JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
I bought a S&W 500 Magnum in 8 3/8 barrel less than a year ago and even if you do not reload, I found 3 different manufacturers that the lightest of the three made the gun feel like a 357 Mag and the next manufacturer I tried felt like a 44 Mag. The last one I tried was a full tilt load and they kick so hard that it hurts the bone an inch south of my thumb in my hand but my wrists aren't bothered by it.

I bought a S&W 500 Magnum in 8 3/8 barrel less than a year ago and even if you do not reload, I found 3 different manufacturers that the lightest of the three made the gun feel like a 357 Mag and the next manufacturer I tried felt like a 44 Mag. The last one I tried was a full tilt load and they kick so hard that it hurts the bone an inch south of my thumb in my hand but my wrists aren't bothered by it.
We're the light loads 500 Special or loaded in 500 Magnum cases? I have the same revolver as well as a rifle but wouldn't mind a little lighter load b

We're the light loads 500 Special or loaded in 500 Magnum cases? I have the same revolver as well as a rifle but wouldn't mind a little lighter load b
500 magnum...they were about 1300 fps loads....the next I found was about 1700 fps and the kicker was 1500 fps... First two were 300 grain bullets- Last was 500 grain... I'll bet the muzzle energy on the hot load is up there..it kicked like heck

Last Edited:
For me, the worst were the 440gr (1ounce) loads from Grizzly Cartridge, those are hot, at least the batch I got. Several loose primer pockets on the first firing and sore hands!

Unless you're hunting Kodiak Bear in Alaska, a 500 is nothing but a boy toy.
Find a good 10mm with a break on it. It doesn't hurt and will get the job done.

If starting out in big-bore wheelgun land, I'd say a Smith & Wesson N-frame in .44 Magnum. Choose the finish, barrel length, et al. of your choice. It is a very nicely made revolver and offers a lot of versatility of loads; from mouse-fart Specials to fire-breathing heavies.

That said, I would be remiss if I didn't mention the Model 500. For purely gonzo purposes, it is hard to beat. But, the forty-four is likely a better starting point.

That's troubling, as far as I'm concerned.
Grizzly gets some unsavory reviews.
I contacted them with my concerns and they wanted the remainder of the five boxes I bought back. They were very stand up, paid shipping and replaced three fired boxes and an unfired box with four new boxes. I shot two cylinders full of the new stuff with similar results. They offered to replace or refund, I elected for the refund as I like my hands and gun. Can't say they are a bad company but purchase with caution.

But a fun toy it is!
I had a 5" 500 that I bought for the sole reason for "playing" with it. I had it for a couple of years before trading it off.
In the beginning I bought all of the reloaded ammo I could afford to generate cases for reloading. I reloaded and shot a lot of 400gr bullets at 1260-1300+fps. I went thru pounds of H110 and boxes of Sierra bullets Some of my friends shot one round out of it. One friend shot the whole cylinder and commented, "I don't see how anybody could call that fun." He thanked me for the opportunity and declined to shoot it anymore. This was also when I started to develop a flinch... I worked past that and learned to shoot the big beast. But the only use I had for it was splitting firewood and it was cheaper to use an axe.
The hottest ammo I shot was Hornady 350gr at almost 2k. It was off the friggin charts in speed, flame, recoil and price. Back then, once I had the case I could make one loaded round for 94 cents. Can't imagine what it costs to feed one now.
I don't miss that gun, but I'll never regret having the experience.

But a fun toy it is!
I had a 5" 500 that I bought for the sole reason for "playing" with it. I had it for a couple of years before trading it off.
In the beginning I bought all of the reloaded ammo I could afford to generate cases for reloading. I reloaded and shot a lot of 400gr bullets at 1260-1300+fps. I went thru pounds of H110 and boxes of Sierra bullets Some of my friends shot one round out of it. One friend shot the whole cylinder and commented, "I don't see how anybody could call that fun." He thanked me for the opportunity and declined to shoot it anymore. This was also when I started to develop a flinch... I worked past that and learned to shoot the big beast. But the only use I had for it was splitting firewood and it was cheaper to use an axe.
The hottest ammo I shot was Hornady 350gr at almost 2k. It was off the friggin charts in speed, flame, recoil and price. Back then, once I had the case I could make one loaded round for 94 cents. Can't imagine what it costs to feed one now.
I don't miss that gun, but I'll never regret having the experience.
American Ammunition Co sells a bulk pack of 250 rounds for $369 and it's a milder round that feels like a 44 when you shoot it...$1.47 round without reloading yourself isn't bad-

That's troubling, as far as I'm concerned.
Grizzly gets some unsavory reviews.
1700669895630.png

Aloha, Mark

Find a good 10mm with a break on it. It doesn't hurt and will get the job done.
I agree that the 10mm is an excellent choice for wilderness protection, but would note that all bears have the potential to pose extreme danger. Even black bears, seemingly easy to dispatch, have the potential to attack with overwhelming ferocity, despite being hit with whatever caliber. All wild animals can surprise with their unpredictability, but bears especially.

460 S&W. Power, versatility, and economical. You can shoot full power 400gr hard cast 460, or 454 casul and .45 LC when you're looking to save some money.

Last Edited:

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads