JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
No I don't reload but I plan to in the future. More cost effective that way.

YES. Your ammo budget can/could/will probably greatly sway your choices in the firearm you ultimately choose. It could be the difference between shooting a little and shooting a lot. Not to mention, the boost to your confidence in your platform when you practice.

Then, having access to home made "purpose built/custom ammo" can also figure into your choice.

Aloha, Mark

PS....as for the S&W internal lock. Say it this way......more parts, could mean more of a possibility of parts breakage. Think: Murphy's Law. So anyway, I don't buy S&W revolvers with the internal lock (aka: Hillary Hole). I'd rather have an older model.

STORY TIME
I've shot many, many, rounds through my Marlin. Then, one day.....I got a broken firing pin. If you don't know, Marlin uses a two piece firing pin (for more safety, they say). Well, I've since changed both of my Marlins to a one piece firing pin. But, that's ME.

Last Edited:
YES. Your ammo budget can/could/will probably greatly sway your choices in the firearm you ultimately choose. It could be the difference between shooting a little and shooting a lot. Not to mention, the boost to your confidence in your platform when you practice.

Then, having access to home made "purpose built/custom ammo" can also figure into your choice.

Aloha, Mark

PS....as for the S&W internal lock. Say it this way......more parts, could mean more of a possibility of parts breakage. Think: Murphy's Law. So anyway, I don't buy S&W revolvers with the internal lock (aka: Hillary Hole). I'd rather have an older model.

STORY TIME
I've shot many, many, rounds through my Marlin. Then, one day.....I got a broken firing pin. If you don't know, Marlin uses a two piece firing pin (for more safety, they say). Well, I've since changed both of my Marlins to a one piece firing pin. But, that's ME.
Thanks for your response and it makes sense. I have a bunch of solid advice now.

What about just removing the stuff inside to eliminate the function of the IL? I know you would still see the spot on the outside but the internal controls would be removed and it would function as any older version. I just really like S&W revolvers. Trying to find one without the hole is not as easy as it used to be.

What about just removing the stuff inside to eliminate the function of the IL? I know you would still see the spot on the outside but the internal controls would be removed and it would function as any older version. I just really like S&W revolvers. Trying to find one without the hole is not as easy as it used to be.
They are out there keep looking:p.
Be careful I find that having one isn't enough...
20160703_180209.jpg Message_1498954825654.jpg

I like the .44. But unless you are worried about a 300 + lb bear a .357 is probaly enough. I have a mdl 29 and a Marlin 94. Both are fun to shoot.
Fast Eddie mentions over kill.
Not a concept I can grasp very well. Unless you are shooting rabbits for food big holes are good.
45lc is a good choice but factory loads are weak.
If I need to kill something - I like power to spare. ...tj3006

I am looking at buying a new revolver and am asking for some input.
FIRST CRITERIA: it has to have 6 rounds capacity.
SECOND: has to be a caliber that is compatible with a rifle. Edit * lever action rifle *
THIRD: reasonably priced ammunition.
FOURTH: self defense round capable of stopping two legged and four legged animals.

What model would you choose and sell me on why it is the right model and caliber.

Here's my current setup. A 5" Ruger GP100 (nicely balanced 6-shooter that's heavy enough to absorb a good amount of recoil), and a JM stamped Marlin, both in .357 magnum. Using 180 grain hardcast rounds, deer can be taken with the revolver. I haven't taken deer with the rifle yet - maybe this year.

It's a great caliber, since I can target practice with mild .38's if I want to, and hunt with the heavier rounds.

IMG_1494.JPG

But ideally I'd like to also have a similar setup in .44 magnum, so if I want to thump something a bit harder I'll have that option.

Just get two of everything. And a really big gun safe.

I am looking at buying a new revolver and am asking for some input.
FIRST CRITERIA: it has to have 6 rounds capacity.
SECOND: has to be a caliber that is compatible with a rifle. Edit * lever action rifle *
THIRD: reasonably priced ammunition.
FOURTH: self defense round capable of stopping two legged and four legged animals.

What model would you choose and sell me on why it is the right model and caliber.

I would recommend getting a 1) S&W Model 57 in .41 Magnum. 2) Several options for Lever Guns to fire it. 3) Depends on what you call reasonable as regards cost for ammo, I have no issues with cost when considering what this round delivers! 4) Great defense round for both 2 and 4 legged animals. Has better ballistics than .44 Mag at longer ranges.

I would recommend getting a 1) S&W Model 57 in .41 Magnum. 2) Several options for Lever Guns to fire it. 3) Depends on what you call reasonable as regards cost for ammo, I have no issues with cost when considering what this round delivers! 4) Great defense round for both 2 and 4 legged animals. Has better ballistics than .44 Mag at longer ranges.

I'd have to go with M58. Something about an M&P on steroids that just tickles me.

I like it. You give sound reasons.

Interesting conversation, I have some of each I guess....lots of guns. The problem we are up against in my state is it is illegal to hunt big game with anything less than a 44 mag. 357 is a great caliber but pales in every way when compared with a 44. 45 Colt can be loaded as hot but convince a game warden of that. I spent an afternoon with Elmer Keith in the early 80's. He felt that the 44 was his crowning achievement and I agree. The only way to shoot big calibers cheep is reload. I load a 44 mag for about the same cost as a 45 ACP. The 41 mag is a useless caliber. bullet selection is poor, it won't do what a 44 will and does not shoot as nicely as a 357. I have owned many calibers and guns that were useful and fun. I had a AMT 45 Winchester Magnum that I could drive nails with at 50 feet but ammo is very difficult to find and parts can be impossible. For basic go to guns it is best to stay with common guns and calibers. My 629 has the lock system, I have never messed with it and not had any trouble. My buddy brought a new performance shop 7" 629 to the ranch on eclipse day. We shot both my 4 inch and his.....everybody shot my 4" better than his long barrel. He offered me 1000.00 and his new gun for mine......I like mine just fine and a long barrel handgun is too tough to carry. He shot a perfect score with mine on a 50' small bore target. So, get a 44, buy ammo when it is on sale, save the brass and reload. It is the most sensible choice for your criteria. I am not a fan of the big Ruger handguns, off course they are tough but also impossible to carry comfortably and feel like a club. As big as my N frames are, they feel refined and sleek compared to a Redhawk.

Last Edited:
Interesting conversation, I have some of each I guess....lots of guns. I spent an afternoon with Elmer Keith in the early 80's. My 629 has the lock system, I have never messed with it and not had any trouble. He offered me 1000.00 and his new gun for mine......I like mine just fine and a long barrel handgun is too tough to carry. He shot a perfect score with mine on a 50' small bore target. So, get a 44, buy ammo when it is on sale, save the brass and reload. It is the most sensible choice for your criteria.
Some of the most interesting and funny things I have read. Would like to have met Elmer Keith. Shows also that you don't always pick the right firearm and why it is better to try shooting it before you buy it.

Some of the most interesting and funny things I have read. Would like to have met Elmer Keith. Shows also that you don't always pick the right firearm and why it is better to try shooting it before you buy it.
It was a great experiance. He was living in Salmon Idaho. I met Jack Oconer's son when they opened the new Cabelas at Lacy in your area. I also met his dad when I was little. We lived down the street from him in Lewiston. Keith didn't think much of him........

Upcoming Events

Lakeview Spring Gun Show
Lakeview, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR
Falcon Gun Show - Classic Gun & Knife Show
Stanwood, WA
Wes Knodel Gun & Knife Show - Albany
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top