JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
I need a larger gun safe and so I am looking at some. I see that Coastal has Freedom Security Safes and I am looking at the Freedom Security American safe. I know Cabela's has some gun safes as well. What about Fort Knox or Amsec safes. The AMSEC safes are quite expensive but they sure are nice and I am looking at a BF one that weights over 1300 lbs. I will be moving north above Bellingham Washington at some point. I see that Western Safe LLC is up there but there is no physical address on their website.

I am also looking at NWSafe in Enumclaw WA at Liberty safes specifically at the Lincoln. Right now I am living closer to Enumclaw, WA so it is not that expansive for delivery at this point. But I will be moving at some point and I am not sure how much it would cost to move my safe when I move.

I am old fashioned and want a dial lock. :)

Love my Liberty! Would absolutely go back to them. The fire rating and what you get for the cost along with customer service is hands down.

Yea I do like the Liberty safe that I put together. I put together a 35 gun Lincoln safe and there are extras included with the safe like power plug, LED light kit, an a electric dehumidifier, an accessory mount for the safe door, and under the shelf jewelry door for no extra cost. Very tempting.

You really need to see what's behind the door panel.
Those big locking 2" bolts just might be a hollow tube and don't slow down the bad guys very much.

Perhaps you need to contact and talk to some insurance folks. Also maybe a good lock smith. There are safes and there are safes. You usually get what you pay for.

Respectfully.

I have the NRA ArmsCare insurance already. It was relatively inexpensive and none of my guns are worth more than $2500.00 per firearm.

Not very many people have safes in the garage or where the elements are a serious issue so If I was to do it again I would go after a storage locker modular system. Pretty funny when the metal thickness on these lockers are the same as some of the top end gun safes. Then of course watching videos of a 4" cutoff wheel going through the gun safes like butter, what's the point. Then the inside fire retardant is a joke. It's particle board with a small fire retardant fabric. Won't last in any true major fire, if the fire moves quick maybe , but not likely.
IMG_1092.PNG

I like my Liberty Safe, especially for the price. I saw a video of two men trying to break into one with pry bars. They were comparing brands and couldn't get into the Liberty. The cheaper safes lasted about 20 seconds. If I had to buy a new safe, I would look for one with a better seal for humidity control and at least 10 gauge - and twice the size. Pendleton makes some great safes, but are very expensive. Cannon also makes a safe with a lock that is both electronic and dial. The safes aren't the best, but I do like the lock. Electronic locks are faster, but the dial ones are more rugged and resistant to EMP.

Another vote for Liberty/Freedom Security safes. Either would serve you well, have great warranties and S&G locks.

I've got a Freedom Security Patriot, it runs a total of 12 locking bolts on the door, five on each side, one at the top and bottom. And they apply anti pry tabs to the locking bars. Making those locking bolts even more rigid. The Patriot has internal hinges, one less external target.

What sold me on the Liberty branded safes was the build quality at the price point. There's really nothing that compares for the price. And the fact the entire box is just two pieces of 11 ga. steel, one folded and solid welded for the sides/top/bottom and one for the back.

I wouldn't hesitate going with another Liberty branded safe...

Another vote for Liberty/Freedom Security safes. Either would serve you well, have great warranties and S&G locks.

I've got a Freedom Security Patriot, it runs a total of 12 locking bolts on the door, five on each side, one at the top and bottom. And they apply anti pry tabs to the locking bars. Making those locking bolts even more rigid. The Patriot has internal hinges, one less external target.

What sold me on the Liberty branded safes was the build quality at the price point. There's really nothing that compares for the price. And the fact the entire box is just two pieces of 11 ga. steel, one folded and solid welded for the sides/top/bottom and one for the back.

I wouldn't hesitate going with another Liberty branded safe...

Dang you should work for them. I have one and almost wanted to go buy another one just because of you. :D

I've heard great things about Liberty, can't go wrong there. Mine is a Cannon and I have to say I'm very pleased with it. It's got the combo electronic/mechanical lock, so if the electronic should ever fail (never had an issue with it), I can fall back on the mechanical. The safe itself (not the contents, of course) are covered by their lifetime warranty against natural floods, fire, attempted or actual break-ins - they will replace the safe if those things occur. I can't compare them side by side to a Liberty, but from what I've read, I suspect they are similar in how well they are built.

Cannon Safe Warranty Information | Cannon Safe

Here is their EMP lock, the one I have on mine:

Best Gun Safe For The Money, Top Rated Gun Safes - Gun Safe Reviews Guy

I decided that I didn't want to loose the cost of the less expensive safe as well as the guns in a break in so I bit the bullet finance wise and ended up with a Sturdy brand safe with the thicker steel--4 GA (shy of 1/4") walls, 3/8" steel plate door on frame of 4" C channels of 3/16" steel. Utilitarian, but I wanted to put my money towards safety rather than bling.

I'm a locksmith and I own the Amsec BF safe you mentioned, it weighs 1385 lbs, I believe and I have had it for just over 10 years now. Couple of nice things about it is between the BF rating and the weight, I can always rely upon seeing it just as I left it. It originally had a dial combo, but it currently has a Kaba Mas pushbutton lock. I originally bought it to hold all my handgun inventory, which it did just fine. I also own the lil' brother to this safe, also an Amsec BF series, but it only weighs 885 lbs.

I would definitely buy Amsec again, as they make some very tough safes

Not very many people have safes in the garage or where the elements are a serious issue so If I was to do it again I would go after a storage locker modular system. Pretty funny when the metal thickness on these lockers are the same as some of the top end gun safes. Then of course watching videos of a 4" cutoff wheel going through the gun safes like butter, what's the point. Then the inside fire retardant is a joke. It's particle board with a small fire retardant fabric. Won't last in any true major fire, if the fire moves quick maybe , but not likely.
View attachment 360705

The idea behind the fire protection is if the fire does not actually burn the whole house down. Most home fires are out before they total the home. Even if one room catches though and they get there and stop it parts of the home can get very hot. Those rated safes are going after this. That if the safe is in another part of the home the contents may, that's a big MAY, be unharmed. There is one article I have seen posted here of a place that burned down. Safe was so damaged they had to have it opened. The claim was the guns were fine. From looking at the pictures I was not so sure. The picture seemed to show some item that had been in the safe that looked to me like it got melted. In any case I would hope most have insurance. The policy we have would not replace every gun at 100% but it would give me a good head start on replacing the ones lost. If the fire is stopped in the other end of the house than the safe the fire rating may even protect the guns in there. Just one more layer of protection. If it happens I will deal with it. Nothing is 100% of course. Everyone has to decide how much protection they are willing to have.

I went to NWSafe today and bought a Summit Rainer 3064 gun safe. It was on the show room floor and it has an upgraded 1/2" steel piece on the front of the door and body is 7 gauge steel. The default steel on the door is 3/8" steel. It weighs more than a 1000 lbs and I will have it bolted to the garage floor. Comes with LEDs installed and a door organizer so I just bought a Dri Rod dehumidifier. It is not has big as the Liberty Lincoln 35 gun safe I was looking at but I like more steel in my safe.

Summit Safes – Putting Steel Back Into Safes

I guess it was 3064 which is no longer produced.

<broken link removed>

Last Edited:
In recent threads here and elsewhere it appears that thicker solid steel safes are becoming available. So far, Sturdy brand seems to have very competitive prices in comparison to similar products.

Upcoming Events

Tillamook Gun & Knife Show
Tillamook, OR
"The Original" Kalispell Gun Show
Kalispell, MT
Teen Rifle 1 Class
Springfield, OR
Kids Firearm Safety 2 Class
Springfield, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top