JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
I am looking at buying a new revolver and am asking for some input.
FIRST CRITERIA: it has to have 6 rounds capacity.
SECOND: has to be a caliber that is compatible with a rifle. Edit * lever action rifle *
THIRD: reasonably priced ammunition.
FOURTH: self defense round capable of stopping two legged and four legged animals.

What model would you choose and sell me on why it is the right model and caliber.

Last Edited:
Hard to beat .357 or .44 Magnum for this application, especially if you reload. A revolver and a lever-gun can be had in both calibers, and if you want to go a bit lighter .327 Federal is now going into lever-guns.

Hard to beat .357 or .44 Magnum for this application, especially if you reload. A revolver and a lever-gun can be had in both calibers, and if you want to go a bit lighter .327 Federal is now going into lever-guns.
That is what I intend to do. I want a caliber that can be used for both. I know Henry has lever guns in 357 magnum ,41 magnum and 44 magnum.

.357 Magnum is a the best economy for sure. It's hard to think you could go wrong with that caliber.

Both the guns and ammo .41 and .44 mag are more expensive and a little overkill for self defense. A .44 would special works just fine. But why carry large frame gun, if you're going to nerf it?

Lots of deals to be had on nice .357 magnum revolvers. A 6" revolver that you can hunt with in most states, if you get it in SA then you can take your lever gun and go to cowboy SASS shoots. I'd pick a 3-4" revolver for self defense, or even a snubbie for the days when you want to wear short shorts. I'd like a lever gun in .357 magnum too.

You are probably going to have to pony up for a lever gun no matter what caliber you choose.

I'm right there with you.

Good luck!

.357 Magnum is a the best economy for sure. It's hard to think you could go wrong with that caliber.

Both the guns and ammo .41 and .44 mag are more expensive and a little overkill for self defense. A .44 would special works just fine. But why carry large frame gun, if you're going to nerf it?

Lots of deals to be had on nice .357 magnum revolvers. A 6" revolver that you can hunt with in most states, if you get it in SA then you can take your lever gun and go to cowboy SASS shoots. I'd pick a 3-4" revolver for self defense, or even a snubbie for the days when you want to wear short shorts. I'd like a lever gun in .357 magnum too.

You are probably going to have to pony up for a lever gun no matter what caliber you choose.

Good luck!
Thanks for your time and input. I am leaning towards the 357 because I already have a 38 snubbie but wanted to give all calibers a fair shake

I suppose the final answer hinges upon which "four legged animals" you wish to stop. If you mean big game on top of varmints (the walking upright kind and the four-legged variants), I'd go .44 Magnum. If, however, you are only concerned about bipedal creatures and smaller varmints (e.g., foxes, coyotes, et al.), it is hard to beat .357 Magnum both for versatility and cost. I wouldn't discount the .41 Magnum either. Cheers.

9mm revolvers are made and it's pretty hard to beat an AR9. 9mm will do both jobs and other than reloading .38 is probably the most cost effective... I buy 50rds TulAmmo at Walmart for $7.60... not what ammo I would use for self-defense tho. But good for practice and you can always load up!

I am looking at buying a new revolver and am asking for some input.
FIRST CRITERIA: it has to have 6 rounds capacity.
SECOND: has to be a caliber that is compatible with a rifle.
THIRD: reasonably priced ammunition.
FOURTH: self defense round capable of stopping two legged and four legged animals.

What model would you choose and sell me on why it is the right model and caliber.

.22 mag?? It does meet your criteria;)

I don't care for the .44 mag lever guns. For me they have a sharp uncomfortable recoil. Just don't like the way it feels. My father has one in .357 mag and I like it fine. What about .45LC?

I am not against the 357 as I use it extensively. I bought a lever gun to match it. The fun factor was not there for me. I would prefer a 45 Colt. The 44 Rem Mag is the best choice. The only handgun match for it that I like is the Smith and Wesson Model 69 since it is an L frame. You can also shoot 44 Special through both. A reloader proposition for sure. Marlin 1895 is capable of launching high pressure ammo. Also a very fine rifle.

Good luck!
Great. Now i need to find a 45-70govt revolver.

Upcoming Events

Redmond Gun Show
Redmond, OR
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top