-150 yards with just the adjustable sights. I ended up selling it because I've had some severe cervical spine issues and the docs told me to move away from high recoil rounds or risk some permanent injury. I had disk fusion surgery two and a half months ago and they say I can go back to shooting what I want. I haven't shot anything in that whole time and have three new handguns I haven't even fired yet, so this week is the week I go back to the range. Probably can't hit the side of a barn now, but wish me luck.

By the way, @Argonaut, are you still active duty and what's your AFSC? I was an intel type (German and Bulgarian linguist and intel analyst) and spent almost half of my career in West Berlin. I was a Senior Master Sergeant and Superintendent for one of our intel sites when the Wall fell in '89, so that's what made me my last stripe. Right place, right time. I was always lucky in that sort of thing and had great bosses, to boot, who made me do things I never would have done myself. I retired in '93 and turned myself into a psychologist. Most people said there wasn't much different in that and dealing with the intel folks I worked with and supervised. I retired from Washington County Mental Health three years ago, but still do some contract work for Multnomah County mental health system. We're out in Battle Ground now and love it.

IMHO......I'd consider a Marlin* (even a pre Rem-Marlin) before I'd consider a Henry. That's only my opinion. Though even if I was looking at a Rem-Marlin....OK, I'd have to inspect it really closely before putting my money down. BTW, the pre-Rem-Marlins are highly sought after and come at a premium now a days.

The Marlin is not available in .327 Mag (not that I know of anyway). And, just for the sake of ammo availability....I wouldn't consider the .327 platform vs. a .357 Mag/.38 Special platform.

Aloha, Mark

My understanding is that the brass is machined from billet brass and very thick. Does anybody know of a case where one has failed? I do not.

My main issue with them is I do not care for how shiny they are, and I do not like loading a tube mag from the end of the tube except on a .22 rimfire.

The .44 magnum makes for a pretty good self defense caliber out of a revolver.. I'd make sure to use full-house 180gr HP's so they'd have a hope of expanding on a 90lb hell bent miscreant though. lol

Nevermind, just looked up your patch. You've got my respect for being part of that mission. When I was in basic and in casual status for three months awaiting our clearances (back in '72), we were billeted next to the pararescue guys. Amazing bunch of people. People always think the Air Force doesn't go into harms way. My intel friends who served in Special Ops as FACs and in other roles and the pararescue guys all belie that. Nice to meet you.

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top