JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Ok but what about recoil in regards to your non dominant hand. I believe in being able to empty two cylinders of rounds easily. I have little experience with 44 and zero with 41.
Depends on the revolver.
If it's one of those airweight Scandium frames, YOU WILL BE PUNISHED.
If it has weight like a Model 29 or Redhawk you will be OK.

Also you can shoot .44 Special (lighter load) rounds for practice instead of Full House .44 Mag loads.

With your criteria I would go with .44 Magnum.

Depends on the revolver.
If it's one of those airweight Scandium frames, YOU WILL BE PUNISHED.
If it has weight like a Model 29 or Redhawk you will be OK.

Also you can shoot .44 Special (lighter load) rounds for practice instead of Full House .44 Mag loads.

With your criteria I would go with .44 Magnum.
Thanks I would go with the S&W 29 , 629, or 69 combat; if I went Smith and Ruger Alaskan if I went Ruger. And if I chose 44.

Great. Now i need to find a 45-70govt revolver.

During the course of my .45/70 time, I seriously considered one.

There is the BFR:
medium-6508.jpg

And more intriguing, at least to me, the Century Arms wheelgun:
H1097-L76848842.jpg

I am looking at buying a new revolver and am asking for some input.
FIRST CRITERIA: it has to have 6 rounds capacity.
SECOND: has to be a caliber that is compatible with a rifle. Edit * lever action rifle *
THIRD: reasonably priced ammunition.
FOURTH: self defense round capable of stopping two legged and four legged animals.

What model would you choose and sell me on why it is the right model and caliber.

I would go .44 assuming this is not going to be a CC piece for around town. For outdoors its a super round. If you want to shoot much you will I'm sure roll your own so you can load lighter for fun, something you like for defense, and full for when needed. A lever gun in this caliber is also very damn nice.

I went this route a while back, and .41 mag was my choice. If you aren't a wealthy person, reloading the .41 is the only way to go. You'll also get about as much power as possible from a revolver cartridge.
Some of the problems with this is that I don't shoot single action revolvers as well as I'd like, .41 Mag ammo is expensive, and worse yet, just finding a 41 Mag carbine is like winning the lottery.
If I was to do this again, the revolver would be a pre-lock S&W 686+. Seven rounds of ammo in a sturdy, well finished double action revolver makes a wonderful field revolver. I'd probably match it up with a Marlin 1894.

Hummm.....do you reload?

I figure that for economy.......the answer would be the .357 mag combo.

For hunting (including maybe as black bear defense) a bigger caliber like a .44 mag. Maybe a 45LC, though I figure it's better to stay away from dangerous animals. Course, there are some 45LC loads that are awesome too.

Anyway.......If it were ME.....cost and fun, would be my main motivators. So, I'd go with the .357 mag combo. And, I'd stay away from bears.

Then.....I shoot SASS. So the .357 mag combo has been my choice. I shoot a pair of .357 mag Ruger Vaqueros and a .357 mag Marlin 1894, along with a 1897 Winchester 12 ga. shotgun. But, I shoot only low powered .38 specials through my revolvers and carbine, because of the lower recoil and a speedier recovery between shots. Hey, it helps my times.

More info on SASS is available at: SASS Wire Forum
and an overview of the sport can be found here: Captain Baylor's Ranger Camp

If you're gonna spend all that money on firearms, you may as well get alot of use out of them.

Aloha, Mark

Last Edited:
I am looking at buying a new revolver and am asking for some input.
FIRST CRITERIA: it has to have 6 rounds capacity.
SECOND: has to be a caliber that is compatible with a rifle. Edit * lever action rifle *
THIRD: reasonably priced ammunition.
FOURTH: self defense round capable of stopping two legged and four legged animals.

What model would you choose and sell me on why it is the right model and caliber.
.357 gets my vote. Also easier to carry more ammo if you're planning on shooting them a lot and packing them around the woods. Lots more ammo choices in both .38 and .357 and generally more available and less expensive. A hot 158gr .357 jacketed soft point is no slouch, especially out of a carbine. I wouldn't feel under gunned.

Ok but what about recoil in regards to your non dominant hand. I believe in being able to empty two cylinders of rounds easily. I have little experience with 44 and zero with 41.

I am 6'6" and I weigh 260#

The worst recoiling handgun I ever shot was a Grendel P10 in .380. It was poorly designed and very lightweight.

My 329PD - a scandium lightweight .44 magnum approaches that recoil with the 300 grain 1300 fps bear loads I have, but does not equal, much less surpass it. That little hard plastic pistol bruised my hand when I was half my current age and had a much stronger grip.

I have faith in being able to shoot a full cylinder of full power loads from my 329PD in a "pinch" if I have to. Two cylinders of those loads? Not sure, my hand might be numb by then, but I doubt I would have time to reload anyway if I were defending myself against a brown bear. If I were defending myself against a human, I would shoot the 165 grain .44 special loads from Hornady, which are much more manageable.

If you are not concerned about brown bears, then the 165 or 180 grain .44 special loads are more than adequate against black bear, cougar and humans and are stout, but almost as manageable as the SP101 snubbie in .357 mag (not bad recoil, but significant muzzle flip) I once had, or the CA Bulldog Pug (about 3 ounces lighter than my 329PD).

But then, if you need a revolver and you are concerned about recoil, then there are heavier much more manageable .44 magnums - a S&W Mountain gun weighs almost a pound more than the 329PD. And there are the Rugers - in both .44 mag and .45 colt or even .454

My 460V is more manageable than any of those with .460 mag 200 grain FTX at 2200 fps, significantly more than my 329PD, and quite a bit more powerful, but also weighs almost twice as much, so I know I will not be carrying it anywhere except where I am fairly sure I might encounter a much larger bear - like a polar bear - or I am foregoing a rifle to hunt with the handgun.

Lots of choices. I have two .357 mags, simply because I am a prepper and that means (to me) have at least one gun in the common calibers (also why I have the 460V - to have something that will shoot .45 Colt) and because they are fun to shoot.

Lots of choices. I have two .357 mags, simply because I am a prepper and that means (to me) have at least one gun in the common calibers (also why I have the 460V - to have something that will shoot .45 Colt) and because they are fun to shoot.
Makes a lot of sense to me. I probably would have gone with the 454 casull

Last Edited:
Hummm.....do you reload?

I figure that for economy.......the answer would be the .357 mag combo.

For hunting (including maybe as black bear defense) a bigger caliber like a .44 mag. Maybe a 45LC, though I figure it's better to stay away from dangerous animals. Course, there are some 45LC loads that are awesome too.

Anyway.......If it were ME.....cost and fun, would be my main motivators. So, I'd go with the .357 mag combo. And, I'd stay away from bears.

Then.....I shoot SASS. So the .357 mag combo has been my choice. I shoot a pair of .357 mag Ruger Vaqueros and a .357 mag Marlin 1894, along with a 1897 Winchester 12 ga. shotgun. But, I shoot only low powered .38 specials through my revolvers and carbine, because of the lower recoil and a speedier recovery between shots. Hey, it helps my times.

More info on SASS is available at: SASS Wire Forum
and an overview of the sport can be found here: Captain Baylor's Ranger Camp

If you're gonna spend all that money on firearms, you may as well get alot of use out of them.

Aloha, Mark
No I don't reload but I plan to in the future. More cost effective that way.

Last Edited:

Upcoming Events

Lakeview Spring Gun Show
Lakeview, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR
Falcon Gun Show - Classic Gun & Knife Show
Stanwood, WA
Wes Knodel Gun & Knife Show - Albany
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads