JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
I have my safe in an unheated space and have a Liberty safe monitor in it. Right now it shows a temperature of 55F and a humidity of 58%. I don't have any wooden stocks yet but do I need to worry? Looking on line I see that 50% what I am going for. I don't put a lot of lubrication on my guns so but I will be checking more often and see if I am getting rust. Maybe I will get a analog or digital hydrometer to compare.

I have my safe in an unheated space and have a Liberty safe monitor in it. Right now it shows a temperature of 55F and a humidity of 58%. I don't have any wooden stocks yet but do I need to worry? Looking on line I see that 50% what I am going for. I don't put a lot of lubrication on my guns so but I will be checking more often and see if I am getting rust. Maybe I will get a analog or digital hydrometer to compare.

put a dehumidifier in it. Better safe than sorry.

I'd say the humidity should be lower - about 30% - and the temperature should be s bit higher - about 10 degrees. I'd suggest you look into a Golden Rod. They're a small electrical tube that will both lower the humidity and raise the temperature. Just about any place that sells safes will have them. I've had one in my safes for the last four+ decades and they're still going strong. I have yet to have a bit of Rust that wasn't there when the gun went into the safe. You might take a look at: gunsafes.com they seem to be a good place for looking if nothing else.

I'd say the humidity should be lower - about 30% - and the temperature should be s bit higher - about 10 degrees. I'd suggest you look into a Golden Rod. They're a small electrical tube that will both lower the humidity and raise the temperature. Just about any place that sells safes will have them. I've had one in my safes for the last four+ decades and they're still going strong. I have yet to have a bit of Rust that wasn't there when the gun went into the safe. You might take a look at: gunsafes.com they seem to be a good place for looking if nothing else.

Yes I love mine! Liberty safes have them on line as well.

If you look at the RH psychrometric chart, 58% at 55°F translates to 35% at 70°F. The important thing to note here - if you open your safe while the inside is still 55°F and the garage is 40%RH at 60°F, then the water will precipitate directly onto your firearms. In short, your farked. Heat the interior of the safe, and if you're really concerned (like you drive your car into the garage), then put a dehumidifier in the garage too.....
[ETA] - I didn't give a gap enough. If it's 60% at 70°F (drove your car in from the rain), then the gun steel and safe interior will be below dew-point, and the water will bead up on the safe walls and firearms just like your windshield in the morning.

It does have a dehumidifier in the safe but it may not be enough for the fall and winter. It fills the the half with gun store and it is 18" long. Might need to upgrade to PEET dehumidifier.

https://www.amazon.com/PEET-Dryer-SafeKeeping-Dehumidifier-Cabinets/dp/B00486U71E
I'm using that same PEET, no issues as of this point. I actually checked my firearms for rust Sunday. My safe is in the garage, against an inside wall, on a rubber mat, bolted to the floor. Vehicles live outside, so humidity in the garage is kinda limited.

My dehumidifier is a dry rod and it was included by NWSafe. How is the dehumidifier postioned in your safes? My dehumidifier is all the back by the rear wall the gun storage racks are in front. Can I reposition my dehumidifier to be in front by the safe door instead?

I don't think location is critical. Guns need to be clean and dry when going into the safe or the humidity will be tough to control. Some of the Issue might be the temperature and humidity in the room where the safe is located. I suppose the safe could have been damp when it was purchased.

Bottom Line is something needs to be done. And without first hand contact it's very hard to say just what needs to be done. There are some good ideas here now it's up to the owner.:):):)

Generally, a Goldenrod is mounted horizontally 4 to 6 inches above the floor and on to the back wall of the safe where rifles are stored.
Since a rifle leans back at an angle, it's the optimal location to not be knocked off the mounting hardware and for unrestricted air flow.

Last Edited:
My safe is 50F and 55% humidity now. Checked for rust but did not see any yet and I put some lube on them a few weeks ago. I have ordered a PEET Dryer Unit instead and I will put that when I receive it.

Last Edited:
FYI, mine is inside and stays between 60 and 70, and between 40 and 50% humidity, trends more the low 40's though.

Mine is in a former garage, converted to a rec room. It is kind of like a daylight basement with lots of concrete (sealed). It is heated, but seems to be higher in humidity than the rest of the house. I put in a cheap industrial dehumidifier and keep the room at around 40% or less relative humidity. I have had to empty it twice a day in the spring (4 gallons). I also keep two large canisters of silica based drying agent in the safe. Bought two gallons (14 lbs.) of blue indicating silica gel from Amazon for around $50. It should be a lifetime supply. It is handy for putting in ammo cans and other storage boxes that may not be 100% moisture proof. Almost all of the ammo cans don't really need it, but I do have a large wooden foot locker that I did my best to seal, but have to change out the silica gel about once every two months. It holds most of my shotgun shells.

As an aside, the rec room smell a lot better since I started using the dehumidifier. It used to smell kind of musty and I had found some mold in the corners where circulation is poor. No more musty smell or mold. This is why my wife doesn't rag on me for running up the electric bill. It runs much less during the winter and summer.

PeteF; If you are having to empty that thing twice a day then you have a PROBLEM. When I was stationed in the Panama CZ running an Arms Room I only had to dump the Humidifier once a month. You have a leak somewhere. Good Luck.

I would install a condensate pump assembly that is normally used on HVAC equipment and just pump the accumulated water outside or into a nearby floor drain.
They don't cost that much and would save you a lot of trouble.

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcRWyxR_28z5HEWH_gkhV8bNqK3baUFolrZUM1_0s1jWq1u16bCN.jpg

Last Edited:

Upcoming Events

Tillamook Gun & Knife Show
Tillamook, OR
"The Original" Kalispell Gun Show
Kalispell, MT
Teen Rifle 1 Class
Springfield, OR
Kids Firearm Safety 2 Class
Springfield, OR

New Resource Reviews