JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
I'll keep my old one minty and just shoot my .38 Diamondback.

Python 002.JPG

Yeah, you'd think for that money everything would just work, but as he said, sample size of one, and everything has a chance to be faulty.

Wouldn't mind adding a 4" or 2.5" version of the Python to the stable. I'll wait til I can handle one, the aforementioned barrel lengths become available, the kinks get worked out and the pricing becomes more realistic for what they really are.

Lotsa chatter on the Colt Forum. Turns out the Python 2.0 is a bit Ruger in strength and a bit Dan Wesson in front sight interchangeability. A different action, but still V spring. D/A has been said to be excellent with none of the traditional stacking, while the S/A could use a little work - exact opposite of the first series snake. A few teething problems, but Colt is stepping up to the issues.

There's always got to be one. Gonna break the trend.
YES. I'm gonna buy one.*
(*disclaimer. I assume when I actually handle one it lives up to the billing)
Not sure if it will be the 6" or the 4". Most likely 6" since I never plan to carry it concealed.
My reasons? A new Python is less than the old one. I've wanted one for a while but not sure I wanted to spend $1200-1600 for a safe queen if I found a nice one. Also heard they where somewhat fragile except in SA.
A new one is a shooter for me AND they look cool.
The original Colt bluing is beautiful, but I've always liked the nickel finish. The new SS fits the bill for me.
If/when I pick one up, I'll most likely end up with an original too, cause it would make a cool display and.....well....Merica!:s0094:

Not in a million years, you can keep it. The Python was made by craftsmen of an era gone by, they're all retired or dead. It's like Hollywood making a re-boot of a great movie, they almost always F' it up. If you want a Python than pony up and get one, I predict this wanna be will ultimately turn out to be a wet dream to the real thing.

Having handled a couple of the new snakes, and comparing them against an original Python showed some improvements, and yet it didn't "feel" the same, the quality just wasn't quite there! I would like to handle one of the new Pythons and see how they stack up to the originals before I pass judgement, but if their anything like the new Snakes, I would pass!
Now, their new production 1911's were exceptional, every bit as good as one should expect from THE company who perfected their production and quality! Would I buy one, probably not!

Regardless of personal opinions or observations they will most likely all sell due to the hype and mystique of the Python.
Those that want one now have an opportunity for the new model for less than an 'original' and for them that's a good thing.
I still hope to see and handle one sometime but it will stay at the LGS.

Its not hard to pickup a clean, used GP100 for $500. I did that for our Real Estate agent this spring.

Will another revolver in the marketplace affect the price of others? That may depend on how many PYTHONS are made.

For me, I would rather spend that kinda coin on something else. Say, a DAN WESSON KODIAK :);):D

Colt is well aware of the market
... saw what used pieces were fetching, and didn't like that they weren't reaping any benefits, ie: $$$. They've seen that theres a market for premium revolvers and wanted in. A smart move, IMO, pricing it below a used piece but still high enough to give the owner bragging-rights.
I have not read into what differences there will be from the old ones,
Sounds like a major redesign of the internals with 14 fewer parts.
I didn't know about the internal changes. But a friend bought one and his FFL thought he'd just gotten a deal on an incredibly fresh used gun so I'm guessing any exterior changes are for the trained eye only.
Neat, I grant, but what does it really do better than my other wheelguns?
Absolutely nothing, IMO. They're cool and all, but I don't have the kind of scratch that buys much in the way of cool points. I'll pay for quality, but if I can get comparable quality for considerably less that's the route I'm taking. I think a Ruger Six-series is pretty cool and cost much less... they have their own stories to tell.

It's a definite no from me. No judgment towards those who would, I'm sure I've bought stuff others wouldn't buy, too.

As for why, from the sound of it, it's not even really the same gun as before, just similar in appearance and has the same name. Basically like a new VW Beetle vs the classic original. The new one was really just a Golf with a different body (front engine, FWD). One could argue that in more than a few regards the new one is actually a better vehicle, but that's not the point, the point is that it's not the same.

If ruger stopped making revolvers would their GP and SP models be worth $1000s later in life?

Im sorry, I think Colt is overhyped for its older days. So, they used to sell this pistol at a reasonable price, because they stopped the prices on collector grades went up. Then the re release it and they want the same price as those old collectors ones?

Are they taking pages from Sig USA marketing?

In all fairness, they haven't made the "old" one in about 15 yrs. 1 would expect the price to go up for that alone.

That being said, I still wouldn't pay their asking price.

Thing is, the new snake will have to perform. Colt LLC has done what many thought would never occur. I say give them some time to put it right. There are few S&W, Rugers etc. which have the same lockwork and dimensions as they originally did. Manufacturing technology and metallurgy have both improved and the new gun, once perfected, should be a worthy heir to the throne.

Sure, it would be great to see a $750 price tag, but that is fantasy. Or $1K. Face it: the gun has panache. Iconic handguns include the Single Action Army, the 1911, the S&W 29 and the Python. Look at the price that folks are lining up to pay for 1911 clones! $2K to $3K. AYKM?

Give Colt a break - in this increasingly oppressive anti-gun culture, they really need one. Like Remington. Distilled to its essence it is...

Don't like it? Don't buy one!

Thing is, the new snake will have to perform. Colt LLC has done what many thought would never occur. I say give them some time to put it right. There are few S&W, Rugers etc. which have the same lockwork and dimensions as they originally did. Manufacturing technology and metallurgy have both improved and the new gun, once perfected, should be a worthy heir to the throne.

Sure, it would be great to see a $750 price tag, but that is fantasy. Or $1K. Face it: the gun has panache. Iconic handguns include the Single Action Army, the 1911, the S&W 29 and the Python. Look at the price that folks are lining up to pay for 1911 clones! $2K to $3K. AYKM?

Give Colt a break - in this increasingly oppressive anti-gun culture, they really need one. Like Remington. Distilled to its essence it is...

Don't like it? Don't buy one!

No problem, I won't.

Upcoming Events

Teen Rifle 1 Class
Springfield, OR
Kids Firearm Safety 2 Class
Springfield, OR
Arms Collectors of Southwest Washington (ACSWW) gun show
Battle Ground, WA

New Resource Reviews

Back Top