JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
They also make the special Lever Action ammo with the soft tips so you don't accidentally pop a primer in the magazine and blow your rifle (and maybe you) to Kingdom Come.

Hornady FTX Leverevolution - although I do not know of anybody who ever had this happen to them and tests have tried to make it happen and failed. Just the same, why chance it?

Shiny brass, a bit of "Bling", engraved firearms, SS, nickel plate, CCH, blue, park, coated, the worn in look, etc........ Variety is nice.....:D. That goes for stocks too. But YES, certain firearms just look like they cry out for a certain finish/look.

But then, there are those that are just plain, "Butt Ugly."

LOL, it's an opinion.

Aloha, Mark

Last Edited:
From my research the Henry receivers are made from specially hardened brass that supposedly equal or exceed the strength of most steel receivers. At least that's what they advertise. The actions are just buttery smooth. The main reason people shy away from there is the tube magazines versus side port loading, especially if you're going to play in Cowbow Action Shooting, even though they're approved for it. I liked it myself because you could just unscrew the mag tube lock and instantly unload a tube, rather than cycling the action over and over again. Mine was wicked accurate out to 100-150 yards with just the adjustable sights. I ended up selling it because I've had some severe cervical spine issues and the docs told me to move away from high recoil rounds or risk some permanent injury. I had disk fusion surgery two and a half months ago and they say I can go back to shooting what I want. I haven't shot anything in that whole time and have three new handguns I haven't even fired yet, so this week is the week I go back to the range. Probably can't hit the side of a barn now, but wish me luck.

By the way, @Argonaut, are you still active duty and what's your AFSC? I was an intel type (German and Bulgarian linguist and intel analyst) and spent almost half of my career in West Berlin. I was a Senior Master Sergeant and Superintendent for one of our intel sites when the Wall fell in '89, so that's what made me my last stripe. Right place, right time. I was always lucky in that sort of thing and had great bosses, to boot, who made me do things I never would have done myself. I retired in '93 and turned myself into a psychologist. Most people said there wasn't much different in that and dealing with the intel folks I worked with and supervised. I retired from Washington County Mental Health three years ago, but still do some contract work for Multnomah County mental health system. We're out in Battle Ground now and love it.
I spent 13 years.....a little before you. Went active duty in 1973 after a year in the Washington ANG. I held several AFC's. Trained as a Supply clerk for the ANG, was a wing Historian for a year at the 22nd Bomb Wing, then went into the rescue busisness for the balance of my years. Spent several years at Spangdahlem and Bitburg, took a medical from my last duty station at the 40th ARRS as an E7. Have been self employed and own busisnesses (marine salvage, truck companies, equipment sales, auto body shop) since. Moved home to Idaho about 6 years ago. Have a small 100 acre ranch outside of Weiser. Battleground is a bit urban for me. We live in the middle of thousands of acres of uninhabited south west Idaho......and you have to live with all the Washington Crazies. We do travel and get over that way often. May go next week, have to pickup a VW diesel pickup north of Olympia. Sounds like you had a great career.....I would never have made E9 because I was not always diplomatic.....but always got a call when something important needed taken care of.

Looks like a good one. Price is pretty retail. Not cheep enough to move me. My 80 gun safe is full......but when I see the right deal, I will find room for one. I am not really looking for a pristine collector gun. Prefer one with a little character as I will use it as intended.

I think there is a Winchester 'Ranger' in .44 mag too in the classifieds.
Never cared for the M94/M92 Winchesters, when you open the lever, they rattle like a rusty gate. the age old Marlin side eject is also superior. I know there are some really good Brownings and other brands out there but I rarely (like never) buy Japanese, Italian or Brazilian guns.

Never cared for the M94/M92 Winchesters, when you open the lever, they rattle like a rusty gate. the age old Marlin side eject is also superior. I know there are some really good Brownings and other brands out there but I rarely (like never) buy Japanese, Italian or Brazilian guns.

I grew up with a vintage '94 - I forget exactly when it was made, but probably is almost 100 years old now. I've had a few Winchester '94s, but I did not care for them - they weren't the same as the old ones, and I like Marlin 336s better.

I grew up with a vintage '94 - I forget exactly when it was made, but probably is almost 100 years old now. I've had a few Winchester '94s, but I did not care for them - they weren't the same as the old ones, and I like Marlin 336s better.
I had an original M93 Marlin that was an incredible rifle. I found it cheep in one of my pawn shop excursions but someone wanted it so I sold it to him for retail. People get fixated on Winchester levers but Marlin was a strong competitor even in the early days.

Last Edited:
Hornady makes some .44 special SD loads in 165 and 180 gr. that should work just fine on most anything in Orygun - even a black bear.
Yea, I don't trust the .44 Special with anything but SWC's.. they don't go fast enough to expand.. hence the full-power magnums for them uppity tweakers.

I spent 13 years.....a little before you. Went active duty in 1973 after a year in the Washington ANG. I held several AFC's. Trained as a Supply clerk for the ANG, was a wing Historian for a year at the 22nd Bomb Wing, then went into the rescue busisness for the balance of my years. Spent several years at Spangdahlem and Bitburg, took a medical from my last duty station at the 40th ARRS as an E7. Have been self employed and own busisnesses (marine salvage, truck companies, equipment sales, auto body shop) since. Moved home to Idaho about 6 years ago. Have a small 100 acre ranch outside of Weiser. Battleground is a bit urban for me. We live in the middle of thousands of acres of uninhabited south west Idaho......and you have to live with all the Washington Crazies. We do travel and get over that way often. May go next week, have to pickup a VW diesel pickup north of Olympia. Sounds like you had a great career.....I would never have made E9 because I was not always diplomatic.....but always got a call when something important needed taken care of.

I wasn't diplomatic, either. I just had the benefit of mostly working in operations, even up and until I was an E-9, so I was able to avoid even having to play those kind of games. My outfit in Berlin was 120 foreign linguists hidden away in Army Field Station Berlin where our command staff rarely set foot. Autonomy was a wonderful thing. I made Chief in 19 years as a result of that and pulled the plug at 21 when it was obvious I wasn't going to be able to avoid that kind of stuff forever. Besides, it was during the big post Desert Storm force reduction and nobody else could get promoted as long as I had the stripe. So I waved goodbye. Don't regret it, but I also wouldn't have done anything else with my life for those 21 years.

I wasn't diplomatic, either. I just had the benefit of mostly working in operations, even up and until I was an E-9, so I was able to avoid even having to play those kind of games. My outfit in Berlin was 120 foreign linguists hidden away in Army Field Station Berlin where our command staff rarely set foot. Autonomy was a wonderful thing. I made Chief in 19 years as a result of that and pulled the plug at 21 when it was obvious I wasn't going to be able to avoid that kind of stuff forever. Besides, it was during the big post Desert Storm force reduction and nobody else could get promoted as long as I had the stripe. So I waved goodbye. Don't regret it, but I also wouldn't have done anything else with my life for those 21 years.
So you went to the Defense Language institute in Monterey? That was supposed to be an incredible experiance. We spent 90 days in Europe a couple of falls ago, amazing how much German I lost. It is still the language to know in Europe. Even my wife's Hungarian relatives were better with German than English........and that is a language unto its own. My wife told them she would like to learn some Hungarian......there response was "why" no one else uses it. I would have thought with your background you would have been a natural for some ABC agency or international busisness. I don't regret my time either buy it was best to get out when I did. I could have stayed buy they pulled me from flight status and I would never been away from a desk. At that point it was just another job, I paid myself a lot better than they ever did and I could still play the game as I wanted. Like you, I saw a lot of history up close first hand both while in and after I got out. In the end, all any of us have is memories and stories (unless Alzheimer's gets us) guys like you and I have the best. Sometimes it reminds me of Forrest Gump. stay in touch.

Last Edited:
If you are not interested in big game and want a lighter revolver, consider the .32 H&R Magnum---it is MORE than you think! Yes, the stock cartridge was relatively weak, deliberately so because the H&R revolvers were not very strong. BUT, all other modern revolvers are very much stronger and can take a much heavier load like the Buffalo Bore, which makes a sort of ".32 Magnum +P." It is HOT and the blast from a revolver is impressive! Just do NOT use this in an H&R revolver! But I have an original S&W 632 revolver which shows absolutely no sign of wear from using the bigger load by Buffalo Bore. Ballistically it is in .38 Special +P pistol territory, and out of a rifle ought to be respectable, fast and flat shooting. There used to be lever-action rifles available in .32 H&R Magnum, but I have not checked in a decade.

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top