JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Colt LLC has done what many thought would never occur.

Colt has been asleep at the wheel, while others have been growing. And their recent statement about AR production was a sense of the lack of direction in the company. They are an iconic name who needs a kick in the butt.

Colt has been asleep at the wheel, while others have been growing. And their recent statement about AR production was a sense of the lack of direction in the company. They are an iconic name who needs a kick in the butt.

Or another bankruptcy. :rolleyes:

I've seen one well known gun reviewer video where the brand new Python has numerous failures in under, say 100 rounds fired off camera and on camera. The reviewer also mentioned he had seen the same problem from a different reported Python owner.

I wasn't considering one at anything north of $800, and that seals the deal for me.

I really want Colt to succeed but they blew it. They've just totally and repeatedly blew it. They've basically taken the book on what NOT to do for a company and did everything in the book. Canceling popular products, stupidly relying on government contracts, insolvency, bad marketing, not listening to customers, attacking customers (the really dumb AR15 comments), and taking way way way too long to get this gun and other snake guns back to the market and at reasonable prices.

Ford doesn't make their money on selling 1 car. They make their money on volume of sales and variety of products. Colt really needs to lower manufacturing costs and pump up production and variety and hit a $800 or even $1000 target price point IMO. Why can Ruger and SW get their iconic revolvers made at that price point but Colt cannot??

I predict this fails for Colt. Unfortunately. I'd like to own a reliable one but not at the cost of a mortgage payment...

DSCN4938a.jpg
I think I'll stick with these for now

Colt knows exactly what they are doing.

They 'threw' a new Python together with some 'changes' to hopefully satisfy the market and knowing they will sell at MSRP or more (and already are).

They will produce them in limited numbers and while they are selling will continue to do so and as soon as sales soften up they stop producing them or reduce the numbers to very few.

They pulled this a few years back with the 1873 New Model Army and you never hear of any being sold.

I read a story a couple years ago there were only TWO people at Colt assembling what few 1873s they were making.

You can walk into any reasonable gun store or get online and get a modern SW for $1000. A Ruger for $800.

Why is Colt's 50% or greater more? Is it magical? Secret sauce metallurgy? Nope. Nastagia and mystique. Well, how many folks have that nastagia and mystique interest at $1500? I doubt it's many.

And it's a mistake if they want to really compete. How many people, really, want a Python safe queen enough to pay that much more for one? Some may claim it but when it comes time to pay, I don't see it being a success.

Again, way smarter to plan to produce a LOT of them at a $800 price point with a goal to put a Python in every gun owner's hand.

When Wilson Combat came out with the EDCX9, they were selling for a couple hundred over retail. A yr later and they are selling for a couple hundred UNDER retail.
If you just gotta have it, then spend your $$$ and be happy.

Me? I'll wait and take my gun bucks somewhere else.

I am diametrically opposed to ANYTHING union.
I quit a job I LOVED in New Hampshire because they became a UAW union scum shop.
Colt is a UAW scum shop.

I'll never by a COLT firearm as they are UNION SCUM.

So, big NO from me on the revolver.

Edit to add a list of who are scum union manufacturers and who are not.

SCUM
Colt - Union Made by the UAW
Remington - Union Made by the Miners
Savage - Union Made by the Machinists
------------------------------
NOT-SCUM
Beretta
Kimber
Springfield Armory
Ithaca
Mossberg
Ruger
Sig Sauer
Smith & Wesson
Thompson Center
Winchester

Last Edited:
If i was going to buy a new python, id wait until they get the bugs worked out of them. there's multiple videos online including Hickok 45 that has had failures on the new python

Just watched the Hickok video.......what a shame. I also hope Colt can get the problem solved. If and when they do I would be a buyer. Until then though I guess I'll keep buying the old ones..........like this old 1957 I found in a Medford pawn shop. IMG_6006.jpg

I think that the Colt aficionados are hoping the problems can be resolved...........until then we either wait or "steal one" because they "suck" and no one is buying and let the factory fix the problem.

1) Note the comment on the S&W forum, to wit: "Never buy the Model A of anything."
This is wisdom.
It applies to everything: motorcycles, cars, guns, computer operating systems, TVs, -everything-
Do you want to pay your own $ to do their beta testing? The more ***NEW*** and different it is from previous models it is the more bugs will come to light in use with the first iterations.
2) This applies to the New Python in spades. It is a new design. Nothing is idiot proof and all the R&D and quality testing in the world can not possibly duplicate the dedicated idiocy it will encounter in the ***Real World***. Depend on the drooling masses to do stupid things that can't be anticipated, and depend on even the most dedicated manufacturing quality programs to have issues that will come up only in the ***Real World***.
3) The skill base and economic conditions do not exist that would support bringing back the original design. More's the pity.

Upcoming Events

Teen Rifle 1 Class
Springfield, OR
Kids Firearm Safety 2 Class
Springfield, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top