JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
PeteF; If you are having to empty that thing twice a day then you have a PROBLEM. When I was stationed in the Panama CZ running an Arms Room I only had to dump the Humidifier once a month. You have a leak somewhere. Good Luck.
Did I forget to mention that the laundry room is just outside the door and the door remains partially open. There is also a furnace/storage room that is not well sealed on the other side of the laundry room. I need to put in a cat door and keep the rec room door closed. It is only bad when the outside humidity is bad. I sealed all of the concrete walls and floor in the rec room and added hard insulation to the concrete walls, so I think that I am good there. Any suggestions would be welcome.

Close off laundry room and vent that air outside. You said "it's only bad when the outside humidity is bad" that tells me you have a major air leak somewhere. You talked about a cat, if the litter box is near I would move it. Cat pee is very warm and adds to the humidity very quickly.

Close off laundry room and vent that air outside. You said "it's only bad when the outside humidity is bad" that tells me you have a major air leak somewhere. You talked about a cat, if the litter box is near I would move it. Cat pee is very warm and adds to the humidity very quickly.
The worst time of year is the spring when the weather turns warm and the humidity rises. I may have our PUD come and do a house inspection to look for leaks and suggest insulation options. It has been 20 years since they were out. I know that the sliding glass door down there needs help. We are planning a remodel for that room and the laundry room.

If the spring warming brings bad humidity in there, i would suggest there is a leak somewhere and it's basically evaporating water that's already there.

If you have a dryer there, it *must* vent outside, that will cause house problems and health problems, let alone humidity and gun problems :(

If the spring warming brings bad humidity in there, i would suggest there is a leak somewhere and it's basically evaporating water that's already there.

If you have a dryer there, it *must* vent outside, that will cause house problems and health problems, let alone humidity and gun problems :(
More likely sucking warm humid air from outside (probably leaking around sliding glass door) and laundry room. The humidity in the house upstairs rises also, but usually not above 50%. The spring humidity levels in the past few years have been higher than normal in Oregon. Feels more like the East Coast. Dryer is vented properly. The concrete walls are all sealed with concrete sealing paint - two coats. The concrete floor is sealed with petroleum based sealer when built and again before I installed carpet. Since it was formerly a garage, all of the walls and ceiling are insulated.

Current relative humidity downstairs is between 31% and 34% at 71 degrees (two meters) - very dry. Upstairs is 38% at 70 degrees. Turned the dehumidifier down, trying to keep it around 40%. It is not a problem in the late Fall, Winter and Summer. Only late Spring - wet and warmer temps so higher absolute humidity. Not much water in the tray, about gallon or two every couple of days. The reason that I installed the dehumidifier last year is for reloading. I am setting my reloading gear up in that room as part of the remodel. Never had any rust problems in the safe, but also use 2 silica gel canisters and keep my guns oiled. The room is 440 square feet.

I got my new PEET safe dryer unit that I will try instead of the dry rod dehumidifier. Hopefully the PEET air-circulating dehumidifier will do a better job. I guess I will have wait a few days or maybe a week to see it the humidity is lower. I put the plug together and set it on a glass coffee table and it gets warm. Not very warm but I blew though it and the air was a bit warmer compared to the ambient air temperature.

One of my first "Gun Safes" was in my Garage Shop building, which wasn't heated at all. The "Safe" was homemade out of 9/16" plywood and really wasn't even close to being sealed. It measured 6' wide by 1' deep and 4' in height. I had a single Golden Rod that I think was about 18". We lived with that "Safe" for about 2-1/2 to 3 years and never saw a single sign of Rust and things weren't always cleaned before they got put away. I've moved that Golden Rod from one Safe to another and it's still working fine. I think I'm about to get my money's worth considering it's now pushing 40!!!

I wouldn't have a Safe without a Golden Rod in it.

I put my PEET recirculating dryer in my safe. I replaced the 12" dry rod with the PEET unit. The humidity when I switched the units out and kept the safe door open unit I pulled the shelves out plug in the new unit was 65%. The dryer works and lowered the humidity to 53%. I have ordered a hydrometer since liberty safe monitor is at the upper right corner with the shelves and gun rack is on the left hand side.

I have checked my guns again for rust but could not find any. I will be putting the hydrometer on the left side where the guns are stored. Possibly the liberty safe sensor is too far away or something. The dryer works and I put it around the side and sits on left side of the safe door.

@Kruejl try this guy;
Liberty Safes Oregon | Gun Safe Sales in Oregon & Washington
I can't remember his name but he was excellent to deal with. We called him on a Saturday late afternoon just to establish contact. He said he was at the shop and would wait for us if we wanted to come by. Keep in mind we are about an hour away. When we got there he gave us the tour of his inventory and answered all of our questions. probably talked for a couple of hours. Decided on a Fatboy Jr., which was on sale. Asked when he could deliver it and he said he had a delivery in the morning (Sunday) but could have it to us about 1:00. We agreed on that. Called him early Sunday morning to ask if he could bring two. No problem. Showed up on time with two safes and moved them in in a matter of minutes. Yes they are 700 lbs. apiece but he doesn't need help, just get out of the way. Put them where we wanted them and no damage done. A few years later and it is time to add another safe. Call him up and he remembered us, what we bought, and approximately where he delivered it to. Had him bring another pair with the same excellent service.
Another time I was looking at buying two used non-Liberty safes at some distance. Asked him about moving them. Again, no problem. The deal fell through so I didn't need his services, but I would have used him in a minute if I had bought them. I can't say enough good things about him and his business. I only wish I had occasion to deal with him more often.
I believe the phone number on the website is his cell and I think he answers it anytime he is awake, and maybe when he is sleeping too.

@Kruejl try this guy;
Liberty Safes Oregon | Gun Safe Sales in Oregon & Washington
I can't remember his name but he was excellent to deal with. We called him on a Saturday late afternoon just to establish contact. He said he was at the shop and would wait for us if we wanted to come by. Keep in mind we are about an hour away. When we got there he gave us the tour of his inventory and answered all of our questions. probably talked for a couple of hours. Decided on a Fatboy Jr., which was on sale. Asked when he could deliver it and he said he had a delivery in the morning (Sunday) but could have it to us about 1:00. We agreed on that. Called him early Sunday morning to ask if he could bring two. No problem. Showed up on time with two safes and moved them in in a matter of minutes. Yes they are 700 lbs. apiece but he doesn't need help, just get out of the way. Put them where we wanted them and no damage done. A few years later and it is time to add another safe. Call him up and he remembered us, what we bought, and approximately where he delivered it to. Had him bring another pair with the same excellent service.
Another time I was looking at buying two used non-Liberty safes at some distance. Asked him about moving them. Again, no problem. The deal fell through so I didn't need his services, but I would have used him in a minute if I had bought them. I can't say enough good things about him and his business. I only wish I had occasion to deal with him more often.
I believe the phone number on the website is his cell and I think he answers it anytime he is awake, and maybe when he is sleeping too.

That sounds like Wayne!! :)

Can anyone point me to a Liberty dealer near me? It's time......
bought mine at the Liberty Safe Outlet in Hubbard, Oregon. Liberty Safes Oregon | Gun Safe Sales in Oregon & Washington
Delivery was free within' 50 miles. Wilco Farm Store had the same one cheaper but I would have to figure out how to get it home, so I went Liberty Safe Outlet. They did a great job bringing it into my house and placing it where I wanted.

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top