JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
Will be 84 next month and have significant arthritis in both wrists. Long time firearms enthusiast and live on 14 acres and shoot regularly on my property.
At present have a SIG1911 C3, 45acp for my nightstand gun and practice with it on a regular basis.
I'm at the point that it is just too uncomfortable to practice with this much recoil.
I'd like to get a different pistol that would have less recoil (so I can continue to shoot approx 100 rounds every couple of weeks)...and not have so much discomfort in my wrists.
I' m thinking along the lines of the following.
1/...A pistol that I can also use as an "every day carry" weapon, if I so choose to carry if I feel the need for possible protection under certain circumstances.
2/... Suitable for being my "night stand gun".
3/... I've been handloading for 60 years, so I can tailor loads for reduced recoil.....
...possible specs on what I think I want:.....
A/...... Barrel length: approx 3.25 to 4.25 inches.
B/.....Caliber: 9mm.
C/.....A " rail" so as to mount a light or laser for use when it is on my night stand for possible SD in the dark.
D/.....Single Stack magazine(s).
E/.....External Safety lever (like on 1911)...If and when I would carry, I carry in "Condition One".
(I have had the 1911 type safety on every pistol I have ever had since the 1950s....starting with an issue 1911A1 Remington Rand.)

I am totally open to all opinions, comments and suggestions........Thank you.

Looks like spookshack and I are thinking along the same lines.
Some sort of 1911 pistol in .9mm.

I'm sorry that I can not recommend any particular models .
My experience with .9mm pistols were with models that do not fit your list.
I do not like to recommend anything I can't comment on from personal experience.
Looking forward to seeing your choice.
Andy

This pistol satisfies all of your parameters save one (I think), being that it's a double stack. Even so, most everyone (?lol) on the planet feels it's the best feeling gun on the planet.
You can carry these cocked and locked or hammer down for the first shot being DA.. your choice.

cz-usa-cz-75-sp-011-500x333.png

http://cz-usa.com/product/cz-75-sp-01-9mm-black-3-dot-tritium-sights-18-rd-mags/

Good luck!

First things first, it's awesome you're still shooting and loading at 84!

With a single stack magazine being part of your requirement, that definitely limits your choices. I'm of the mindset that if recoil is an issue, but you can still handle a heavier gun, that's your best way to go.

Sig Sauer has a 1911 available in 9mm, the Match Elite Stainless, so if you want to stay with the 1911 platform, it would be a good choice - but it's a 5" barrel, so that doesn't fit your barrel length criteria. And, it doesn't have a rail. Here is a link to Sig's website listing of this gun: http://www.sigsauer.com/CatalogProductDetails/1911-traditional-match-elite-stainless.aspx

1911T-9-SME-LARGE.jpg

My recommendation for a smooth shooting, low recoil 9mm is a Beretta 92 series. In this case, the M9A1 Compact (there is a larger frame model of the same gun). It's got a rail, a 4.25" barrel, a safety, and is a bit smaller for carry. It is a double stack magazine, and it can be difficult to find off the shelf holsters for a railed Beretta (I have a full size 96A1, so I can attest to that). That said, the gun meets almost all of your requirements and they are very good guns. Here is a link to the Beretta site on this model: http://www.beretta.com/en-us/92-compact-with-rail/#Features

J90C9F10_3QT_L_FT1.jpg

Good luck in your search.

Any chance you could download your .45acp loads to make it more comfortable to shoot while still maintaining a good defensive ft/lbs energy?

Given your requirements/situation, consider the Glock-43

-Single-stack mags
-9mm (can take hot loads, too)
-Not too heavy
-Loads of aftermarket upgrades (i.e. night sights)
-Easily concealed for everyday carry
-Within your size parameters
-Legendary Golck reliability
-Not as expensive as a 1911 style pistol
-No external safeties to fumble with under stress.

Given your requirements/situation, consider the Glock-43

-Single-stack mags
-9mm (can take hot loads, too)
-Not too heavy
-Loads of aftermarket upgrades (i.e. night sights)
-Easily concealed for everyday carry
-Within your size parameters
-Legendary Golck reliability
-Not as expensive as a 1911 style pistol
-No external safeties to fumble with under stress.
I was thinking about that as well since I have a G43. It has a snappy recoil that may be uncomfortable as well, but not truly knowing the OP's level of discomfort, it is a bit hard to give advice. I was also thinking my Kimber UCII .45 has a rather comfortable recoil for such a small .45 and the recoil impulse is not as sharp as the G43.

If the OP didn't have an aversion to .380, I would suggest the G42...now that thing is a sweet shooter with a mild recoil.

IMNSHO of course :D

Going by your own criteria a 1911 in 9mm sounds just like what you asked for to me...

Personally if recoil is an issue then I wouldn't go with any polymer based gun (Glock etc).

If your open to an option that was not asked for, the Chiapa Rhinos have made a name for themselves because the felt recoil over a standard revolver is supposedly WAY less.

You hand load so you could build your own .357 mag loads or go the .38sp in it option.

Only hold 6 rounds instead of 8 in a 1911 but it might be more recoil friendly and easier to carry daily.

I have a Charter Arms Pitbull revolver in 9MM and 40S&W for my nightstand. But they do not meet the OP's criteria. Both are 5 shooters and while they do not use moon clips, they are a little cumbersome to unload and reload
This Bill Wilson model is probably out of the price range, but it shows compact, railed, 9MM 1911's are out there

Compact Stoeger Cougar (formerly Beretta 8000 cougar) 9mm, uses a rotating barrel and it's weight (29 oz.) to give it a low felt recoil. (Beretta uses the same system in their PX4 series for considerably more $$)

stoeger-cougar-compact-review-300x224.jpg
stoeger-cougar-compact-slide-300x225.jpg
Modular-Easy-to-Customize.jpg
top 2 pics are Stoeger
bottom one is Beretta

I've only shot a Stoeger Cougar compact one time, it was very nice to shoot but the (double stack 13 rd grip) was a slightly big for my hand (I've got short fingers)...
.....so I got a model 86 Cheetah instead. upload_2016-3-2_13-37-9.png

First things first, it's awesome you're still shooting and loading at 84!

*******With a single stack magazine being part of your requirement, that definitely limits your choices********
. I'm of the mindset that if recoil is an issue, but you can still handle a heavier gun, that's your best way to go.

Sig Sauer has a 1911 available in 9mm, the Match Elite Stainless, so if you want to stay with the 1911 platform, it would be a good choice - but it's a 5" barrel, so that doesn't fit your barrel length criteria. And, it doesn't have a rail. Here is a link to Sig's website listing of this gun: http://www.sigsauer.com/CatalogProductDetails/1911-traditional-match-elite-stainless.aspx

View attachment 280864

My recommendation for a smooth shooting, low recoil 9mm is a Beretta 92 series. In this case, the M9A1 Compact (there is a larger frame model of the same gun). It's got a rail, a 4.25" barrel, a safety, and is a bit smaller for carry. ********It is a double stack magazine,********
..... and it can be difficult to find off the shelf holsters for a railed Beretta (I have a full size 96A1, so I can attest to that). That said, the gun meets almost all of your requirements and they are very good guns. Here is a link to the Beretta site on this model: http://www.beretta.com/en-us/92-compact-with-rail/#Features

View attachment 280865

Good luck in your search.

I sincerely thank everyone for their responses
........I am sorry that I did not make it clear that I mentioned SINGLE STACK magazines because I have very small hands (gloves have to be the SMALL size), and I have found that double stack magazine semi autos are usually a little too great in diameter for proper gripping with my small hands......However, I'm sure there may be some double stack pistols out there that may be "a good fit" for me!
My most important requirements include:...
3.25 to 4.25 barrel length....
Commander and/or Compact size frame...
A Rail...............
An external Safety Lever.....
And, a weight (unloaded) of approx 35 oz, OR preferably less
Thanks again for all your responses.....it is really appreciated.
.......Griz.

Compact Stoeger Cougar (formerly Beretta 8000 cougar) 9mm, uses a rotating barrel and it's weight (29 oz.) to give it a low felt recoil. (Beretta uses the same system in their PX4 series for considerably more $$)

View attachment 280936
View attachment 280937
View attachment 280938
top 2 pics are Stoeger
bottom one is Beretta

I've only shot a Stoeger Cougar compact one time, it was very nice to shoot but the (double stack 13 rd grip) was a slightly big for my hand (I've got short fingers)...
.....so I got a model 86 Cheetah instead.View attachment 280934

I'd love to get a Cheetah one of these days.

I really did NOT need to see the compact Beretta, particularly in stainless.....:(
I'd just about settled on a G17 for my venture in to 9mm then this thread came up, and the CZ75...you guys are relentless.

Brutus Out

Did I Miss a stainless 92 post ...weird.

The requirements are very tough to nail every one. The choices that I liked are

Pitbull 9mm wheelgun BUT (no safety or rail)
G43 BUT (no safety or rail)

Beretta 92 compact are amazing but the single stack version(92m) has no rail, and not cheap or easy to find. The stainless compact (92C type-M9A1)has the rail but is a double stack......MEHH
And a chance to pic hoore them both ok.
20130922_170626_2.jpg
20130922_170454_1.jpg

I'd almost think about going with an older model. I don't know how easy it will be to find the raised version, but the Smith and Wesson 3913 (TSW version for rail) is a great shooter, very mild, single stack, da/sa with an external safety

I carried a 908s for a good while, which is basically a budget version of the same (no rail), and it was a mild enough shooter to teach on, even with the most sensitive shooters. If you can live without the rail, you can find one of the 908 models cheap, I'm not sure on the 3913 TSW price, but it would be a good option.

As far as carry goes, I'm 140 pounds and it disappeared on me.

I'll second the s&w 39 series.

Honestly, if you ditch the rail requirement it open up a lot more options... People been using a flashlight in one hand and pistol in the other for decades before rails.

Just something to consider.

As far as size goes, I learned on a 39-2 single stack 9mm starting at age 4 so I would think the grip would fit all but the smallest of hands.

Last Edited:

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads