JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
1) Note the comment on the S&W forum, to wit: "Never buy the Model A of anything."
This is wisdom.
It applies to everything: motorcycles, cars, guns, computer operating systems, TVs, -everything-
Do you want to pay your own $ to do their beta testing? The more ***NEW*** and different it is from previous models it is the more bugs will come to light in use with the first iterations.
2) This applies to the New Python in spades. It is a new design. Nothing is idiot proof and all the R&D and quality testing in the world can not possibly duplicate the dedicated idiocy it will encounter in the ***Real World***. Depend on the drooling masses to do stupid things that can't be anticipated, and depend on even the most dedicated manufacturing quality programs to have issues that will come up only in the ***Real World***.
3) The skill base and economic conditions do not exist that would support bringing back the original design. More's the pity.

That's a pretty broad statement.
The guy in 2018 who sold a first year Python (serial #105) on an online auction cashed a $20,700 check.

1) Note the comment on the S&W forum, to wit: "Never buy the Model A of anything."
This is wisdom.
It applies to everything: motorcycles, cars, guns, computer operating systems, TVs, -everything-
Do you want to pay your own $ to do their beta testing? The more ***NEW*** and different it is from previous models it is the more bugs will come to light in use with the first iterations.
2) This applies to the New Python in spades. It is a new design. Nothing is idiot proof and all the R&D and quality testing in the world can not possibly duplicate the dedicated idiocy it will encounter in the ***Real World***. Depend on the drooling masses to do stupid things that can't be anticipated, and depend on even the most dedicated manufacturing quality programs to have issues that will come up only in the ***Real World***.
3) The skill base and economic conditions do not exist that would support bringing back the original design. More's the pity.

That's all true... but the documented cases we have of failures with the 2020 Python don't really come from some sort semi-literate yahoos doing crazy stuff but rather experienced, knowledgeable folks firing factory loads.

Way to dig up an old thread, i'm assuming you (@muddyriver ) have one of the earlier ones that needed the work done on them. Otherwise, i have it on good authority they're very nicely balanced guns that don't have the issues you describe once Colt fixes them in the early production versions.

I am diametrically opposed to ANYTHING union.
I quit a job I LOVED in New Hampshire because they became a UAW union scum shop.
Colt is a UAW scum shop.

I'll never by a COLT firearm as they are UNION SCUM.

So, big NO from me on the revolver.

Edit to add a list of who are scum union manufacturers and who are not.

SCUM
Colt - Union Made by the UAW
Remington - Union Made by the Miners
Savage - Union Made by the Machinists
------------------------------
NOT-SCUM
Beretta
Kimber
Springfield Armory
Ithaca
Mossberg
Ruger
Sig Sauer
Smith & Wesson
Thompson Center
Winchester
Huh! I love Unions great pay great benefits and great retirement.

I like my S&W 686-1 L-Frame with a 6" barrel.

93604AB6-B5FB-4D88-A395-5B42BC3ADB5E.jpeg

Way to dig up an old thread, i'm assuming you (@muddyriver ) have one of the earlier ones that needed the work done on them. Otherwise, i have it on good authority they're very nicely balanced guns that don't have the issues you describe once Colt fixes them in the early production versions.

Yes I have one that has been sent back to Colt. When you pay that much for a gun, you would expect it to function a little better. And the asked for my original receipt. After one year of original ownership, your out of luck.

Are you affiliated with Colt? Not being snarky, just curious.
Nope, just know a couple of people who have handled them - was genuinely curious to get one - sounds like new model hickups, so not surprised.

If they come down to at least MSRP ad i have the money at the time, i'll be making the hard choice between 4 and 6 inch.

Update on my 2020 Colt Python issue. I sent it into Colt, they fixed it and sent it back approximately a 2 week turnaround. It had the cylinder locking up issue. Haven't shot it yet, but it appears to be working as advertise. GOOD JOB COLT, AND THANK YOU FOR THE FAST TURNAROUND.

The people who love to badmouth Colt and Pythons are the people who don't own a Python. I own Smith revolvers, and Ruger revolvers, and Colt revolvers. The Colt Python is legendary for a good reason.......and my 4" Anaconda isn't far behind.

1) For the $ an original Python goes for, I would throw in a little more and get a Korth.:s0116:

2) "That's all true... but the documented cases we have of failures with the 2020 Python don't really come from some sort semi-literate yahoos doing crazy stuff but rather experienced, knowledgeable folks firing factory loads."
Probably even harder to track down and deal with.

3) The new action was designed to be manufactured and assembled with minimal hand fitting, since as noted before, the craftsmen who had the skills to fit the originals have retired or gone off to the long dirt nap and it would be prohibitively expensive if the skill base was available. Look at what a Korth costs for the best materials and workmanship. A Python built like they used to be wouldn't be much less.

4) If I wanted to blow that much $ I would look for an old S&W M57 8 3/8" and still have $ left over.

Last Edited:
1) For the $ an original Python goes for, I would throw in a little more and get a Korth.:s0116:

2) "That's all true... but the documented cases we have of failures with the 2020 Python don't really come from some sort semi-literate yahoos doing crazy stuff but rather experienced, knowledgeable folks firing factory loads."
Probably even harder to track down and deal with.

3) The new action was designed to be manufactured and assembled with minimal hand fitting, since as noted before, the craftsmen who had the skills to fit the originals have retired or gone off to the long dirt nap and it would be prohibitively expensive if the skill base was available. Look at what a Korth costs for the best materials and workmanship. A Python built like they used to be wouldn't be much less.

4) If I wanted to blow that much $ I would look for an old S&W M57 8 3/8" and still have $ left over.

It's my first colt, over priced for sure. I paid 1700 for it, but I have seen them going for around 2000. I bought it because I wanted one, and have the resources to do so. In my opinion it isn't any better quality than my Smiths or Rutgers, and definitely not worth the extra money. Can't take it with you.

Well, not a colt guy here but I own one in 6". I wanted to buy an original python few years back but didnt have the money...then the prices literally doubled on them. However, I bought one of the 6" 2020. Yes $1500...but how many other guns are in that range too... I think it was a good deal, it shoots very well. I had very few problems with it but nothing that I'd be upset about to bash it that it is faulty. That gun is not designed to shoot cheap crappy ammo through it anyway.
My "malfunctions" occured within a few hundered rounds of being new plus I was new at reloading. Its well broken in now with over 5k rounds and I can't remember the last time it hung up on me. The malfunctions i had were related to some machine marks on the cylinder notches. Its probably my favorite gun to shoot now, super smooth. I can just say after holding it in my hand I thought "ok, this is a quality piece for $1500". But more thant that...some sellers ask 1900 or over 2k for it....no.

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top