JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
!!

The fully loaded versions with 35" tires and fender flares with retro colors look amazingly cool. You have to order the "Sasquatch" package to get the big tires, lol.

FRDNSUVK0158_Bronco_4D_DoorsRoof_Off_06_RGB.jpg

The base model is bit understated and comes with a 4cyl...

vehicle.png

cq5dam.web.1440.1440.jpeg

There are basically seven different models and endless configurations. The base model starts at $28k and gets you a 2.3l 4cyl and a manual transmission. The top of the line First Edition model starts at $59k and they are already all reserved. Your next step down is the WildTrak and starts at $49k. There are a few extra packages available but no word on prices. Figure another $5k you could tack on.

To get a comparable vehicle to my 4Runner, it will be about $36k, which is what my 4Runner cost.

Lots of cool gadgets and some direct shots across the bow of the Wrangler.

Actually impressive. They don't go on sale until next Spring, however. But, you can reserve one now for $100.

At least they didn't go the way of the Toyota FJ Cruiser retro thing, or the way of the PT Cruiser :s0092: Seems its been two ways for retro vehicles... either bloated, overly rounded caricatures, or shrunken, overly rounded caricatures, or overly rounded and just plain...
Lets see the retro vehicles so far...

First came the PT Cruiser, and the New Beetle,
Then the Prowler
Then the SSR (while not a bad overall design, that gimmicky roof was what killed it.)
And then HHR.. then came the Camaro and then Dodge Challenger... both of whom seems very much on the excessively bulky side. Somewhere in there was the FJ Cruiser.

The Wrangler... just grew and grew and grew while maintaining the seemingly simple look.

fj-cruiser-hornet-yellow-fj40-749x422.jpg

Interesting...

The original 1966 Ford Bronco was a tiny thing by modern standards, riding on a 92.0-inch wheelbase, standing 68.8 inches wide, and weighing 2880 pounds in U13 roadster trim. In each of those dimensions, it's dwarfed by the EcoSport, the smallest 4x4 in the modern Ford lineup. In terms of size, there aren't many modern analogues to that first Bronco. At 152.1 inches long, it's about a foot and a half shorter than a Toyota Yaris. So you know Ford wasn't going to build the 2021 Bronco to that scale. But how much bigger is the 2021 version, and how does it compare to the later, F-series–based Broncos? Let's take a look.

A base two-door 2021 Bronco rides on a 100.4-inch wheelbase and stretches 173.7 inches from bumper to bumper. So, yes, it's longer than the original but certainly more compact than the big Broncos that reigned from 1978 to 1996. The 1978 and 1979 trucks, with their solid-axle front ends, had a 104-inch wheelbase and, thanks to plenty of rear overhang, a 180.3-inch overall length. Those numbers changed a little, but not much, with the 1980 redesign, which had a little more wheelbase and a little less overall length. The full-size, based as it was on the F-series, was also bulldog wide—79.3 inches for the '78. So is the "big Bronco" still the biggest for all time? Not necessarily. Behold the four-door. (No, not the Centurion aftermarket ones from the '80s and '90s. The new one.)

ford-bronco-generation-illustration-1594671761.jpg
1966–1977 (TOP LEFT), 1978–1979 (TOP RIGHT), 1992-1996 (BOTTOM LEFT), 2021 (BOTTOM RIGHT)
ILLUSTRATION BY CLINT FORDCAR AND DRIVER

The stretched Bronco is unequivocally the longest one yet, spanning 189.4 inches—about half a foot longer than the lengthiest full-size Bronco, the 1992–1996 version. That's not too surprising, given the extra doors. What is surprising is that the 2021 Bronco, depending on trim, can be about as wide as a full-size Bronco—the Wildtrak trim is 79.3 inches wide with the mirrors folded, exactly the width of the 1978 model and slightly wider than a '92. In terms of height, the new Bronco is right on top of the towering full-size as well, standing about six feet tall or more, depending on trim. A 1984 model stood 6'2".
No question, then: the 2021 four-door casts a bigger shadow than the largest of the former Broncos. And both it and the two-door absolutely dwarf their spirit animal, the 1966. The four-door is more than three feet longer than the 1966.

So while the 2021 Bronco looks like a reincarnation of the 1960s original, in terms of dimensions it's more like the roomy full-size models that reigned from 1978 to 1996. The new Bronco looks compact, but it's sneaky big.

I saw the model line-up online last night. The Bronco Sport will start around $28K, the larger Bronco will start around $30K, But those will be stripper models and probably not numerous in dealer inventories. There are several trim/price levels beyond that, up to over $60K.

The Sport will be available later this year, the larger Bronco won't be available until early 2021.

I remember looking at new Toyota Land Cruisers in 1969. The window stickers said $3,600. When I didn't have $360 cash to my name. This was at a time when 4x4 vehicles weren't owned by many people. Mostly utility companies, etc. These had an inline 6 cylinder gas engine and a three speed manual trans, as I recall. They weren't fancy but functional.

My cousin was an early 4x4 guy. He owned a couple of International Scouts, the ones made in the early 1960's with the 4 cylinder engine. These were pretty basic vehicles. One of the places I was stationed in the army had some of these in the post motor poot; they were horrible little machines. My cousin later bought one of the late 1960's Ford Broncos.

Another family member had one of those Jeep Commandos. It was one of the later ones with the restyled body. It had an AMC V-8 engine, I think it was a 304 cu. in. with a General Motors automatic transmission. I drove this thing from Coeur d' Alene to Seattle and back one year, it was a pretty rough rider and burned a lot of fuel.

I expect the new Ford Bronco to be a comfortable, reliable machine based on my experience with contemporary vehicles. Nearly any brand or model you can think of is made better than cars of the past. And they should be at the prices asked.

Just skimming the material I've read re. the new (senior) Bronco, the manual trans will have seven gears. The automatic trans will have ten gears. Down the road, these will be expensive transmissions to repair. I remember when Ford came out with the AOD transmission. As time went by and these needed service, I remember techs saying, "Add a gear, add a grand" referring to the added cost of repairing one.

It's no Scout II.
It was never going to be small. Try building a new vehicle that meets all of the NHSTB/DOT requirements, and can fit 2 average sized Americans :rolleyes:

The Suzuki Jimny is never coming to the US because it won't sell well enough, even in the same market as the Mahindra Roxor:oops:
The trend has been clear for over 20 years. Americans, as they grow ever larger on average, are buying larger vehicles. Really, we should ditch the terms "compact","midsize","fullsize" :rolleyes: as what was full size 30 years ago is actually more like midsize now :eek:
Heck,.my 2006 Ford Freestyle? Its as wide and as spacious inside as the 1990s 4 door Explorer, and is FWD.. and outside, is rather large. Almost as large as a minivan in length :eek:

The trend has been clear for over 20 years. Americans, as they grow ever larger on average, are buying larger vehicles. Really, we should ditch the terms "compact","midsize","fullsize" :rolleyes: as what was full size 30 years ago is actually more like midsize now

I normally classify cars and meals the same: "Normal sized and American sized."

I wasn't quite taken by the new Bronco on first blush (I'm a little tired of the attempts to update/retro auto lines) but it's growing on me. I could see a soft top two door in the next couple of years, but I'm going to wait to see how the first year run goes.

After that? Trip back to Spokane and over to Wendle, most likely.

I don't think the 2 door SUVs will last much longer in this country, even the 2 door regular cab trucks are disappearing. Most of it has to do with the simple fact that more households are limiting vehicle purchases to one new vehicle, and more buyers are buying on practicalities as opposed to utility of cargo hauling or fun go around toys. If the 2 door Bronco has a 2nd row seat that's roomy then it might last a good bit while.

In the old days one could have these; a family wagon or sedan, a farm truck, a fun vehicle, be it a muscle car/hot rod, a sports car, or an off road rig... and some families could have a few farm jeeps (UTVs have basically taken that duty nowadays), in addition to the truck that hauls hay and livestock... plus the family vehicles. Nowadays, most families aren't buying separate vehicles for differing purposes, but condensing vehicles so they can still haul the kids and stuff :rolleyes: its also as much a status symbol as a practical vehicle :rolleyes:

With that said.. I'm just surprised that Ford didn't just make a 2 door version of the Expedition and call it a Bronco XLT trim package on a regular cab F150 frame :rolleyes:

I was always an IH Scout ll fan... pd $350 for my last one and tractor'd it out of a flooded IL cornfield. I replaced s few rusted hardlines (trans cooler, brakes) and drove it 100+ miles home w the seat falling through the floor (much rust). I drove and wheeled that thing for 5 more years before selling it.
They're hella 'spensive now, even for a basket case.
Now I have a 99 Cherokee (XJ) that is about the same size but pales in comparison. Live axles (but wimpy) and a, full frame (but unboxed) make it a good starting point. Too bad the roof doesn't come off.

I was always an IH Scout ll fan... pd $350 for my last one and tractor'd it out of a flooded IL cornfield. I replaced s few rusted hardlines (trans cooler, brakes) and drove it 100+ miles home w the seat falling through the floor (much rust). I drove and wheeled that thing for 5 more years before selling it.
They're hella 'spensive now, even for a basket case.
Now I have a 99 Cherokee (XJ) that is about the same size but pales in comparison. Live axles (but wimpy) and a, full frame (but unboxed) make it a good starting point. Too bad the roof doesn't come off.
As far as I remember, I thought the XJ Cherokees didn't have a frame in the sense of the typical "body bolted to frame" method but rather a structure that's a part of the body, basically a reinforcing frame welded to the floorpan/unibody?

Alcohol has a way of doing that. Trust me, I would know... :D

Upcoming Events

Lakeview Spring Gun Show
Lakeview, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR
Falcon Gun Show - Classic Gun & Knife Show
Stanwood, WA
Wes Knodel Gun & Knife Show - Albany
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads